Samsung NX-10 "The poor man alternative to the M8" ?

K14

Well-known
Local time
8:52 AM
In looking at the specs of the NX-10 the APS sensor has a 1.5x crop factor compared to the M8 which has a crop factor of 1.3x to full frame lenses. If they could fit an M mount adapter to this mirror-less SLR we could be close to having a poorman M8. Has anyone looked at this new SLR?

Cheers!
Gary

In looking at the specs of the NX-10 the APS sensor has a 1.5x crop factor compared to the M8 which has a crop factor of 1.3x to full frame lenses. If they could fit an M mount adapter to this mirror-less SLR we could be close to having a poorman M8. Has anyone looked at this new SLR?

Cheers!
Gary

I'm not sure, but another thread at RFF identifies the NX as having too small a mount to use Leica M lenses via adapter.

That is apparently NOT true of the similar idea (showed at PMA) MICRO Sony, as well as the rumored upcoming MICRO Nikon and Canon cameras.

Time will tell.

Stephen

The only problem is probably..... it doesn't matter how good the view finder is (or will ever be in this case), it will never be a rangefinder.

I've got one, and it's great.

When I first saw the pictures on the internet, I hated the conservative fake dslr styling (I prefer the GF1/Pen rangefinder look) but while it's not a stunner, it looks much better in the flesh - in particular, it's very thin, much more so than the Panasonic G1. And 30mm f2 gives better dof control than 20 1.7, or the 24 2.8 on the X1.

And at least in the UK, it's very cheap - by the time you have a GF1 or EP1 with the 20mm pancake and the EVF, the Samsung works out almost two hundred pounds cheaper. For someone like me, used to traditional cameras, I hate using the rear lcd except for macro, so I'd have to buy the EVF whatever camera I got.

The EVF is good, it looks like looking at a TV screen, but is perfectly fine for framing - it doesn't tear or jerk with rapid camera movements.

You can't put M lenses on it full stop (flange back is too long), but then personally I don't want to - I've got proper cameras for that. Assuming you don't want t use third party lenses, I can highly recommend it:

+ 30mm pancake is very, very good. Sharp wide open and really nice bokeh. Made of plastic but feels like metal
+ AF excellent, at least as good as a basic DSLR - it rarely gets confused and only in very, very low light on low contrast surfaces does it fail to lock. AE is also very good, the flashmetering perhaps less so.
+ nice build quality, feels very solid
+ price advantage over GF1 and EP1, better rear screen, built in EVF

- slightly conservative styling
- the 18-55 is not really any smaller than a normal dslr lens
- can't be used with m lenses (if that is an issue for you), with current firmware can't really be used with third party lenese (no MF magnification)
- slightly noisy sensor (I've not tried RAW yet, but the sensor does look a bit noisy to me at high ISO, well within the bounds of acceptability though)
- lots of minor details in the firmware could do with changing e.g. selectable lowest shutter speed before it moves to a higher iso in auto iso mode.

Overall, I'm very happy. I just wanted a really nice, small camera to take with me - I'll continue to use a film camera for my best shots, so the poor compatibility with third party lenses isn't a concern to me. Same with the firmware - there are a lot of minor niggles, but none of them really bother me, and hopefully Samsung will sort them out sooner or later.

But the clincher is the price - it just works out so much cheaper than an equivalent micro 4/3rds.

EDIT:

btw, for me it really is a poor man's M8 - I needed a better digital camera, and seriously considered a M8. But for me, the £1500 a M8 would cost is a lot of money, so I'd want it to be perfect. Trying one out, it just didn't feel like it was worth the money and the files weren't that great. With the NX-10, I could buy a new medium format camera as well, and the two still cost less than a M8. I use MF for times when I want great quality, and the NX for convenience - for my needs this beats having a single M8, YMMV.

Last edited:
I've got one, and it's great.

When I first saw the pictures on the internet, I hated the conservative fake dslr styling (I prefer the GF1/Pen rangefinder look) but while it's not a stunner, it looks much better in the flesh - in particular, it's very thin, much more so than the Panasonic G1. And 30mm f2 gives better dof control than 20 1.7, or the 24 2.8 on the X1.

And at least in the UK, it's very cheap - by the time you have a GF1 or EP1 with the 20mm pancake and the EVF, the Samsung works out almost two hundred pounds cheaper. For someone like me, used to traditional cameras, I hate using the rear lcd except for macro, so I'd have to buy the EVF whatever camera I got.

The EVF is good, it looks like looking at a TV screen, but is perfectly fine for framing - it doesn't tear or jerk with rapid camera movements.

You can't put M lenses on it full stop (flange back is too long), but then personally I don't want to - I've got proper cameras for that. Assuming you don't want t use third party lenses, I can highly recommend it:

+ 30mm pancake is very, very good. Sharp wide open and really nice bokeh. Made of plastic but feels like metal
+ AF excellent, at least as good as a basic DSLR - it rarely gets confused and only in very, very low light on low contrast surfaces does it fail to lock. AE is also very good, the flashmetering perhaps less so.
+ nice build quality, feels very solid
+ price advantage over GF1 and EP1, better rear screen, built in EVF

- slightly conservative styling
- the 18-55 is not really any smaller than a normal dslr lens
- can't be used with m lenses (if that is an issue for you), with current firmware can't really be used with third party lenese (no MF magnification)
- slightly noisy sensor (I've not tried RAW yet, but the sensor does look a bit noisy to me at high ISO, well within the bounds of acceptability though)
- lots of minor details in the firmware could do with changing e.g. selectable lowest shutter speed before it moves to a higher iso in auto iso mode.

Overall, I'm very happy. I just wanted a really nice, small camera to take with me - I'll continue to use a film camera for my best shots, so the poor compatibility with third party lenses isn't a concern to me. Same with the firmware - there are a lot of minor niggles, but none of them really bother me, and hopefully Samsung will sort them out sooner or later.

But the clincher is the price - it just works out so much cheaper than an equivalent micro 4/3rds.

EDIT:

btw, for me it really is a poor man's M8 - I needed a better digital camera, and seriously considered a M8. But for me, the £1500 a M8 would cost is a lot of money, so I'd want it to be perfect. Trying one out, it just didn't feel like it was worth the money and the files weren't that great. With the NX-10, I could buy a new medium format camera as well, and the two still cost less than a M8. I use MF for times when I want great quality, and the NX for convenience - for my needs this beats having a single M8, YMMV.

Very good review, you should go pro.

The NX10 is a great camera and I have adapted LTM, M42, FD & PK lenses on to it.

It's charm is in it's cheerful simplicity of use - more or less the equivalent of a manual focus slr with some steroids in the real time viewing department.

If you want a M8 equivalent the upcoming Ricoh GXR M mount module should give you a complex camera and a mount specifically designed for the M mount lens rather than an adapter lash-up.

Last edited:
Back