NY_Dan

Well-known
Local time
7:51 PM
sad beauty -- Street Photography

Blurb Link to Free Preview of Whole Book:
http://www.blurb.com/books/6066230-sad-beauty

tumblr_nl9u6hAgti1r916qao1_1280.jpg

A collection of black and white photos shot between 7/2014 and 3/2015 with Kodak TX or TMY 120 film and a Rolleiflex 2.8f.

Some photographers refrain from shooting a photo because it has an overtone of sadness. Personally, I believe there's often beauty in sadness.

I got the idea for the title from a friend who commented that a lot of my photos are sad but beautiful. For this selection, I could probably have made it stronger had I included photos taken prior to 7/2014. But for me it's more fun to do a new book a few times per year, and then at some point do a book of favorites.

As usual feel free to comment.

one of your better efforts, Dan. there are maybe 15-20 photos in there to cut that weaken it, but some are very good.

Nice shots, overall, but I'm not really feeling the 'sadness' theme if I'm being honest. I can see it in a few shots (like the photo of the woman above), but as an overall theme not so much.

It's too bad this book by Dave Heath (A Dialogue with Solitude) is not available for more people to see. I think it epitomizes the 'sad beauty' that you're talking about, and I consider it to be one of the great photo books of the 1960's: http://www.luminous-lint.com/app/photographer/David__Heath/C/

A number of people have accused my work as being 'sad', so I can empathize Dan.

Actually, let me ask you a question: So when your friend told you that your photos were 'sad', did you then tell yourself that 'I need to go out and photograph sadness' and only focus on that concept? Or did you just continue to do your thing and photograph as (I assume) you do and not necessarily devote your efforts to finding specifically 'sadness'? Or did you assemble photos that you already had that you figured fit the criteria of 'sadness'? Guess I ask that a bit selfishly, as I'm trying to figure it all out myself - so forgive my indulgence.

Nice shots, overall, but I'm not really feeling the 'sadness' theme if I'm being honest. I can see it in a few shots (like the photo of the woman above), but as an overall theme not so much.

It's too bad this book by Dave Heath (A Dialogue with Solitude) is not available for more people to see. I think it epitomizes the 'sad beauty' that you're talking about, and I consider it to be one of the great photo books of the 1960's: http://www.luminous-lint.com/app/photographer/David__Heath/C/

A number of people have accused my work as being 'sad', so I can empathize Dan.

Actually, let me ask you a question: So when your friend told you that your photos were 'sad', did you then tell yourself that 'I need to go out and photograph sadness' and only focus on that concept? Or did you just continue to do your thing and photograph as (I assume) you do and not necessarily devote your efforts to finding specifically 'sadness'? Or did you assemble photos that you already had that you figured fit the criteria of 'sadness'? Guess I ask that a bit selfishly, as I'm trying to figure it all out myself - so forgive my indulgence.

Good question. I just continued to look for shots the same basic way. I know this 7/2014 to 3/2015 doesn't hit the sad beauty nail on the head -- but I felt a good number of the photos leaned in that direction, and I do like to have a title of some sort. Also when I do these Blurb books I like to have them as much as a printed reference of shots I like that were taken during a certain time span.

The friend sad they were sad but beautiful -- doesn't mean they are, just that that was her take away. However, I thought with the subject matter, approach, and black and white that one could say what she said. Anyway, I hope to get in an hour of wandering around tomorrow and get a shot or two for the next one. This time round I just did an eBook. It's not a real book, just an exercise so I can take liberties.

Definitely one of your stronger efforts Dan. I can understand, see, feel the concept. Some images are stronger in this regard than others. I think it's a concept you should hold onto, not necessarily shoot for, but edit towards later. I think an overall stronger book with this concept will emerge.

I think you've done well with all of these images. Maybe all of them don't evoke sadness, but having worked in NYC and Philadelphia for a combined total of six years I know where you're coming from. Yes, the city can be very bleak. Maybe change the title of the book and have a chapter Beautiful Sadness.

Good question. I just continued to look for shots the same basic way. I know this 7/2014 to 3/2015 doesn't hit the sad beauty nail on the head -- but I felt a good number of the photos leaned in that direction, and I do like to have a title of some sort. Also when I do these Blurb books I like to have them as much as a printed reference of shots I like that were taken during a certain time span.

The friend sad they were sad but beautiful -- doesn't mean they are, just that that was her take away. However, I thought with the subject matter, approach, and black and white that one could say what she said. Anyway, I hope to get in an hour of wandering around tomorrow and get a shot or two for the next one. This time round I just did an eBook. It's not a real book, just an exercise so I can take liberties.

yes these are great ways to get better at editing (one of my weaker areas) and working on a cohesive flow. I don't think each piece has to be sad as long as there is a sad overall feel to the finished piece. Every photo in The Americans isn't an absolute American moment but together the make a powerful American late 1950s statement.

I've had a day since I made my Blurb book to reflect upon it. Here are my thoughts.

1) All the photos have an element of sadness and beauty -- some are more subtle. I had at least a hundred other sad beauty photos that were what might some call easier to see examples. But, it's my book, my vision, and to have used any of these in place of the ones I chose for the purpose of pleasing someone else would have undermined the book as being an expression of how I see and what appeals to me. There are only 60 photos including the one of me and the back cover -- so that leaves 58, which in my "book" shows restraint.
2) Some of the photos are transitions between mini themes within the book, so if you see the photo of the clumps of balloons tied to the iron fence at night and think -- hey that's not sad enough -- well balloons without festivity or post festivity or in the rain are somewhat sad, but more important, they're a part of the theme, with the most important balloon shot being the one of the girl.
3) I viewed David Heath's book, and while I like it -- his book is more solitude than sad beauty -- for me. And that's just it -- it's subjective.
4) Beautiful Sadness -- no! :)
5) Keep with the theme -- no! Well not on purpose -- I don't like themes or projects unless they're organic -- having to go out and get 5 shots that illustrate blah is not for me -- unless as a paid assignment.
6) A better book might emerge -- well sure -- that goes to my putting a time span on it and not selecting from my archived photos. If I had a "real" publisher -- then that's a different story.
7) The purpose of these books is to share the photos online. To have a folder with selects for entering contests a few times per year. To remember what I shot and learn from it. To stay photographically fit -- like a musician who has to play everyday or risk backsliding.

Here's how it worked for me - shoot on average at least one roll per day, process, scan, PhotoShop. I scan about 1 in 10 shots. I PhotoShop 1 in 30. I pre-select 1 in 75. I go with 1 in 200. So 60 photos means I had about 1,800 images to choose from. Now in the book I only really really like about 10 er 9 eh 8 oh 7 maybe 6 ok 5 shots at most. I can't have a book with 10 shots. I can have 10 prints -- that's different. Anyway this is my stream of conscious thoughts at 9 pm EST. Good night all :)

Some beautiful images there Dan, lovely work. Not much I'd remove, and only because they don't quite fit with the theme. You must walk some miles.

Last edited:
I try to walk an hour a day Mon-Thurs - wish I had more time -- some Friday afternoons and some Sat or Sundays. Rest of the time is drudgery :)

I've had a quick look. There is one DOMINANT impression: you are like Eugene Smith: great photographer, lousy editor.
You NEED to get better at editing. I know it's difficult - it's my weak spot too. Alternative? - Get an editor. I am going to look for one for you.
Here's my FIRST selection of good images, starting with your selfie ( which did not make it):
2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 35, 38, 42, 43, 45, 46, 47, 52, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58.
Some photos do not adhere to the theme, but I tried to be elastic.
Keep up your work Dan.

The book looks good, I would like to have a go myself at something like that but I can't really see any consistent themes in my work haha.

What I don't understand (and this is off topic) is what you can possibly be taking photos of haha! I probably shoot a film (35mm) per week and am happy with 50% of the shots. I must just be quite strict in my editing BEFORE shooting :)

Gary

Back