Rolleiflex TLR + Minox 35GT: A Tour of Venice

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
7:33 PM
This is the first part of this mini tour of Venice, Italy. I used only a Rolleiflex 2.8D and a tiny Minox 35GT. I used Fuji 100 for the Rolleiflex and Agfa 100 for the Minox. The film was developed in Germany and prints were made on Kodak Royal paper. I then scanned the 5x7 prints on a Microtrek scanner.

The Minox 35GT is not a real rangefinder camera, but it fits here in this forum. The lens is a 35mm/2.8 lens and it is not bad at all.

I hope you like this mini tour of Venice in ten images scanned from 5x7 prints taken with the Minox 35GT.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=609552

Attachments

• venice xa.JPG
    venice xa.JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 1
  • venice xa001.JPG
    venice xa001.JPG
    407.6 KB · Views: 1
  • venice xa002.JPG
    venice xa002.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Here are three photos from Venice taken with the 35GT.

Attachments

• venice xa003.JPG
    venice xa003.JPG
    393.3 KB · Views: 0
  • venice xa004.JPG
    venice xa004.JPG
    437.2 KB · Views: 0
  • venice xa005.JPG
    venice xa005.JPG
    448.2 KB · Views: 0
Here are three more photos:

Attachments

• venice xa006.JPG
    venice xa006.JPG
    332.8 KB · Views: 0
  • venice xa007.JPG
    venice xa007.JPG
    504 KB · Views: 0
  • venice xa008.JPG
    venice xa008.JPG
    324.4 KB · Views: 0
The 35GT has a whisper quiet shutter and it allowed me long exposures hand held. It is so small that most people view it as a toy, and they don't mind me using it as a street camera. It allows you to change the ASA settings manually, so it worked for me as an exposure adjustment whenever I needed it. It's a cool camera :)

Attachments

• venice xa009.JPG
    venice xa009.JPG
    266.3 KB · Views: 0
raid,

please tell me which of these photos that required your quiet shutter so that "(people) don't mid" your taking pictures. Seems to me you could fire a canon without anyone noticing, with the distance you were to them.

just wonder how your theory can be spoken out through your photos...

None of these photos needed a quiet shutter. I took several hundred photos during this trip, and I was making a comment about the quiet shutter and its usefulness when it was needed. It was a very nice thing to have a medium format camera along with a tiny 35mm camera. I did not feel that I was missing my SLR outfit and it allowed me to enjoy the trip more.

Last edited:
I must say none of these pictures have that "pop" to them. They all seem kind of muddy. Is this bad scanning or bad jpeg compression?

I can second the remarks about the Minox 35 GT. I just came back from a trip to London and Southern Spain. I brought the Minox and a Nikon SLR. The Minox is a pleasure to use and delivers excellent results. It is so small, I had it with me wherever I went. It fits easily into my jeans pocket. It's quick to operate and is great for candid photography. It's my favorite VF camera.

Could be either case. I scanned the prints on a flatbed scanner. The prints look fine to my eyes, but it could be that the scanned images have been degraded somewhat.

Dirk said:
I can second the remarks about the Minox 35 GT. I just came back from a trip to London and Southern Spain. I brought the Minox and a Nikon SLR. The Minox is a pleasure to use and delivers excellent results. It is so small, I had it with me wherever I went. It fits easily into my jeans pocket. It's quick to operate and is great for candid photography. It's my favorite VF camera.

Dirk: It is a neat little camera that you can put in your pocket and just forget about it until needed. Glad to see that you also enjoy this camera as I do.

Regards,
Raid

Nice shots, Raid, thanks for sharing. I like my 35 GL a lot, but haven't used it much since getting an XA. Nice composition and saturated colours without looking overly so to my mind.

Out of curiosity did you shoot the Minox mostly set to infinity and smaller aperatures? I've tended to get 'middle-ground' subjects out of focus when shooting wider and don't really bother to figure out hyperfocal. The gondoleer seems like an example that I would mess up with the Minox but not with my XA...

I usually set the aperture to f 8.0 on sunny days and then scale focus. The lens shows you the hyperfocal distances, unless I am mistaken. I get sharper images with the 35GT compared to my XA. Maybe it is a matter of technique and how we relax with one camera but not the other.

Last edited:
Hello raid

Enjoy your pictures and comments. What have you been using for a replacement battery for your Minox since the old mercury ones are no longer availible? I also have a Minox that needs a backup.

raid amin said:
I usually set the aperture to f 8.0 on sunny days and the scale focus. The lens shows you the hyperfocal distances, unless I am mistaken. I get sharper images with the 35GT compared to my XA. Maybe it is a matter of technique and how we relax with one camera but not the other.
Very nice pictures Raid!

As an aside, it seems that your pictures are much more saturated than what I get from my 35MB. I believe the 35GT has a UV filter which mine lacks. Whenever there's a lot of sun, I seem to lose all contrast in the pictures, but then maybe I should something different than Fuji 400..

Nonetheless, the Minox 35 is a very portable package indeed and fine for use in the streets.

you can get an adapter for about 25 bucks from minox. then you can use "normal" photo batteries.

Nice shots! Minox is a great little camera. Perfect for street shots. The shutter is the quietest I ever heard.

kaptain pip said:
Hello raid

Enjoy your pictures and comments. What have you been using for a replacement battery for your Minox since the old mercury ones are no longer availible? I also have a Minox that needs a backup.

ywenz said:
I must say none of these pictures have that "pop" to them. They all seem kind of muddy. Is this bad scanning or bad jpeg compression?

The colours are gorgeous, and "pop" plenty, on my monitor.

These are lovely, Raid; I am especially partial to that last one!

The Minox 35GT is a great travel camera. Great lens, easy to handhold to slow speeds and very good with night shots. When I travelled for work, I always had it in my bag.

You can just use two 3V batteries (CR1/3N I think) or the silver oxide replacement (PX27?). If you use the two 3V batteries, you can use the old mercury battery as an adapter. Take the outer metal casing and caps off, and inside is a plastic tube with the mercury button cells. Use the tube as the spacer and drop it in the battery compartment, and drop the 2 3V batteries in. I do this, and even shooting Velvia I have not noticed any exposure problems.

If you shoot with near to the sun, use the lens door as a make shift shade (shoot with the camera door side on to the sun, or even upside down).

The Rolleiflex and Minox make a good combination.

kaptain pip said:
Hello raid

Kaptain Pip,

I had several mercury batteries that I bought during my trips to Germany the past years, and then I bought a broken Minox that had a battery insert that allows you to use available batteries in place of the mercury batteries. I am still using the mercury batteries though since they seem to last for many years in the Mnox.

Regards,
Raid

pvdhaar said:
Very nice pictures Raid!

As an aside, it seems that your pictures are much more saturated than what I get from my 35MB. I believe the 35GT has a UV filter which mine lacks. Whenever there's a lot of sun, I seem to lose all contrast in the pictures, but then maybe I should something different than Fuji 400..

Nonetheless, the Minox 35 is a very portable package indeed and fine for use in the streets.

The Minox give sme nicely saturated colors with ASA100 print film. I usually stay away from film faster than 200 anyways. Try Fujicolor 100. It is the least expensive and best every day Fuji film in my opinion.

Regards,
Raid

lubitel said:
you can get an adapter for about 25 bucks from minox. then you can use "normal" photo batteries.

Nice shots! Minox is a great little camera. Perfect for street shots. The shutter is the quietest I ever heard.

I have to agree with you about the whipser quiet shutter. After looking at the Italy Album yesterday, and after loading up the photos, I realized that I had forgotten about my Minox for my upcoming trip to China. I will definitely have it with me as my abck-up camera. This way, I can reduce the weight.

Regards,
Raid

Back