Samsung's NX 10 sure looks a lot like Panny's GH 1

There was a rumor going around, probably false, that there will be an NX10 brother that is full frame. The mount would be Samsung. But there will be, as with this model, an adapter for using K mount lenses. I hope there is also a Leica adapter. Maybe, that is asking too much but you can hope. This, either way, should be an interesting product. Along with the Panasonic similar model, it could finally spell the end of DSLRs.

well, let's not get carried away.
The end of the DSLR...that happened for me some time ago but I don't think Nikon or Canon feel the same way about it.

There no doubt will be more players coming into the 4/3 ring but I don't think anyone of them would abandon what that have on the product line already.

The dSLR has plenty of life left in it, at least among pro shooters, who need durable cameras with real viewfinders. And that's a significant part of the dSLR market.

They need cameras that can stand up to the hard use that pros deliver. These micro cameras look like toys and would literally fall apart within six weeks under professional use.

Aside from that, there is the perception of using a camera this small. When a wedding photographer shows up with a "mini me" camera, how many more jobs do you think they will get? Would you hire one whose system is the micro-Four Thirds? I wouldn't. And how long do you think that toy is going to last in Afghanistan? Or shooting in a downpour during a soccer or football game?

Among consumers, it's a different story. I could easily see it taking a larger chunk of the consumer market, because consumers want convenience first and quality second -- hence, the popularity of digital to start.

4/3 a niche .....

4/3 a niche .....

The dSLR has plenty of life left in it, at least among pro shooters, who need durable cameras with real viewfinders. And that's a significant part of the dSLR market.

This is a huge misconception .... The D40/60/3000/5000 range makes up something like 75% ( I forget the exact number but it is by units not $ ) of Nikon DSLR sales. They are in the other segments of the business essentially to stay competitive in the consumer market. For a long time, there was an electronics paradigm known as the Sony decision, an uninformed consumer will buy Sony. At the end of all the dithering about, the "average joe" who buy a DSLR chooses the entry level C/N, and now that Sony wants in, they are playing on price.

The internet has changed this model somewhat, but at the end of the day, 4/3 is a nice niche .... If the manufacturing numbers support the replacement of the entry level camera DSLR with a EVIL then C/N will do it. The pro market and internet buzz may influence this, but the consumers market drives the company.

Dave

The big difference is that Canon's aim is not to have a "micro" system with their EOS gear - the design philosophy is actually the opposite - maximum quality putting compactness on the bottom of the list.

You can say that again!

2302241334_abb2422717.jpg

This photo was taken by Allen Qu.

This is a huge misconception .... The D40/60/3000/5000 range makes up something like 75% ( I forget the exact number but it is by units not $ ) of Nikon DSLR sales.

Doesn't matter. The full-size rugged dSLR is a necessity of pro shooters.

As I said, the consumer market is a different story entirely, and I could easily see these smaller cameras replacing the dSLR.

But for pros, these "toys" lack the durability and flexibility that pros need and demand. And that's why you won't see Canon or Nikon drop out of that segment.

But for pros, these "toys" lack the durability and flexibility that pros need and demand.

I dunno, so far my Pen and it's plastic lenses has survived a desert Truck rally in high winds, surf competitions, roller derby matches. Next test is snowboarding. I would like to see someone snowboard down a double black diamond with a traditional full size dSLR, 300mm lens, and tripod. I'm actually more willing to take my Pen more places because of it's size and relative price. If something does break, it's less than $1,000 worth of gear than needs replacing instead of $10,000.

I dunno, so far my Pen and it's plastic lenses has survived a desert Truck rally in high winds, surf competitions, roller derby matches. Next test is snowboarding. I would like to see someone snowboard down a double black diamond with a traditional full size dSLR, 300mm lens, and tripod. I'm actually more willing to take my Pen more places because of it's size and relative price. If something does break, it's less than $1,000 worth of gear than needs replacing instead of $10,000.

Isn't all that bulk on these DSLRs (pro models) just to make to make fire hose photographers happy: battery packs, and FPS motors. The Hassy digital sure isn't that big.

It's because to use a 70-200mm f2.8 IS or 300mm f2.8 prime you need a big comfortable grip and good ergonomics. Anything small just gets unbalanced and annoying. I love small cameras but my 5d + 35L gets the add-on battery grip treatment, just because it's so much easier to handle.

Back