Rollei 35 - one year

You want to shoot all the year with a scale focus camera, and a 50 ISO film ? Either you plan to use heavy tripod, or you live on the moon.

My initial reaction was similar to mfogiel's, but then I took a look at your blog with your results so far. Mighty nice!
I think you would run into problems with taking pictures of people indoors/evening, but then again judging from your pictures so far this is not what interests you photographically. Or you would find a way to pull that off, too.

But you would have a very good reason (excuse) to get yourself another Rollei, maybe a black one this time :), for use with 400 speed film :)

All the best, Ljós

I use my 28 3.5 with Efke 25... No problem with natural light...

But I have better options for low light: I don't get any benefit pushing my film four stops (only IQ loss) just to "use one film only"... Why push regularly instead of using another film? (I mean, photographically...) 50 at 800 is not a push but a gross underexposure... I mean you're not worse if you use a second film... Not better if you use just one film either...

Cheers,

Juan

Yesterday I visited a Zoo with my family. Shot a roll and started to change film, during the change I managed to drop my Rollei!
One meter, on concrete! It hit the ground with the upper front corner right above the finder and rolled over the lens onto the backside. I had the back removed for changing film.
So, that was my project, I thought. I must have made a "loud" scream, because my wife and my son came to me really fast.
I lifted the camera and checked the speeds and apertures, all worked. Surprise, hope and some sort of xxx feeling! The I loaded a film, transport worked! I shot three other rolls and the developing was sort of a thrill!
To make it short, my Rollei seems OK! The top housing has a small dent above the finder, but that´s all. The show will go on!

Those are some very nice shots there. The film looks really interesting. It might be my next project once I run out of PlusX.

The R35s are durable cameras, but I swear the metal used on them were of tin. My old 35S had plenty of little dimples not from being dropped, but just the usual knocks it would take when worn around my wrist... continued to work for 5 years before I sold it though.

Big news and good that the rollei survived! I like the consistent look of the images on your blog and am curious how you will manage to get through the dark half of the year with ISO 50.

Unrelated, I noticed recently an ad on this site where there were two cameras being sold:
-Sigma DP1
-Rollei 35
Guess which camera was 50$ more expensive and sold first?

Just had a closer look at your blog and I must say, the rollei does not seem to limit your style in any way, quite on the contrary!

Zeno,

I tried leaving some comments on your blog, but for some reason it kept telling me there was "invalid characters". Do I need to register or some such?

In any case, just wanted to say that II look forward to seeing the year unfold on your blog. The Rollei is a great choice for this year-long experiment ... of course, I suspect you could make compelling images with a 110 camera with a coke bottle lens!

Kevin, thank you for your encouraging words. Comments on my blog are for registered blogger users only. I f you don´t want to register, feel free to post comments here.

I started my photgraphic journey in 1976 (?) with this
Revue Pocket 105
You see, shooting with coke bottle lenses is not new for me ;-)

Hah! Perfect -- gotta love those 110 cameras. I think the only camera I ever used that was worse than my mom's 110 was the (thankfully) short lived "Disc Camera"!

Kevin, thank you for your encouraging words. Comments on my blog are for registered blogger users only. I f you don´t want to register, feel free to post comments here.

I started my photgraphic journey in 1976 (?) with this
Revue Pocket 105
You see, shooting with coke bottle lenses is not new for me ;-)

I have some wild plans to get me old disc films and reload them with sheet film; unfortunately most of the cameras seem to have dead batteries that can be changed not easily.

That sounds like a form of self-inflicted torture! (I credit disc cameras for killing my childhood interest in photography ... though my dad's endless slide shows of sunsets may have contributed too...) :D I'm kidding of course.

I have some wild plans to get me old disc films and reload them with sheet film; unfortunately most of the cameras seem to have dead batteries that can be changed not easily.

I really like your work, Zeno. Good shooting with the Rollei !

Could't AGREE MORE w/Roland !!
Adore your Work....Great Inspiration
The Rollei's are TRES SEXY indeed
Is it a Sonnar or a Tessar ?

50 asa , 3.5..... To Hell w/Following The Crowd' :)
Cheers-Helen

Thank you Helen, your words are highly appreciated!
TRES SEXY is the right term, especially the sound of the transport lever!
My camera is the Tessar type.

I've always liked your work and your unique way of seeing the world - and I much appreciate the comments you have made from time to time. I've bookmarked your blog and look forward to seeing your Rollei journey (hopefully without further mishap!)
Regards,

Hi Zeno - I just wanted to say that I've been following the photoblog of your project and am enjoying the photos you've been posting.

Question: How easy do you find it to use the Rollei 35 indoors, or in lower light settings where you'd be more likely to be shooting wide open?

I have a Rollei 35 ... somewhere, not here, it's currently in the hands of a friend who wonders why I don't pick it up! :p

I think they are one of the world's most dented cameras ... good luck as you go Petronius and I'm sure you will continue to turn out inspired work no matter what camera you use.

:)

Back