S-mount 50mm lenses - 4 way comparison

jonmanjiro

Staff member
Local time
8:40 PM
Partly with the idea of working out what to sell and what to keep, last weekend I did a comparison of the four following Nikon S-mount lenses.

Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.5
Millenium Nikkor-S 50/1.4
Nikkor-S 5cm f1.4
Nikkor-H 5cm f2

I didn't work out what to sell but the results were interesting :)

As expected the Millenium Nikkor-S was the all-round best performer. It really is one fine piece of glass. The Nokton is also a fine performer, and has the flatest field of these lenses (the Millenium is very close), but it never quite catches the Millenium in sharpness. The Nikkor-S has very good central sharpness even wide open (plus a nice halo effect), but field curvature and the old design show and its pretty soft in the corners even at f5.6 and beyond. The Nikkor-H has a flatter field than the Nikkor-S and is pretty decent wide open and sharpens up nicely by f5.6 to f8.

Here's an animated gif comparison of the field curvature difference between the Millenium 50/1.4 and the Nikkor-S 5cm f1.4. Both these shots were taken at f5.6. The shot that is sharp into the corners (look at the trees) was taken with the Millenium 50. The impact is lost somewhat with the small size, but the difference is huge when viewed at full monitor size.

attachment.php

Here's a full frame shot taken with the Millenium 50/1.4 at f8. Crops to follow.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Nikkor-S new vs old.gif
    Nikkor-S new vs old.gif
    287.8 KB · Views: 3
  • a22 f8 Millenium.jpg
    a22 f8 Millenium.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Infinity Focus

Infinity Focus

100% crops from the centre of the full frame shown in my first post. All shots taken on a tripod, at infinity focus, using a cable release.

Wide open
attachment.php

f2.8
attachment.php

f8
attachment.php

Attachments

• hotel sign centre - wide open.jpg
    hotel sign centre - wide open.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 2
  • hotel sign centre - f28.jpg
    hotel sign centre - f28.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 2
  • hotel sign centre - f8.jpg
    hotel sign centre - f8.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Infinity Focus

Infinity Focus

100% crops from the upper right corner of the full frame shown in my first post.

Wide open
attachment.php

f2.8
attachment.php

f8
attachment.php

Attachments

• hotel sign offcentre - wide open.jpg
    hotel sign offcentre - wide open.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 1
  • hotel sign offcentre - f28.jpg
    hotel sign offcentre - f28.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 1
  • hotel sign offcentre - f8.jpg
    hotel sign offcentre - f8.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
50 Feet

50 Feet

Focus on sign (distance of 50 feet). Full image taken with Nikkor-S 5cm f1.4. Notice the softness in the corners even at f8.
attachment.php

50% crops of top left corner at f8.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 23 f8 Nikkor-S.jpg
    23 f8 Nikkor-S.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 0
  • greenery f8.jpg
    greenery f8.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks for the comparison Jon, and I like how you presented everything. It's always interesting to see how little these lenses differ, especially if you look at the image as a whole or without comparison.

Hi Jon,

Great test. Before I got my 50 millennium I was trying to decide on a 50mm for my SP and thought about all the lenses you have here. I ended up getting a Carl Zeiss Tessar 3.5/50 because it has the reputation of being the best optics of the classic 50s. I haven't done a side by side with the millennium yet but with the few exposures I've made with it can say its a very nice lens, single coated but good flare control, good in the close-up range, smooth bokeh and very sharp even if its not so fast, and its heavy brass but small, a nice alternative with something different to the Nikkor new lens.

Minimum Focus

Minimum Focus

Full frame at minimum focus taken with Millenium 50/1.4 at f2.
attachment.php

100% crops from center at f2 and minimum focus.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 02 f2 Millenium.jpg
    02 f2 Millenium.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 1
  • minimum focus f2.jpg
    minimum focus f2.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Great comparison. This reinforces what I've seen from the Millenium and what I see from my vintage Nikkor 5cm, 1.4. I'd be interested in a similar test with a subject much closer to the lens. That seems to be the type of shot where I like my old lens the best.

sbug said:
Great comparison. This reinforces what I've seen from the Millenium and what I see from my vintage Nikkor 5cm, 1.4. I'd be interested in a similar test with a subject much closer to the lens. That seems to be the type of shot where I like my old lens the best.

I posted one set of minimum focus shots above. Must have been uploading when you posted :) After doing these tests I can see that I won't be reaching for the vintage Nikkor-S 5cm f1.4 to shoot landscapes, but it still does a good job up close and wide open or close to wide open. Definitely a low light up close and intimate type of lens.

The Old 5cm f1.4 Nikkor-S may not compete as well with color film under close scrutiny but in my eyes, it's certainly got a "glow". pretty good for a 50 year old lens, eh?

Kiu

Last edited:
dreamsandart said:
I ended up getting a Carl Zeiss Tessar 3.5/50 because it has the reputation of being the best optics of the classic 50s. I haven't done a side by side with the millennium yet but with the few exposures I've made with it can say its a very nice lens, single coated but good flare control, good in the close-up range, smooth bokeh and very sharp even if its not so fast, and its heavy brass but small, a nice alternative with something different to the Nikkor new lens.

Another lens I'd like to try out :) Is it S-mount, or do you use it with an Orion type adapter?

a Contax mount 5cm Tessar would be a direct fit on a Nikon rangefinder camera.
the f3.5 max aperture might be deep enough to hide any focus incompatability between Contax and Nikon.

The person I bought the Tessar from was using it on an S2 and didn't have any focusing issues. I have to do some test shots myself but I feel with the 3.5 it should be fine with Nikon RF cameras. Size, flat field, and more of a 'vintage' look are reasons I would keep it as an alternative to the Millennium Nikkor.

With the Tessar, check focus at 3-geet/0.9 meter and wide open f/3.5. If you're lucky, it will be borderline acceptible.

Jon, from your infinity focus comparision I see that Voigltander isn't quite focused on infinity, but on the branch. Could it be collimation issue? It'd explain some of the difference in performance.

Back