Samsung Nx10 - Using Legacy Ltm Lenses.

PAN F

Established
Local time
7:04 PM
I have recently acquired a secondhand Samsung NX10 and I am using a Fotodiox L39 adapter with 50mm f3.5 Elmar on manual focussing. I read somewhere that when using manual focussing the lens could be focussed using 2x magnification but I have tried to find how to do this but without success and the camera instruction booklet I have gives no guidance on how to do this either.I also read somewhere that a bar type focussing aid also was available to help with accurate manual focussing but again I cannot find how to acquire this aid. My camera firmware is currently 1.05.
I would be very grateful if any member on the forum, using this camera, could let me know how to get these focussing aids on my camera.

I read that you update the firmware, then you can access 2x mag. by hitting the OK button. Maybe you need the latest update.

The last firmware update was 1.32 so make sure you have that.
When I had an NX10 I had a lot of fun with legacy lenses but never tried to use them when critical focus on something close was required - better to use the kit zoom or one of the primes for that. The "focus by magnify" is not ideal and I either set the older lenses to infinity or 3m/10ft with a reasonably small aperture for some DOF - a bit like the old zone focussing 35mm compacts of film days.
Here's one of many I shot with the NX10 and an old PK fit Cosinon 28mm

12067730546_39690c3747_c.jpg

Hello, TXForester and Robin P.
Many thanks for your useful information.
I have been to the Samsung website and found 2 firmware updates available for download for the NX 10.
Do I just download the latest download (1.32) or do I need to download both. I also notice that they are zip files, do they need any special treatment, before I use them to do the update or do I just download the zip file to my empty formatted card and use the card to update my camera firmware ?.
Any information would be gratefully appreciated has I have not done a firmware update before.
Many thanks.
Pan F

Hello, TXForester and Robin P.
Many thanks for your useful information.
I have been to the Samsung website and found 2 firmware updates available for download for the NX 10.
Do I just download the latest download (1.32) or do I need to download both. I also notice that they are zip files, do they need any special treatment, before I use them to do the update or do I just download the zip file to my empty formatted card and use the card to update my camera firmware ?.
Any information would be gratefully appreciated has I have not done a firmware update before.
Many thanks.
Pan F
Download the .zip file and then unzip. Inside is a folder containg a .bin file, this is what you should then copy to a formatted card and put in the camera.
Instructions from Samsung are here -
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/FM/201110/20111019183513236/NX_FW_upgrade_guide_eng.pdf

Many thanks for your post hipsterdufus.
All I am after from my updated NX10 is the ability to get the 2X magnification with the manual focussing as a start.

Many Thanks, Robin.
I will have a go tonight when I have unzipped the zip file and obtained the .bin file to download to my empty formatted card and then use that to update my firmware.
Kind Regards,
Pan F

Managed to update the firmware last night.I can now get 2x magnification with manual focussing which was what I was after.
Many thanks Robin for your downloading instructions and TXForester and hipsterdufus for your kind help and information.
Kind Regards,
Pan F

Back