rolleicord/flexaret/autocord? I II III IV V .....sizes?

Macpod

Established
Local time
7:53 PM
ok. ive decided TLRs are good for me. i suppose the autocord and rolleicord are the better made units. but im ocnfised about the models. which models offer 1/500 shutter speed?

out of the above models, which ones are smaller? it has to fit into my domke 803 along with a zorki 3.

is there a good place t get CLAed units, apart from Cupog on ebay?

cheers

Yihang

Later Rolleicords (model IV for instance) have the 1/500 shutter speeds. The Rolleicord is quite compact. The size hardly differed between the models. Here is a comparison between the II and the IV, with a kitten in between to show the scale: :)
159345284.jpg

nice. even cats find these things interesting. i took my seagull to work today and everyone was lining up to hold it. i guess the seagull is ok to keep as a lomo type camera.....the shutter speeds are abit off i think. migt get some expired 120 film for it.

i did handle a rolleicord briefly and was very impressed by its contruction. the Flexaret VII also looks impressive with its silver front plate. have not seen an autocord around.

I'm assuming that is the cat that can speak 28 languages?

Stupid question: rolleicords can take 220 fiom, right?

Thanks Andrew.
I think the kitty did see a puddy-tat in the finder :D. I had this photo posted in APUG as well.

Macpod:
The Seagull seems a bit heavier and a tad larger than the Rolleicords. Just a trifle difference, really, but for some reason the Rolleicords feel "smaller" than a Seagull. The Seagull has much more in common with the Yashicamats than Rolleiflex. I would tend to believe that the Seagull was patterned after the Yashica TLRs but the Seagull used the levers instead of dials for setting the aperture and shutter. A more inexpensive and easier production recourse perhaps?

Jay

I think they are all about the same size, with the exception of the interchangeable lensed Mamiyas. I have a Ricoh Diacord (my main user), a Flexaret Va, a Minolta Autocord (an abused junker), and a Chinese Pearl River. If you want to try a TLR out without spending a lot of money I would suggest a Ricoh Diacord or a Yahsica D with the Yashinon lens. Be patient and you can get one for $50. If you like the format you can always trade up. But, with these two, you may not want to. They are great.

erikhaugsby said:
I'm assuming that is the cat that can speak 28 languages?

Stupid question: rolleicords can take 220 fiom, right?

Yes he can meow in 28 languages, but with a very siamese accent (fade in from background: "...we are siameeeese if you pleeeeasssse..." :D)

I don't know about the later cords but my II and IV will only take 120. They were made before there was 220.

Jay

Ill add yashica D and Diacor to the list. from some pictures the yashica mat 124 looks noticeably bigger than the rolleicord, is the yashica D smaller? im not talking big difference, but still noteceable when handling.

I thought i had GAS when i was comtemplating a Pentax DSLR plus a couple primes. This going back to film stuff is just rediculous. i have a zorki 3 with two jupiters on the way, a seagull in front me and about a dozen leica IIIfs and zorki 3ms on ebay watchlist. im also keeping an eye out for a cheap leica M2. And now ive added all these TLRs to mix! not to mention a dozen different films and a developing kit! its all good fun though.

EDIT: had a quick look at diacords. theres more ricohflexes on ebay. is this just an earlier model or is the difference similar to rolleicord and rolleiflex?

Last edited:
The Diacord has the better lens. It's a tessar. There are two Diacords. One with a meter and one without. Probably the one without is the better deal. The meter on the 124 probably adds a little height.

Diacords and Ricohflexes are different, in general. The flexes have helical focusing lenses and, I think three-element lenses. However, the latest Ricohflex is actually the earliest Diacord in design. You can tell because it has the combined view/taking lenses in one unit and the lever focusing.

I'm coming from a flexaret (lever focusing camera that inspired the autocord, I hear) and I just got a Rolleiflex MX--and the right hand, knob focus will take some getting used to.

Back