Ross London CdeV No. 2 Petzval Lens

Hi Nokton,
I should have asked to see the engraving. If there is not anything engraved, it's not a Ross. They always proudly marked their lenses, all of the early Petzval makers did. I had a hunch it may not have been a Ross, the way the elements screwed in didn't look right. Also, the lacquer is more yellow/orange, which is how later Darlots are. As is the knob mount, but not the knob itself. I'd be interested to hear what it is, when you get it. The deep hood is characteristic of early lenses, pre Dallmeyer era.

As you may know, the french makers typically wrote on the side of the lens glass. You can see it looking at an angle, or gently remove the glass (to confirm the rear is configured right, you need to do that). Typically French makers that usually mark the glass are Jamin, Darlot, and Hermagis. Lerebours and Derogy sometimes did, but not always.

Goamules,

Thanks for that! I guess it is prolly French, and really I'm OK with that. It's not going in a camera display, I want to use it on the Makiflexes. So if it covers 9x9cm (more or less) and has swirly Petzval bokeh, and is sharp in the center, I will be quite pleased. I arrives from London on Dec 24th :) Merry Christmas to me.

I do want a high speed lens, Steven Tribe suggested knocking out the fixed aperture disc (I think that is what that is inside the lens) to gain additional speed.

Do you think this would work to increase the speed of the lens? F3.0 or F3.5 would be great! Of course I will clean it up first and check for identification clues.

New Petzval Lens on Std Makiflex by Nokton48, on Flickr

OK It's here! Viewing through it, I absolutely love it! Surprisingly sharp on the glass. Shown on Makiflex Standard Body, lens focused on infinity target. I am so glad I took a chance on getting this one.

Later today, I removed the glass elements, nothing is marked anywhere. The central stop looks like it's much later to me, and rather homemade. Made of silver metal and coated with candle soot. I removed that rather easily from inside the barrel, and now I should have an F3.0 or F3.5 lens. Without the central stop, the lens is sharp in the center, and rather swirly at the edges as I have seen in so many Petzval examples.

Now I need to find a proper flange and clean it a bit more. I am super pleased.

Unmarked Petzval Sinar Norma Board by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here is the unmarked Petzval attached to a Sinar Norma Board, using a copious amount of Gorilla Tape. So now I can mount it on my 8x10" Norma, 5x7" Norma, and 4x5" Normas. It will be interesting to determine it's actual true focal length and to examine the full image circle.

DSC05763 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is what I will use to examine the image circle of the Petzval. Seriously doubt it covers 8x10! :)

Been outside with 8x10 Norma. Focused at infinity, the mystery Petzval lens has about an 8" image circle. I can clearly see the edges of the circle (extremely swirly). Dead razor sharp in the center. Measured focal length 180mm-190mm range depending on where the lens' nodal point actually is. So quite useful focal length for my potential many uses.

Bright image on the groundglass! And I do think it is prolly a convertible Petzval, because the front and rear cells can interchange.

Comments Welcome!

-Dan

I feel very good about this new purchase. I really do think this one is super cool.

I have had no luck getting a flange from Midwest Photo, I stopped in and JimmyA tells me he sold all his stash of hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of flanges and unbelievable stash of LF lens parts. What a bummer. An incredible resource in now GONE. On the other hand, he told me who bought all the goodies and I do stay in contact with this person..............

But, I have contacted an old friend, who collects old brass lenses. We are meeting Sunday and he is bringing a baggie of flanges that are close to 79.5mm, which is what I need. Jimmy A measured it for me with digital calipers, it's 79.5mm. Flanges are difficult, my collector friend says they were sometimes one-off specific to a given lens. BTW he says he just made a giant brass lens purchase, that nearly doubled his collection of brass lenses. And believe he has a MAJOR collection. So a great time to hook up with him and have lunch

I'm now in retirement mode (four days now) and soon I will get going with all these projects. Got a honey do list to work through but I am getting there!

I know I am going to enjoy using this Petzval. I have no regrets. And there are many ways to mount a lens to a board, when you don't have a flange. We will see on Sunday when I meet with my friend.

Life is good

Magic Lantern 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Magic Lantern 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Light Duty Petzval Mounting Plaubel Board by Nokton48, on Flickr

Sure looks like this one! Magic Lantern lens. Notice the GAS PIPES for connection of projector. :/

My brass lens collecting friend concurs. But Hey, makes a GREAT camera lens! Lots of primitive character! :) Still running down a mounting flange, getting closer..........

8" or so F3.5 Petzval. Hard to find. The camera collecting group admires its condition.

Back