Screen resolution of computer monitors

Out to Lunch

Menteur
Local time
11:37 PM
I'd appreciate it if someone could explain this to me as if I was a child. I recently bought a new laptop with a 2.5K display (2560 × 1600). If I'd buy a secondary computer monitor with a higher resolution, which resolution will I get on this secondary monitor? I found this one on BHPhoto: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1660132-REG/asus_pa329cv_32_4k_hdr_ips.html I'm going for a large monitor since I've had vision troubles. Would it be a good match, or would I just be wasting money on a higher resolution? Many thanks for your patience and best advice. Cheers, OtL

I'm certainly no expert on this, but from my understanding, the resolution on the new monitor will be limited by the laptop computer's native highest resolution, or the highest native resolution on the new monitor, whichever is lowest, I think that will determine your final resolution on the laptop and the monitor.

Best,
-Tim

Laptop is small form of computer. It has build-in monitor with resolution supported by this monitor matrix. Resolution is provided by the graphics card a.k.a GPU.
GPU has another output for external monitor, it could be different resolution supported.

Some laptops are build with better resolution for external monitors. Some might have even additional, better GPU mode for laptop on external power, with external monitor connected.

Did you checked your laptop specification for external monitor resolution?

Also not my money, but monitor in the link might be at overkill. You could get for less with datacolor spyder X, this one makes huge difference with any monitor. Especially with 28 size, which is next to no difference from 32, but twice less in price under same resolution.

I used to purchase computers for a previous employer, and for folks having difficulty reading information from their screens, the biggest improvement was a bigger monitor, not more pixels. 27" 2K monitors were well-liked!

My experience is that whatever monitor I put on whatever computer is accepted as it is. If not then look in "Settings" and then "Display" but that's from memory so beware...

Regards, David

I'm certainly no expert on this, but from my understanding, the resolution on the new monitor will be limited by the laptop computer's native highest resolution, or the highest native resolution on the new monitor, whichever is lowest, I think that will determine your final resolution on the laptop and the monitor.

Best,
-Tim

My laptop screen resolution is 3024 by 1964, but it certainly supports two 6K external monitors. I think that is fairly normal these days for a laptop to support higher res external displays.

Out to Lunch... search your exact laptop model with "external monitor resolution." It should give you the answer.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. Re. "Did you check your laptop specification for external monitor resolution?" It's not on the spec sheet. Cheers, OtL

Lenovo Slim 7i 82VB0002US Intel Evo Laptop, i7-12700H This is the one I bought. I can't find its external monitor resolution. If anyone can, please let me know. Cheers, OtL

Laptops (and desktops) will adjust to match the external monitor. I just purchased a 24 inch from ASUS that gets pretty good reviews. I was thinking about 27 but every review I read said unless you spend bigger bucks than I wanted to then the larger monitors look less sharp. My 24 pivots which was important for me with pictures and doing work-work.

If you would like details I can share.

I asked my best friend before I bought and he said you can search out Chinese knock-offs that have the same everything as the big buck monitors. I wasn't interested in gambling with my main work monitor.

B2 (;->

2500 x 1600 = 4.0906MP, and the one on B&H3840 has x 2160 = 8.294MP. Would you not get the full resolution of the larger screen? Or does a laptop just always scale to the size of its own screen?

Lenovo Slim 7i 82VB0002US Intel Evo Laptop, i7-12700H This is the one I bought. I can't find its external monitor resolution. If anyone can, please let me know. Cheers, OtL

From what I could find... it is "2 external monitors; supports external monitors via HDMI (up to 4096x2160@60Hz) or ThunderboltTM (up to 5120x3200@60Hz)."

You are right that this information was not easy to find. It appears you can use 4k screens with no issue.

Patience is not one of my strong suits, and I don't have a lot of time to get things done before I start traveling again. I settled on this screen; it just ran its course on BH and is on limited offer with Costco Canada: https://www.costco.ca/lg-32qn600-b-3...100760488.html IPS monitor' 32 inches; Factory calibrated, and good photo editing reviews. Cheers, OtL

I do not see the sense in getting anything less than a 4k screen at this point in time. Your laptop has slightly better resolution than your new external monitor. Resolution is more important than sheer size.

I googled it just now. It looks like you can get the higher resolution of the monitor if:

--your laptop's graphics card supports the higher resolution;

--And you don't try to run the laptop screen and the monitor at the same time. You should select the monitor as the only active display.

So that's what I got. Hope it helps.

Back