Sample pics, fresh out of the scanner!

POSTI-Tuomo

Level 1 Camera Repairman
Local time
1:25 AM
So, I finally got my Espon V700 Flatbed and here are the results!

The camera: Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/16

The film: Ilford Delta 100

No post processing save for resizing...

I am still learning the ways of scanning, any advice will be taken happily!

reflection.jpg

flag.jpg

Thanks for the compliment, fidget! I am still a bit at loss as to scanning resolution. I'm not sure how to approach the mounting task of scanning all those negatives. Should I make a rough scan of every negative I have, and if I decided to make a print then scan at high res? This will save time, but requires a filing system for my negatives. How have you solved this?

It's a great scanner, isn't it? I'm still really impressed with mine from 35mm negatives. As for resolution, that depends on what you want to do with them. You can scan a contact sheet using the film area guide (attached). Scan this at 300dpi and you can print it 10x8 on plain paper or view it at 100% on screen to decide which frames you want. I find this seriously useful! I can then scan the selected frames at the resolution which will give me the print size I want at 300dpi (so a 12x8' print requires 2400dpi). I'd rather store negatives than data.

PS: your scans are excellent.

Attachments

• contact050707.jpg
    contact050707.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mark, it looks like your way is the way to go. No need to scan every negative, as there are many 'duds' amongst keepers I reckon... I need to buy neg sleeves, methinks. Having every single neg on my HD means a lot of wasted space, not to mention the time needed to scan full 24 frames at high res. Thank you for your advice!

You should be able to lay down 4 strips of 3 6x6 negs straight on the glass. I've contacted through the sheet here due to the heavy curl on my film. I could have put it straight down on the bed if I'd left it hanging longer. You can see the curl in the frames on the lower right of the image.

I'm gonna do some 35mm scans as well, and you know how those are; curled, curled, curled. :D But yah, should try that bare-negs method you described. Have you had any experience with those aftermarket film holders? I hear the 6x6 holder is a lot better than that which is supplied with the scanner...

Back