Sculpture, Statues and things that don't move much.

DSCF1008.JPG

X100V
Astia film simulation
Mizuki Shigeru Road - Tottori Prefecture, Japan - Nov 2020

All the best,
Mike

Just a question about this statue. Which battle or campaign does it commemorate, I wonder. My reason for asking is simply this. I was recently reading (again) about the Guadalcanal campaign in WW2. Of course that battle was largely fought by the US Marine Corps (though infantry units moved in and relieved them later in the campaign). In that campaign, especially early in the campaign, the Marines were famously relatively poorly equipped with older weapons like the bolt action Springfield '03 and the .45 calibre Reising Gun - an early sub-machine gun which was not widely issued except to Marines and the Coast Guard, and quickly superseded (e.g. by the Thompson sub machine gun). The subject in the statue looks to be armed with the Reising Gun.

This is what prompted my interest. Was this a commemoration of the Guadalcanal Campaign? BTW I have been there. About 30 years ago I had the opportunity to twice sail through the Solomon Islands in successive years, - sailing, diving and visiting the battlefields in that theatre. A beautiful place though it would have been an exceedingly difficult and trying place to wage battles against a determined enemy that had just rampaged through Asia and the Pacific. To their great credit they did it and prevailed.

Just a question about this statue. Which battle or campaign does it commemorate, I wonder. ...
This statue is part of the Arizona capital mall in Phoenix and represents the "Windtalker" code bearers in the pacific theatre during WWII; the code was based on the Navajo Indian language.

Back