Rolleicord vs. Leica M3 - totally unscientific comparison

i have similar results.
Using a newish Pentax 67 with 55mm wide angle(=28mm in 35) and my old Spotmatic with 28 Super Takumar, i found the 35mm sharper and clearer than the 67! Print size about 8 x 10". The 35mm was about 6 x 9".
OH !, the 67 on tripod! I think i preferred using my 35mm SLR vs the Sumo Wrestler Extravaganza! Making very big prints would favor the 67..

The person in the first picture (and the car) make a huge difference.

Consider this:

BW-Scan-110116-0024-XL.jpg

BW-Scan-110116-0022-XL.jpg

Which do you prefer ?

Roland.

The Rolleicord photo is more Eugene Atget versus the Robert Frank type Leica shot.
Both are good but each is a different photograph regardless of the location setting.

I completely disagree with the people who are saying that the rectangle somehow is more "energetic" or pleasing than the square. I like HCB. I like Doisneau. One shot rectangles, the other squares. Both work. The energy comes from the composition, not the frame.

Just a small point of correction: Doisneau may have shot 6x6 cameras, Rolleiflexes, for much of his career, but he more often than not cropped to other formats. And often cropped the same negative differently as time went on. And adopted 35mm in the late '50s or early 60s. And shot other formats throughout his career. The number of square images you will see by him is rather small.

The answer is easy.

OP was trying to mimic the beautiful experienece of the first evening with different camera. If the Rollei was the first camera, and the Leica was the second, the result would be opposit. The copy can't be better than the original.

as someone first said before the images were put up

it has to do with the format...but moreover since the images have been posted, it's also dependent on the activity the leica image format captured that the rollei did not.

thanks for posting the images. it adds a lot to the conversation on how cameras and formats can change a seemingly similar scene into two very different pictures.

Hello Again,

As you requested ... here are the two photographs we have been discussing. I haven't processed them at all, apart from shrinking them to a reasonable size and saving as JPEGs.

Neither is great, but which do you prefer?

Sean.

i also like the m3 photo. the square format makes it a bit crowd in terms of framing. perhaps if you move back for a few steps and then take the shot with rolleicord, it could be nicer. just my two cents :angel:

Back