Rolleiflex 2.8E frame counter issue

flvU3Dp

Local time
1:10 AM
I'm thinking about purchasing a family member's Rolleiflex 2.8E. It's in very good external shape but the counter seems to be stuck at just past "4". Asking them is pointless because they know nothing about cameras. Can anybody chime in on what the issue might be? Dried lubricant or issue with transport mechanism? I'll send the camera off to get CLA'd if I purchase it but thought I'd ask the experts here too.

I’m guessing, a really big guess…. If the owner is not knowledgeable about cameras perhaps they removed a partially exposed roll and left the counter where it is. I wonder what would happen if you loaded a dummy roll and ran it through, would the counter start working?

I hope the person also knew that the film must go under the roller that senses the beginning of the film.

Glenn

The Rolleis' frame counters should reset when you open the back, midroll or not. So maybe it only partially reset, indicating something's up with at least the frame counter. I'm trying to recall how to do it, but I'm pretty sure you can fool the roller mechanism into acting as if there is film feeding through -- push down on the lower of the two rollers through which the film passes and that should engage the counter. But then I think you have to close the back so that the counter will reset when the back is opened later. This should tell you if there's a more serious film transport issue also. I assume you'll be able to check this out before agreeing to buy it -- hopefully the price is good enough to make it still worthwhile, even with any required repairs.

Following, because I have a similar (not the same) problem with the 'Flex I inherited by my dad. Never managed to load/unload it (also scarifying a roll as crash test dummy) and bring the counter up to 1 for exactly the first image. It is always off to 5 or 6 already. If someone could point to a common information link regarding this kind of problems, it would really be helpful. A year ago I gave up messing around and it is now in the queue of my old bodies requiring a professional overhaul.

Back