samsung NX10 thread - what happened?

Paul T.

Mentor
Local time
1:21 PM
THis was an interesting thread, some shallow people complaining the camera was ugly (me), others commenting on whether it was compatible with M mount lenses, and various other discussions.

Now it seems to have vanished; can't even find trace of it on Google Advanced search.

Did someone nuke it? If so, why? Or did I just imagine that this camera exists?

Ah, I realise. The originator has taken his toys and gone home. Looks like he's nuked all his own threads.

WTF? Why? Was it a Samsung rep who got insulted?

No. THe thread originator was billmattocks. He has gone back and deleted all of his own threads.

Knowing him he will pop up in a few weeks and claim they were all censored by Al Gore.

if it was deleted, lets have a new one ?! am interested if Angenieux 25/f0.95 can be adapted to NX10 ? :)

Preview is here:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/samsungnx10/

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the gentleman who estimated the throat dimensions, and theorised that it won't be possible to use an M mount adapter on the Samsung. Isn't retail around $600? If one could use LTM lenses it would certainly be a budget R-D1 rival...

Oh, okay. Things did get pretty nasty when he suggested that people shouldn't have more than two children over the weekend.

Personally, I find the NX10 interesting, but not as interesting as the Ricoh GXR! The GXR opens up a lot of possibilities, it will be interesting to see what Ricoh does with it.

I remember also comments LTM/M mounts to be impossible to adapt, but what about C-mount ?

Flange<>sensor distance is larger than C-mount lenses like. And very few C-mount lenses will fall within an adapter tube that in itself has to fit within the 36-38 mm throat. Not to mention control of the distance and stop scales.

8mm Flange<>sensor distance difference. The one and only C-mount I have here, Schneider Xenon 1.2 50mm measures 41mm diameter 8mm from the flange.

A removal of the mount and a special C-Mount replacing it could do it but not for all lenses I think.

Ernst Dinkla

For those who might have missed it before the previous thread was nuked, Lenstip just posted a review of the Samsung 30mm f/2. They think it's a winner.

Last edited:
I must say that the "Im deleting my threads as I leave" phenomenon seems to be common here at RFF. Kinda funny. Personally, when I tire of a forum I just fade away onto another site.

To each their own but it's kind of sad that valuable threads disappear as users come and go.

Kent

Yes. It seems all the more petty when you think it must have taken a fair amount of time - and of course lots of innocent people's contributions suffer from collateral damage.

And I have one child, but don't care if people moan about them.

woul have been more convinced by the lenstip review if it had featued any half-decent photos. And what's with this one-second focusing time being acceptable? Do we have to accept performance worse than the outmoded Olympus Mju, or Hexar?

woul have been more convinced by the lenstip review if it had featued any half-decent photos.

I agree that more samples would have been nice, but in general the Lenstip reviews are quite critical and track extremely well with my own experience.

I didn't see Bill's thread (before he deleted it) but I did post quite a bit about this camera on RFF to the point of being criticized for working for Samsung (lol). To me, this is "the one". I've started the process of selling many of my film cameras and lenses to fund its purchase. In fact, selling everything except the one RF I absolutely love and will never part with - the Fujica Compact Deluxe. So, look for my stuff on the for sale board in the next couple weeks! (Sorry for the plug...) Slap that Samsung 30mm (46mm equiv) f2 pancake on her and you essentially have the 2010 version of a classic rangefinder except it uses electronics instead of mirrors. Finally a "from the ground up" electronic camera that gets rid of many of the digital vices. Sorry 4/3's peeps, a full sized sensor has it all over 4/3's imo. And you can keep the "cute" profile of the smaller cameras if it means I have to sacrifice the EVF. And this also has a grip. I appreciate Samsung's purely functional approach over "let's make something retro and cool lookin..." which I kinda despise. Judging from the size specs, it's not bigger that the 4/3'rds enough to matter anyway. Whodda thunk it would have been "Samsung" to create such a camera? Actually it makes perfect sense. I'm also glad it's Samsung. I'm sure the build quality will be fine (early reviews say it has VG build quality) and I don't have to pay more for silly names that are not really all that relevant anymore, so this camera is verrry competitively priced. Cameras are no longer precision electro-mechanical devices. They're pure electronics except for the lens.

I didn't see Bill's thread (before he deleted it) but I did post quite a bit about this camera on RFF to the point of being criticized for working for Samsung (lol). To me, this is "the one". I've started the process of selling many of my film cameras and lenses to fund its purchase. In fact, selling everything except the one RF I absolutely love and will never part with - the Fujica Compact Deluxe. So, look for my stuff on the for sale board in the next couple weeks! (Sorry for the plug...) Slap that Samsung 30mm (46mm equiv) f2 pancake on her and you essentially have the 2010 version of a classic rangefinder except it uses electronics instead of mirrors. Finally a "from the ground up" electronic camera that gets rid of many of the digital vices. Sorry 4/3's peeps, a full sized sensor has it all over 4/3's imo. And you can keep the "cute" profile of the smaller cameras if it means I have to sacrifice the EVF. And this also has a grip. I appreciate Samsung's purely functional approach over "let's make something retro and cool lookin..." which I kinda despise. Judging from the size specs, it's not bigger that the 4/3'rds enough to matter anyway. Whodda thunk it would have been "Samsung" to create such a camera? Actually it makes perfect sense. I'm also glad it's Samsung. I'm sure the build quality will be fine (early reviews say it has VG build quality) and I don't have to pay more for silly names that are not really all that relevant anymore, so this camera is verrry competitively priced. Cameras are no longer precision electro-mechanical devices. They're pure electronics except for the lens.

Good points. How does it compare size-wise to the GF1/EP series? Size and weight are important considerations for me, which is why I sold my DSLR, intent on replacing it with a m4/3rds camera sometime this year. But if the NX10 is not much bigger or about the same size, then maybe I'll go with Samsung. You're right though about silly "retro" styling. Forget the M8/M9, if I want to shoot with a manual focus camera I'll use my old film cameras.

What I don't want is a bunch of consumer oriented zoom lenses. Panasonic and Oly have at least shown a passing interest in making prime lenses, but they have been slow to get them out on the market. I'm still waiting for the 14/2.8 prime to be released, which would give m4/3rds a standard WA lens, a fast normal lens (20/1.7) and a nice short telephoto/macro/portrait lens (Leica 45/2.8) which would cover 99% of my needs. (Yeah yeah, I can get that with one zoom lens, but I just prefer primes.) If Samsung beats them to the punch and realeases some nice fast primes, and keeps the camera size reasonable (about the size of a Leica M/Olympus OM) then yeah, I think I'll go with the NX10 also.

I must say that the "Im deleting my threads as I leave" phenomenon seems to be common here at RFF. Kinda funny. Personally, when I tire of a forum I just fade away onto another site.

To each their own but it's kind of sad that valuable threads disappear as users come and go.

Kent

I agree. A lot of good threads go along with a few the deserve being deleted.

On topic, the NX10 is an interesting camera. I'll probably go Micro Four Thirds though. But, I'm of the opinion that the SLR concept of mirrors doesn't make sense in the digital era.

Good points. How does it compare size-wise to the GF1/EP series? Size and weight are important considerations for me, which is why I sold my DSLR, intent on replacing it with a m4/3rds camera sometime this year. But if the NX10 is not much bigger or about the same size, then maybe I'll go with Samsung. You're right though about silly "retro" styling. Forget the M8/M9, if I want to shoot with a manual focus camera I'll use my old film cameras.

What I don't want is a bunch of consumer oriented zoom lenses. Panasonic and Oly have at least shown a passing interest in making prime lenses, but they have been slow to get them out on the market. I'm still waiting for the 14/2.8 prime to be released, which would give m4/3rds a standard WA lens, a fast normal lens (20/1.7) and a nice short telephoto/macro/portrait lens (Leica 45/2.8) which would cover 99% of my needs. (Yeah yeah, I can get that with one zoom lens, but I just prefer primes.) If Samsung beats them to the punch and realeases some nice fast primes, and keeps the camera size reasonable (about the size of a Leica M/Olympus OM) then yeah, I think I'll go with the NX10 also.

It will be interesting to see the NX10 side by side with either an Olympus e-620 or one of the cameras in the poll above. As I said in my prior post, I'm currently leaning towards the EPL-1 due to cost, but in any event the NX10 deserves consideration.

Good points. How does it compare size-wise to the GF1/EP series?

Here's one I found on-line that has a picture of it compared to the Oly 4/3'rds. It's bigger - but not by a lot. A concession I'll gladly make for a full sized sensor and the inclusion of a built-in EVF makes it taller - unavoidable. An EVF is a must-have to me, and not as a kluge and pricey after market add-on. I also think that DigitalReview has actual size specs. I doubt anyone will be able to engineer anything with a full sized sensor that's meaningfully more compact than this.
http://fourthirdsnews.com/news/43rumours/first-real-samsung-nx-10-review-size-comparison-e-p1

THanks for posting, Nick, very interesting. As far as one can tell from the translation, they seem to conclude that the pancake does not focus as quickly as the kit zoom, and autofocus in dim light is poorer than that of the EP2 and GF1. But obviously we can't draw too many conclusions until the production version of the firmware is tested.

They do deserve credit for supplying a fast pancake lens; I can't help but think that Olympus have not tried too hard, compared either to Samsung or Panasonic.

Thanks for the link, Nick. The size of the NX10 really isn't too bad considering the sensor size and the built in viewfinder. Gives me something to think about.

Back