Rollei LTM Rollei 40mm f2.8 HFT Sonnar

Rollei M39 screw mount lenses
543198-R1-02-2.jpg

543198-R1-00-0.jpg

543198-R1-01-1.jpg

While taken with a different lens,I find it interesting to compare photos from vintage lenses to those of newer lenses.

Raid

I know this is OT from original topic a bit, but here are some wide open shots with Rollei 35S.

Shot with Rollei 35S and Sonnar 40mm/2.8 Rollei-HFT lens at f/2.8, 1/250s, 1.5m or 5 feet
(focusing aid was my Bessa R2S RF-camera with W-Nikkor 3.5cm/1.8).
Rollei Retro 100 film developed in Agfa Rodinal, 1+50, 20C, 10min.

Shot with Rollei 35S and Sonnar 40mm/2.8 Rollei-HFT lens at f/2.8, 1/30s.
Rollei Retro 100 film developed in Agfa Rodinal, 1+50, 20C, 10min.

---

By the way, I also think it is strange, that Rollei GmbH wrote Rollei 35S Sonnar "does not have anything to do with the exchangeable lenses of the Rollei 35 RF". It is against their marketing hype... :) They also wrote that "Rollei had sold out this lens a long time ago" and they don't know which dealer still might have some stocks.

Last edited:
Thanks, Raid, for the beautiful portraits. You didn't shot wide open, and indeed thise lens needs to stop down a bit for best results.

As for the size: the glass of both versions has the same size. It's the brass mount and RF cam which makes the lens heavy. (It's not bigger than a 35 Summicron 4th Gen though)

As far as I know, distortion is present in every 4- or 5-element Ernostar type. Probably there isn't enough room to correct it completely with this type. With 3 groups in front of the stop and one behind, it is not in balance which causes distortion. It was never announced for architecture usage.

The deep-bluish coating (like Voigtlaender, East German Zeiss or Nikon RF lenses of the 1950's) has surprised me a lot. I'm used to modern, nearly colorless coating which effects that you barely see the glass. I guess this is one reason for it's "warm" characteristics. Don't have it used with color slide film though...

regards, Frank

Additional information from Manager Service & Logistics of Rollei GmbH, Braunschweig Germany:
---
"Yes, the new lens barrel, the other manufacturer for this and the interchangeable
character of the lens from my point of view make it a completely different
lens, although the internal structure and lens calculation are the same.
Sorry for causing confusion.
"
---

I hope this information cleared the air. :)

Last edited:
What serial numbers your lens have?

One eBay-seller states that only 200 of those lenses were made. :confused: I haven't got the verification for the figures and I don't know his information source.

I doubt that only 200 were made. They couldn't recoup their production costs by selling just 200 unless they charged a fortune for the lens.

At first the lens was only available with the body. Later, the lens was made available as a separate item. And certainly Rollei made more than 200 lenses for the entire planet.

It's highly doubtful that only 200 were made. Sounds like the typical nonsense from an uninformed eBay seller.

In any case, this is a lovely lens. Even though it's a tabbed lens. I've shot with it quite a bit and enjoy using it immensely.

It came with an LTM=>M adapter that brings up the 50mm lines, so I bought an adapter that brings up the 35mm lines, which is much closer.

I'm been very pleased with its construction and optical quality.

ZeissFan said:
In any case, this is a lovely lens. Even though it's a tabbed lens. I've shot with it quite a bit and enjoy using it immensely.

It came with an LTM=>M adapter that brings up the 50mm lines, so I bought an adapter that brings up the 35mm lines, which is much closer.

I'm been very pleased with its construction and optical quality.

Thanks for comments. 35mm is indeed quite near to 40mm.
One example here http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsuominen/557250849/

This information came about 30 minutes ago from Germany:
---
The figures from our old EDP system:

Ident 22120 - Sonnar 2.8/ 40 silver - quantity 380 units
Ident 22125 - Sonnar 2.8/ 40 black - quantity 50 units
Ident 22130 - Planar 2.8/ 80 silver - quantity 50 units
Ident 22135 - Planar 2.8/ 80 black - quantity 40 units

Each plus the quantities sold directly to Japan, however, I cannot find the
figures for this. Anyhow, the quantities mentioned above are quite small
to make the lenses rare.

These figures include already those lenses sold in the kit with the camera
body - and yes, they all were silver.

Andrea Fahlbusch
Manager Service & Logistics
Rollei GmbH, Braunschweig

---

So, the lens is indeed quite rare... Adorama and B&H might have still the black 40/2.8 version on stock.

Last edited:
I just got the 80/2.8 and have run the first films through it- seems very nice indeed, will try to print some up tonight. Knew there wern't many of these- but not this few.

ZeissFan said:
Oh, the serial number on my lens is 9250790.

Mine is 9250158. Quite a difference. Maybe serial number jumps due to different production batch.

Last edited:
Well, there goes my foot in my mouth. So it seems this lens is rather uncommon.

Let's not call it rare. After all, if it's for sale and easily available, it's hardly rare.

Let's say, it' s rare because few people wanted to buy it for the price it was asked for, like with the ZUNOW lenses 50 years ago... ;)

If anyone is interested, here are the production figures for Rollei 35 RF body:
---
I looked up how many pieces of the Rollei 35 RF were originally bought.
We ordered, received and paid 440 units of this camera body.

Andrea Fahlbusch
Manager Service & Logistics
Rollei GmbH, Braunschweig

---

Interesting...My 35RF body has a serial # of 18xx. I would assume that they made 1800 of them, even so, they seem to be rare. It's pretty clear that the R2 killed any success they might have had with the camera. However, the present kit price of less than 1K at B+H ( I paid $1100 and was glad to get it at the time) it's now a pretty good bargain. Rollei has had their marketing flubs, which is too bad because they always put out a very good product. They just can't seem to figure out how to get people to buy them...

Maybe cheaper Bessa R2, R2A, R3A, R2M, R3M bodies and CV Nokton 40mm/1.4 lens "killed" the more expensive Rollei 35 RF and Sonnar 40mm/2.8 combo?

Obviously a lens in the same small size, the same (odd) focal length, also a great performer, plus beeing two stops faster (and cheaper!) made it very hard for Rollei to sell their 40/2.8...

PS, my chrome one is S/N 9250054. Most likely the 54th of the chrome batch.
One currently in ebax has 9250797. Jari, your black lens is 9260014? I like the black, but after my experiences with some black and chrome Cosina/ Voigtländer lenses I favorize chrome.

Last edited:
Back