Samsung NX at PMA 2009

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
11:13 PM
OK, the NX is not a Micro 4/3 camera, but this forum is the closest thing we have for it at the moment. Surprisingly Samsung was one of the top 3 advertisers at PMA, along with Sony and Panasonic. The NX display was large and well done, but completely behind glass. No information was available besides the info of the display, other than the camera is expected to be on sale this summer. The NX is about the same size as the Panasonic G1, and also offers HD video. Samsung seems intent upon becoming a top drawer digital camera manufacturer. Time will tell.

pma09_sam01.JPG

pma09_sam02.JPG

pma09_sam03.JPG

pma09_sam04.JPG

pma09_sam05.JPG

pma09_sam06.JPG

pma09_sam07.JPG

It will be probably be a good camera, but Samsung does not have a legacy platform, unless they make it compatible with the Pentax KAF mount.

Thom Hogan has hinted very vaguely at a 'big sensored compact' from Nikon. Could be a Sigma DP1 implementation or maybe something like this. That would be most interesting for an F-mount user as myself. Especially if the possibility exists of using M-glass as well.

We live in interesting times.

Well, Panasonic doesn't have a legacy platform, either--4/3 lenses only mount with an adapter, right? I read somewhere, though, that the mount is indeed going to be a reworking of the Pentax K mount.

I think this is where the SLR market is going, permanently. Once EVF's are good enough, the mirrors will be disappearing from cameras.

Also, I believe Samsung was involved in the current Pentax sensors, which are really superb. I suspect this one is similar to the one in the K20D, in which case, it kicks the G1 sensor's behind at high ISO...but the APS-C is the important thing, to me. If somebody brings out an M adapter as with the m4/3, it'll be great. And Leica would need to get its behind in gear on a digital CL.

What a painful tease!
f1.2? A prime mounted in another picture? Oh baby, make it 25mm or so...please!

If there is even one good fast prime available, plus adapters, this is my next digital camera (assuming a good implementation).

I agree. The f1.2 is a super tease. I'm still in the crowd waiting for the f1.7 Panasonic promised for the MFT format.
. . . Burkey

I don't know what the deal with the blue ring around the lens is,
It is the sign of Optische Werke Joseph Schneider-Kreuznach , Kreuznach/Nahe (Germany) a smaler but reputated lens designer and manufacturer (e.g. Super-Angulon (also for Leica and Contax), Apo-Symmar, Super-Symmar asph. Apo-Xenar...) also manufacturer of the well known B+W filters.
www.schneiderkreuznach.com
[But don´t worry the Schneider lenses from Samsung won´t be produced in Germany :) ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schneider_Kreuznach

Last edited:
Minuses:
no optical viewfinder
DSLR design
Yet again another lens mount.

Possible setbacks:
focal length multiplier 2.0?
EVF with a score of 'info' pictogrammes?

In short: I'll get a 'new type' camera when it has a clean optical viewfinder, rangefinder ergonomics, a focal multiplier of 1.33 tops. Preferably an M-mount.

Minuses:
no optical viewfinder
DSLR design
Yet again another lens mount.

Possible setbacks:
focal length multiplier 2.0?
EVF with a score of 'info' pictogrammes?

In short: I'll get a 'new type' camera when it has a clean optical viewfinder, rangefinder ergonomics, a focal multiplier of 1.33 tops. Preferably an M-mount.

The NX multiplier will be 1.5x.

Congratulations though, your camera has arrived...it's called the Leica M8.

Very interrrrrrrresting camera indeed.
It’s going to interesting to see how the major players react to this camera and how they design and market their versions of this technology.
Samsung doesn’t have a entry level dSLR like Nikon or Canon.
If you want an APS-C sensor in a Nikon/Canon, they bump you up to a dSLR.
Sigma currently offers the DP1/2 with fixed lens and their version of an APS-C sensor. You want the capability to swap lenses on a camera using the APS-C sensor? They bump you up to their dSLR.
Samsung (those crazy *******s) are going to offer a camera that has both features, an APS-C sensor and a bayonet for swapping lenses!
This camera throws a monkey wrench into the whole mess.
Will Nikon/Canon offer an APS-C hybrid camera with a bayonet to sell, side by side, with their entry level APS-C dSLR’s? Doesn’t seem likely but you never know.
How about approaching this the same way Sigma has. Perhaps the next version of the Canon G10 will have a fixed zoom lens with an APS-C sensor. A G10 on steroids if you will.
Or course there are price points to consider, but the size and design of these APS-C hybrid cameras seem to pull the rug out of from under the m4/3 offerings that have bayonets. No wonder Oly has given up the pixel wars. Panasonic and consequently Leica (rebadged Pani) are left sitting on the sidelines in this market, at this moment.
The bottom line for me is that there will be a number of small/compact cameras with APS-C performance to choose from in the very near future.
Hell, I may even buy my first digital camera. :)

It is the sign of Optische Werke Joseph Schneider-Kreuznach , Kreuznach/Nahe (Germany) a smaler but reputated lens designer and manufacturer (e.g. Super-Angulon (also for Leica and Contax), Apo-Symmar, Super-Symmar asph. Apo-Xenar...) also manufacturer of the well known B+W filters.
www.schneiderkreuznach.com
[But don´t worry the Schneider lenses from Samsung won´t be produced in Germany :) ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schneider_Kreuznach

The kit lens for my Samsung GX-1S has a blue band, although it is a re-badged Pentax lens.

Since I don't have a G-1 yet, this system bears watching.

I think this could be the camera I'll buy to retrofit my entire Canon FD line of lenses. Then I'll sell off all FD cameras except one T90.

dpreview with Samsung re: the NX.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09031301_samsunginterview.asp
Interesting reading, though not much new information.

Comparing to the G1....
Although ours looks a little like an SLR the design is quite sophisticated; all the lines are more 'aerodynamic'. :)

Yes, the sensor size is larger than Micro Four Thirds, but the lens size will be almost exactly the same. The thickness of the body is almost the same too.

They also mention in camera correction for vignetting, and it's a whole new lens line developed by Samsung.

What intrigues me most is what seems to be two lens release button. One is on the 3 o'clock, and another one at the 8 o'clock.

They seem to resemble m4/3, and PK lens releases.

-PB

The kit lens for my Samsung GX-1S has a blue band, although it is a re-badged Pentax lens.
Naturally - these "Schneiders" were made in the same vietnamese factory where Pentax is building their lenses :)
Also the lens on the NX looks more like a Pentax pancake lens than a Schneider lens. Nevertheless it will be a Schneider :)

A lot less interesting to me than the G1. No flip-out LCD, and likely an EVF which is inferior to the superb Panny unit. Also it's repeating the Oly E4x0/E6x0 ergonomics that I find to be poor handling.

Also Pentax is not involved in the design, so those aren't rebadged SMC lenses unlike Samsung's K mount offerings. Note that Samsung only licenses the Schneider-Kreuznacht name, not anything else. The Blue bands on their K mount lenses simply replace Pentax's green bands.

Back