San Francisco area for 7 days: Recommendations?

My trip was great overall.
Oct. 5-14

We arrived in the city during the afternoon and immediately drove to Truckee (Sugar Bowl ski area) in a car we rented for the week-- a subaru sedan. Two days were dedicated to the wedding, which was fun. We took off for Mono Lake after Sunday brunch at the lodge and camped off of Tioga Pass in the Yosemite valley (Porcupine Flats). A pack of cayotes took a liking to our camp site and howled outside the tent a few times during the night. The following day, Oct 7, we got a backcountry permit and hiked into the Ansel Adams Wilderness with our gear for the next few days and spent the night up at Garnet Lake (near Thousand Island Lake) along the John Muir trail. Epic.

After the hike out of the sticks, we booked it over to Montara on our way to San Francisco and stayed overnight at a hostel next to a lighthouse-- nice clean private rooms with a full-on view of the coast from a bluff. The weather was pleasantly dull and hopefully worked well with my black and white film. After stopping off in Half Moon Bay for breakfast on the 9th, we went to Napa and did the whole tasting thing at Sterling Vineyards (up the tram/cable-car). I would give Napa an overall "meh" rating, although we are now aware that Sonoma is preferred over Napa by many. I thought the vineyard reserve wines were fantastic but ultimately the place didn't win me over as a destination. Can't win 'em all.

The road once again enticed us to relocate, and we found ourselves in Bodega Bay for the following evening (Bodega Inn) which ended up being a great decision. The couple that ran the place showed us all their vacant rooms and let us choose which we liked best. There is a seafood mexican joint in town with great crab enchiladas and the coldest Lagunitas IPA I've ever had-- recommended (and so is the Inn there). In the town of Bodega, there is an awesome general store. You can buy white wine out of the cooler, and grab a few oysters out of a milk crate right below the wine racks. I also bought a copy of Ansel Adam's book "The Negative" there. Talk about a one-stop-shop.

Driving from Bodega Bay back to the city for the remaining few days of our trip was exceptional. We took Highway 1 for most of it, hugging the coast for hours of the most scenic and enjoyable a 30 mph driving can possibly be. The tiptronic paddle-shifters on the steering wheel came in handy for the burmed ess-turns and I didn't hesitate to crush gas. I let the car rev and the AWD, pointy steering, and stiff chassis handled it well. Obviously I got out to snap photos along the way to the town of Point Reyes for a gas-up. We found it to be a great spot with some surprisingly legit institutions of food and drink. Down the road we found the Tomales Bay and drove alongside it next to the harbor-- a beautiful but dilapidated area with great BBQ style Oysters. I prefer them raw, but that's just the east coaster in me. Photo ops all over the damn place with rotting tugboats, well-used fishing vessels and half-sunken barges that have long been abandoned. The rainy weather increased the effect immensely.

Before crossing the Golden Gate bridge into the city, we cruised through Sausalito and I agree that it's a cool spot.
Once we hit the city, we ate Dim Sum at a hole-in-the-wall-even-for-chinatown restaurant with no sign, no menus, and no english spoken. We just pointed at what others were having and ate that. While we're on the topic, I will mention that we also ate at another dim sum place a few days later called Ton Kiang (Geary St. and 22nd) and this was exactly what I wanted in life. Recommended is the very crispy Calamari and soft, steamed pork buns.

We bought more black and white film over at Adolf Gasser (2nd St.) and found HP5+ for ~$6/roll (which was okay by me), ditched the car, and had ourselves some Guiness and Irish coffee over at the Buena Vista. I think the night of the 12th officially began after a tequila history lesson and margarita tasting at Tommy's (also Geary St.), for it apparently was dark when we stepped outside. We ate at Pizetta 211 (23rd St.) and although the farm-egg and pancetta pizza was great, I found the place overpriced for what it was.

Our last full-day in California, Oct 13, was spent doing random things. Fort Point was a great spot and I shot some photos along the Presidio. I could not help but remember the scene from Vertigo that was shot here when Carlotta jumps/falls into the bay.
Before we had to return the rental car, we decided to take a drive over to Haight Ashbury. What a f-ing trip this place is. My god is all I can say. We had great beer at a brewpub called Magnolia. The Cole Porter and Proving Ground IPA are recommended. My girlfriend loved the vintage thrift shopping on the main drag of Haight St. and I found the views of the city to be amazing from a viewpoint right up the hill from the shopping area.
We met up with our friends that we stayed with over on 23rd st in outer Richmond, a few blocks from the GG park, and went out for sushi at Little Tokyo. The sushi was just fine and so was the veggie udon soup.

Now it's October 14 and I am back to reality in the Boston area. Wish me luck.
(Photos coming soon-- I shot 5 rolls of HP5+, 4 rolls of FP4+, and 3 rolls of Portra 160)

Our last full-day in California, Oct 13, was spent doing random things. Fort Point was a great spot and I shot some photos along the Presidio. I could not help but remember the scene from Vertigo that was shot here when Carlotta jumps/falls into the bay.

I cannot believe you gave away the ending to Vertigo.

Sounds like a fun trip. When are you moving out here?

" Golden Gate Bridge "
If any one here has plan to go to San Frasisco then Golden Gate Bridge must be visited because it is a place of romance and a place for true lovers.It was designed by the "Strauss" the very well know engineer of that time and that is why it is like a wonder.

Thanks to everyone for sharing all this useful info. I am planning to fly out in April to see the Winogrand Retrospective and wander around in art galleries.

I was thinking of staying outside of the city and taking BART or CalTrain to save $$$ on lodging.

I know this is kind of a zombie way to post, but now that I am back in the Bay area after eight years in Japan, I would like to plug into the local RFF group at some point. I've a few interesting mementos from my time across the drink and it would be fun to meet some of you all.

Phil

I know this is kind of a zombie way to post, but now that I am back in the Bay area after eight years in Japan, I would like to plug into the local RFF group at some point. I've a few interesting mementos from my time across the drink and it would be fun to meet some of you all.

Phil

Welcome back Phil!

Of the locals, I'd recommend steering clear of Robert (Honus), Kent (Kdemas), and John (Agi). All three frequently have police tailing them for one reason or another. The rest, other than the Sacramento crew, are pretty normalish.

And thanks filmfan for the travel report!

Back