Russian/Ukrainian rangefinders

P

PhotoJim

Is there enough demand to warrant a separate forum for Russian (Fed, Zorki) and Ukrainian (Kiev) rangefinder cameras? There was an excellent one at delphi but it no longer exists.

I will be rearranging the layout in a couple of weeks after all of the topics get established. Once I do this, you will probably see some different categories.

And while we're at it, what about all the classic rangefinders from the 40's through the early 70's? I love my Yashica Electro GSN, my Braun Super Paxette II, and all the others that I have fun collecting and shooting! Canonet, Fujica, Super Baldina, anyone? I even have a 1970's era Fujica G690 with interchangeable lenses!

It would be fun to have a vintage rangefinder forum. I've got a Kodak Bantam Special. I've taken a few reasonable pictures with it but the rangefinder really needs adjustment. Anyone have a clue where I should send it, or whether I could do it myself

bmattock said:
I have a Zorki 4K, and would enjoy such a forum!

I have a 4K too - plus a Zorki 4 and Fed 2 and 5c - the last three are all in transit to Russia as we speak. I have a 55/2.8 Industar-61, 50/3.5 collapsible Industar-50 and 35/2.8 Jupiter-12 also.

I have as well, three FSU rangefinders (two different Keiv 4's and a Zorki 4k) on the way back to the Motherland, to Oleg for repair. I can't get the flash sync to reliably work. Of course, the black one I bought from Michael Fourman in Atlanta had to go back- it's flash sync worked fine, but the shutter was tilted so it wouldn't work at high speeds...

But the images, of course, are wonderful, from all these little beasts.

I finally got the Zorki 3M with a Jupiter-8 50 mm f2.0 last week and took it with me on a trip. I'm very impressed for the construction quality of this machine. Although the Fed2 is a really nice camera, it seems the 3M is on a different level, at least that's what you feel when it's in your hands.

I'll judge better when getting the results of the Fuji Velvia I ran trough it, but the pre-picture phase was really fun (albeit you're reading from a folk that enjoys shooting even with a Lubitel :)

This is not to blame the Fed2, which I really like a lot and in fact is so well designed that it simply becomes an extension of you while taking pictures, but to praise the Zorki 3M instead...

Maybe we should delete this thread, or prices of these wonderful FSU instruments will go up soon ! :D

BTW, I hope they keep working properly for a long time (as they are doing now). Can't speak about flash sync 'cos I haven't used it since I left using a Nikon 401s with built-in flash.

Regards,

I sent back a Kiev 4 to Michael Fourman for replacement- it was the only Kiev 4 I had (I've three) which had working flash sync, but the shutter was cockeyed- enough that the exposure at 1/500-1/1250 was very un-even across a negative. Last night I got the replacement, which today will be in the mail- after 10 test shots (and testing the flash sync) the shutter froze.

My luck with FSU camera equipment is very (VERY!) poor.

I dearly love the images I get from the cameras- all the lenses are wonderful and very complimentary with their subject, at the same time their sharpness shows through. I just can't get a working camera body. The '88CM went back twice before replace with a Hartblei, and I already explained the (now 5) not working Kiev bodies. I didn't yet mention the Zorki 4 that doesn't work...

Ah, well. Someday.

I got scared from buying this kind of cameras when I checked a website by a guy in the Philippines, describing all the pains he took in maintaining and repairing his Zorkis and Feds. Now I regret not having bought one. Where or from whom did you guys get yours? Are the Ukrainian eBay vendors reliable?

You might check out this site http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/news.htm

You will be buying things from a place in the Ukraine but paying for it will be done through a company located in Ohio.

I recently purchased a Fed 5 using this method and everything worked out fine. The camera came by means of registered mail which meant that since no one was home, I had to go to the post office and pick it up.

The package was wrapped in loose paper, something to do with postal and custom regulations, tied shut with cord.

Hi,

I don't know if it's a question of luck, but I think I've been pretty lucky with the FSU cameras I've bought, all of them trough the internet (they are priced 2 or 3 times more here in Spain, and believe me, they are not improved models, cleaned at most).

My first FSU camera was a Lubitel 166 Universal I bought after doing a pretty fast Google search here. A couple of years back, the web was not so "professional" and prices were lower. It was $45, shipment included. A bit expensive for what it is, but well inverted money, since I've enjoyed this camera a lot, and some of her pictures are between my favourites. Also, the camera came in excellent condition, all it needed was a superficial cleaning.

After that, I didn't follow the FSU camera market anymore until the ZorkiFed bug bite me.

I acquired my FED-2 from a seller mentioned
in this great site, and it resulted to be a success too ! the camera only needed a cleaning again, and after that it worked and looked perfectly. It even came with a simple but operational Leningrad-2 meter as a gift ! It was $30 this time, and about $10 more for shipment.

Later, after a bit more research, I focused my attention on the Zorki 3M, that from what I read, is one of the most fine and well-made FSU Leica copies... This time I did a complete blind eBay search. I found one that looked pretty well, the seller had good ratings (although I think you can't really trust them that much...). Well, to sum up, it resulted to be another success. After the cleaning, it works and looks excellent ! I ran some Velvia 50 trough it during my last holidays in Mochales (Guadalajara), and results with the Jupiter-8 were as good as that ones with my Minolta 50 mm f1.7.

And finally, my last acquisition has been a Jupiter-12 35 mm wide angle lens I bought again trough eBay. This time, I got it from the same seller of the FED-2, altough it wasn't from the web store, but from the auction site instead. It was described as mint, and that's exactly what I got, a mint (it looks unused) lens.

So... to sum up. I recommend you to look for minty items, and if possible, with a return warranty (some sellers offer it with all their items). Also, try not to risk too much money. I usually say that if you really need the money, then don't risk it there, and try to fix a limit, mine is around 50 EUR. This way, if you get a lemon, you won't loose too much...

This is my experience in this matter. As I said, I think I've been pretty lucky, but remember that you are always exposed to receive a lemon, and that's not the end of the world, you can always repair it, or at worst, weight some papers with it ;)

But if you get a decent one, the results and the fun they provide surpass by far the amount of money you pay for them.

I hope this helps you ! :)

By the way, only mention that I'm not connected in any way with any of the sellers I post here, and I'm sure that there are a lot more sellers out there, and that a google search will help you more than I did ;)

The "guy in the Philippines" is Jay Javier who maintains an excellent FSU camera information and repair site. Jay's speciality is Zorki 1 and FED 1 rangefinders (Leica II copies). One of the biggest problems with these older cameras is cracked shutter curtains. Jay talked me through replacing the curtains on a Zorki 1C and I have done several others since. The later Zorkis and FEDs are a little more complicated but I know several people who take them apart and put them back together on a regular basis. The most difficult camera to fix is the Kiev (Contax II copy). It is a much more complicated design--especially the vertical shutter.

The FED-2 and J-12 seller usually indicates state of shutter curtains, and indicates it when they have been replaced by new ones. It was a detail that I liked...

There are some pages out there with tips about how to repair holes in shutter curtains. Small pinholes should be easy, but if they are cracked they need further work...

Web stores usually do a CLA of their cameras before selling them, and use to offer a return/repair warranty, so they are good places to start getting these cameras, but of course, prices use to be higher...

Also, the envelopes and packages are a bit odd, but never had a problem with them, they are packed carefully enough.

Oh... just one more thing ! don't miss the russian leather smell ! Once you open one of these packages you'll never forget it ! ;)

SolaresLarrave said:
I got scared from buying this kind of cameras when I checked a website by a guy in the Philippines, describing all the pains he took in maintaining and repairing his Zorkis and Feds. Now I regret not having bought one. Where or from whom did you guys get yours? Are the Ukrainian eBay vendors reliable?

Would that have been Jay Javier's site? No reason to get scared off from the russky-cams because of Jay; he's just very knowledgeable and takes pains to make his cameras 'right.' Lots of (us) SovCam users are tinkerers, too, and there's a lot of satisfaction in tweaking a '40's or '50's photoapparat until its operates like new (or better). Actually, they're easier to work on than most r'finder cameras... - jim

I must be one of the lucky few, I've bought a Zorki 4, Fed4a, Fed 5b, Fed5c, and Fed2 all with no problems in nice working shape. Now if we're talking Zenits from US sellers, don't get me started on rip offs.

I have a Fed-5 which I have had good results with so far but was interested in augmenting it with something like a Jupiter 11 135mm lens or a Helios 85mm.

To do this, do I also need to find some sort of viewfinder adapter so that the rangefinder will still function?

Thanks!

hey davin, welcome to the forum!

to all,
i'm thinking of bidding for a russian leica copy, could use some advice as to which model would be the 'best' to start with.

joe

Before anything, just note that of course I'm only speaking of the cameras I've tried, so here it goes:

If you're not using the slow speeds at all, a late model FED-2 with an Industar 22 or even better an Industar 61 is a very good entry. I got mine from Anya and couldn't be happier. It opened a whole world for me (it was my first rangefinder). It's small, and very comfortable to use with the well placed controls and low profile. Not too quiet though.

The other option I've tried, if you're looking for something more "advanced" is try to loate a good Zorki 3M. Better stay away from the Zorki 3. It had separate wheels for normal and slow speeds and for what I read the linkage between them was their weak point. The 3M has shutter speeds going from 1 s. to 1/1000 and is far more quiet and smooth than the FED but on the bad side it has neither flash sync nor self timer.

Take a look here http://www.geocities.com/~fzorkis , Jim Blazik's web. It's the way I got involved in all this ;)

Now I only need a scanner, the one I used in my job said good-bye last monday. It seems 3 months sitting on a shelf was too much for him...

Back