Scanning B&W Negative - which scanner?

Markst

MarkST
Local time
9:40 AM
Hey, I'm having a bit of trouble scanning my negatives, I have two negative scanners - CanonScan 5000F and Canon Pixma MP760.

The 5000F seems to scan only 3 negatives a go, and the MP760 - 6.

One problem with the MP760 is that the images come out rotated, chopped in half and stuck on the next one.... does that make sense? I have tried aligning the neg accurately on the tray - which doesnt improve it. I think it's something to do with the neg being very thin at the start and the scanner can't pick it up.

Obviously I should be doing some testing to see which scanner has best results. But I'd like to ask If anyones had any experience with these scanners and which they think is best? + what settings work best?

Thanks!

I use an old HP Photosmart S20 USB, and it is slick. Scans 5 frame strips, negatives as well as transparencies, with no focusing or adjustments for film brand required. The auto settings are more often than not the best you can get, but you can adjust the settings for each frame of a strip if you wish. They're easy to find on ebay (you want the usb version) for $100 or so.

The only adjustments I ever need to do after the scan is increase contrast in photoshop. And that isn't always necessary.

I loved my HP S20! That was one fast, little and very good neg scanner! Too bad it broke and I had to replace it. I bought me a Minolta ScanDual 3. Great scanner but in my experience much slower than the HP. Scan quality is great, though.

What do the manuals say about scanning negs and how to solve problems?

Back