Sad day for me - my M9 died

xichlo

Local time
7:43 PM
My Leica M9 already has some corrosion but it worked perfectly at f2.8 or below, no sign of corrosion mark. I totally can live with that since I shoot mostly f2.8 or below.

A good news is that I just came back from Paris, and the camera worked great until the end of the trip, many vertical lines showed on the photos, like 100% of shots. Please see attachment for sample. However, I managed to get lot of good shots from the trips.

A bad news is that after I came back from the trip , and now 100% of the shots are half black and half ok. Please see attachment.

I am sad because i am not sure if it is related to the sensor or something else like the main board.

Another thing is that the cost of replacement new M9 sensor will probably $1700, I really love M9 but I am thinking of a used M10 which is about below $4500. Do you think M10 color is close to M9? and it makes more sense just to go to M10?

Thank you

Attachments

• L1006464 (1).jpg
    L1006464 (1).jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
  • L1006511.jpg
    L1006511.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 0
You are not the only one to have problems like this, lately, with M9.

About below 4500 USD M10? I wouldn't even think, if I have these money. But if you are using M9 for its colors, there is no replacement.

Leica recently refurbished M9 cameras and sold them for $3000. with warranty.
I would get a used M10. Cameras get old.

Remember when Leica advertised their digital M as lifetime cameras?
So much for that.

I’ve seen M240s at the $2k mark and they are rock solid. M10 is now $4500 used even though they are selling at $7200 new. The M-E is about $4k new right now. This is the version based on the 240.

Sorry to hear about your camera. If a fix cost $1700 it is still your cheapest option to remain in digital Leicaland. There was a M240 in the classifieds recently for $2200. Can sell your M9 as-is for a few hundred, I imagine. I'm guessing budget is not your biggest consideration if you are thinking of an M10. The M9 used a CCD which may be the reason for those nice colours, so an M10 won't replicate them unless you are a photoshop whiz. It is clear the demise of the M9 is an opportunity to 'upgrade' so why not?

I remember when Leica advertised like that and I remember thinking "ok whatever" then too.

Any piece of electronics will eventually die, and fixing them is easier than mechanical devices until it isn't (that is, until the parts run out). Software ages out, capacitors explode, organic pixels degrade (ok, not an issue in most leicas, but anything with an OLED screen).

I've happily had my Canon DSLR for almost 10 years, and it still works great, but eventually it won't. My hope is that Leica can have the staying power such that when my 240 bites the dust I can just go out and buy a new M mount digital, which is the best sort of immortality that I think digital cameras can hope for.

I remember when Leica advertised like that and I remember thinking "ok whatever" then too.

Any piece of electronics will eventually die, and fixing them is easier than mechanical devices until it isn't (that is, until the parts run out). Software ages out, capacitors explode, organic pixels degrade (ok, not an issue in most leicas, but anything with an OLED screen).

I've happily had my Canon DSLR for almost 10 years, and it still works great, but eventually it won't. My hope is that Leica can have the staying power such that when my 240 bites the dust I can just go out and buy a new M mount digital, which is the best sort of immortality that I think digital cameras can hope for.

Problem is Leica electronics seem to die much sooner than other brands.

This is the price for having a slim looking camera that resembles a film camera while DSLRs look very bulky. Is this the main reason for Leica dying earlier?

This is the price for having a slim looking camera that resembles a film camera while DSLRs look very bulky. Is this the main reason for Leica dying earlier?

M9 is not slim. It’s a chunky thing. The reason is cost cutting on parts. Why else would they spec an awful lcd screen on what was a $7k camera?
An rf camera is always slimmer than an SLR as there is no mirror box.

M9 is not slim. It’s a chunky thing. The reason is cost cutting on parts. Why else would they spec an awful lcd screen on what was a $7k camera?
An rf camera is always slimmer than an SLR as there is no mirror box.

No prism, and no autofocus on the Leica, and a smaller lens mount and flange distance.

Each time I think about moving to a digital Leica, the same reliability and longevity issues come up. I can tolerate electronic obsolescence but not sensor terminal weltschmerz!

Remember when Leica advertised their digital M as lifetime cameras?
So much for that.

I’ve seen M240s at the $2k mark and they are rock solid. M10 is now $4500 used even though they are selling at $7200 new. The M-E is about $4k new right now. This is the version based on the 240.

I doubt Leica AG is able to build something rock solid. Especially now with its with huge, non reversible screens. It just asking - baby me or crack me.

M-E 240 is discontinued.
Right before this price went up from 3.9K to 4.4K USD.
BH, Tamarkin has none of them left. Where are new ones on ebay, internationally, as low as 3800 NIB, but, I guess, here is tax, at least, on top of it.

Entire M240 line is just as M9 line now. Outdated digital cameras.
BH has clearance sale of Monochrome 246, limited amount left.

M10 will be their top of the line and only one digital RF for another three years at least.

My Leica M9 already has some corrosion but it worked perfectly at f2.8 or below, no sign of corrosion mark. I totally can live with that since I shoot mostly f2.8 or below.

A good news is that I just came back from Paris, and the camera worked great until the end of the trip, many vertical lines showed on the photos, like 100% of shots. Please see attachment for sample. However, I managed to get lot of good shots from the trips.

A bad news is that after I came back from the trip , and now 100% of the shots are half black and half ok. Please see attachment.

I am sad because i am not sure if it is related to the sensor or something else like the main board.

Another thing is that the cost of replacement new M9 sensor will probably $1700, I really love M9 but I am thinking of a used M10 which is about below $4500. Do you think M10 color is close to M9? and it makes more sense just to go to M10?

Thank you

100% the sensor had the same thing happen to mine... I was lucky they still repaired to for free... otherwise I would have been looking at the M10... I still want an M10...used prices are going down... I'll wait... my M9 works great still...

I've been completely happy with my M(240). Great upgrade for me from an M8. If you can find one for $2k used, I'd still pick it over an M10.

I went through the same agonizing decision process when my M9 developed corrosion. Was more than a little PO'd with Leica's policy of acknowledging the issue was ALL sensors but only fixing cameras for free that developed the corrosion before a certain date. I decided I was never going to waste any more money on any new Leica products. Since I have a lot of Leica lenses I really like I went ahead and fixed the M9 but when it dies no more Leica digital. I just shoot film with my ancient M4 and newer M7 (until that dies).

And why is the repair cost now $1700??? My repair 2 years ago was $935. Quite a price increase. If they would have quoted me $1700 I would have thrown it the trash can.

I went through the same agonizing decision process when my M9 developed corrosion. Was more than a little PO'd with Leica's policy of acknowledging the issue was ALL sensors but only fixing cameras for free that developed the corrosion before a certain date. I decided I was never going to waste any more money on any new Leica products. Since I have a lot of Leica lenses I really like I went ahead and fixed the M9 but when it dies no more Leica digital. I just shoot film with my ancient M4 and newer M7 (until that dies).

And why is the repair cost now $1700??? My repair 2 years ago was $935. Quite a price increase. If they would have quoted me $1700 I would have thrown it the trash can.

At least it's still repairable, unlike the $$$$$ S2 and S Typ 006.

Although highly unlikely to address the problem, I would take a completely different SD card and try it after resetting camera. I had an acquaintance whose SD card became corrupt and had both lines on frames as well as have frames completely black. By doing what I outlined, completely addressed these issues. Nothing to lose if unsuccessful but worth a try.

Dave (D&A)

Can you folks explain to me why you put up with that quality and longevity?

Sorry, I wouldn’t think of buying any Leica with electronics.

They must not care.

Can you folks explain to me why you put up with that quality and longevity?

Sorry, I wouldn’t think of buying any Leica with electronics.

They must not care.

Hard to explain if you don't know how manufacturing works.
For example, Canon stopped 5D support years ago. Leica will still take M8 and try to find parts for it.

Back