Sammy Davis, Jr. and his Nikon SP

kkdanamatt

Well-known
Local time
6:17 AM
Sammy Davis, Jr. and his Nikon SP

Last month, I saw this 8x10 photo framed and behind glass hanging in a fast food restaurant in Las Vegas. It was in an awkward spot, so I had difficulty photographing it without having a lot of visible reflections.​

I think it's a Nikon SP with a 35mm f/1.8 Nikkor that Sammy Davis, Jr. is using. He's photographing Eddie Fisher and his new (slightly used, but still in fine condition) bride, Elizabeth Taylor.​

Sammy, Jerry Lewis, Roddy McDowall, and Dennis Hopper were pretty good actors/photographers from that era.​

Attachments

• Nikon SP small.jpg
    Nikon SP small.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 0
Greg beat me to it. I looked at that book in my local Borders some time ago, and the text and interviews with Sammy Davis Jr are way too familiar: they do sound a lot like the current GAS complaints frequently heard in this forum.

All in all, SDJr admitted to being something of a gear-maniac. He'd buy any new camera and gizmo produced in Germany and Japan as soon as he learned about it. Hence his passion for Rolleiflexes and Nikon rangefinders.

Yul Brynner, however, was a Leica M man. There's a book of his photographs compiled by his daughter. Brynner even mixed black bodies with silver lenses!! Imagine... :eek:

Back