Sears 35|rf Arrives!

dazedgonebye

Mentor
Local time
3:34 PM
My little Sears 35|rf (Ricoh 500G) camera has arrived and wonder of wonders…it works!
The rangefinder seems accurate. The meter is responsive and accurate to sunny 16 and the aperture is controlled in A mode! Heck, it even works with the 1.4v hearing aid batteries I had waiting for it.
Ok, the extensive and odd light seals are a gooey mess…but I can fix that easily enough. I’ll snap a few pics of the seals then clean them off with what, lighter fluid, goo-be-gone? I just happen to have a Jon Goodman light seal kit on hand, so I’m good to go.
As an added bonus, it even has an original lens cap with the cute little Sears and Roebuck “butterfly” symbol on it…how cool is that?

It took about 90 minutes to scrape the gunky light seals out and replace them. What a mess.
But...now we're cleaned up, light tight (I hope) and loaded with film.

I've still got to get pictures taken of mine. I've been busy shooting and doing my taxes, so little time for camera shots right now.

Question About Sears 35rf camara

Question About Sears 35rf camara

Hi, I have the same camera model, and I was just wondering if you can help me identify what kind of battery it uses. Also, what would you suggest in restoring the foam light seal inside the camera? You help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dazedgonebye said:
My little Sears 35|rf (Ricoh 500G) camera has arrived and wonder of wonders…it works!
The rangefinder seems accurate. The meter is responsive and accurate to sunny 16 and the aperture is controlled in A mode! Heck, it even works with the 1.4v hearing aid batteries I had waiting for it.
Ok, the extensive and odd light seals are a gooey mess…but I can fix that easily enough. I’ll snap a few pics of the seals then clean them off with what, lighter fluid, goo-be-gone? I just happen to have a Jon Goodman light seal kit on hand, so I’m good to go.
As an added bonus, it even has an original lens cap with the cute little Sears and Roebuck “butterfly” symbol on it…how cool is that?

Sears 35rf Model 444 said:
Hi, I have the same camera model, and I was just wondering if you can help me identify what kind of battery it uses. Also, what would you suggest in restoring the foam light seal inside the camera? You help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!
You're looking for a 1.4v zinc hearing aid battery to replace the PX675 that was original to the camera (a 1.35v battery, believe).
Radio shack sells them prety cheap.

Light seals cover almost the entire back cover of this camera around the film pressure plate. I've never seen anything else like it.
If you have a digital camera, take some pictures of the seals to help you remember where to place the new seals. Then, you'll have to remove that whole goey mess. I used some lens cleaner and a piece of popcicle stick with cotton cloth. It took about 30 minutes of steady cleaning to get it all off.

I had one of these light seal kits laying around. The thin sheet, marked number 1 on that listing, seemed the right thickness. You just need to cut bits and adhere them to the back of the film door till you've replicated what was there before.

All in all, it was a bit more than an hour's work to replace the seals. I'm pretty clumsy at these things and mine seems light tight.

Don't hesitate to contact me if this is not clear once you start to work at it.

Good luck.

ok so i am new to the whole non digital photography thing but im really interested in it and i just found an old sears 35 rf that was my dads and i was wondering exactly where the 1.4v hearing aid batteries are suposed to go and it came with a flash thing that was attached to the top of the camera and i dont think it works if any body can help me out it would be GREATLY appreciated

also there is a guide on the back of the flash thing (sorry dont kno what its actually called) and i was wondering what that was suposed to be used for as well? again any help would be greatly appreciated

You're back...

If you look on the bottom of the camera, you'll see a small silver cover that has a slot in it. Use a penny or dime to turn the cover and remove it.
With any luck, it'll be clean in there. If you see a lot of corrosion, you'll have some cleaning to do. Anyway, that's where the batteries go.
As far as the flash is concerned, I'd have to see what you have.
It's likely a manual flash and the guide on the back is used to figure out flash exposure. That's a bit much to go in to here.

I just realized that I never posted a picture of this camera. I also realized it has half a roll in it and I've got to go finish that off.

502848714_a9589d8f26_o.jpg

yea thanks i found the lil silver cover about 3 min after i asked that while i was messing with it and yea everything is clean except it has alot of dust around the lens dials and do you know where i could find a guide to explain what everything does??? like the dials on the lens and the exposure guide on the flash

fcsuperman09 said:
yea thanks i found the lil silver cover about 3 min after i asked that while i was messing with it and yea everything is clean except it has alot of dust around the lens dials and do you know where i could find a guide to explain what everything does??? like the dials on the lens and the exposure guide on the flash

I have a manual for the Ricoh branded brother of this camera. It's in my desk at work.
Google for it and maybe you'll find it online. If you don't contact me on Monday and I'll see about scanning the manual for you.

dazedgonebye said:
I just realized that I never posted a picture of this camera. I also realized it has half a roll in it and I've got to go finish that off.

502848714_a9589d8f26_o.jpg

Very cool camera in the black finish.

thanks i found a short online version but as for what the letters represent it was kinda confusing but it did answer the questions that i had thanks alot

ok so the picture u posted is exactly the same as the camera i have except for the numbers between the DIN and ASA what are these for??? and also i just got some rayovac357/303 batteries that i was told was a cross reference to the original battery that i handed them will these work??? and what exactly are they used for???

Never Mind!!! i feel like a dumb a** I found another online manual and I figured it all out thanks alot for the help here!

Last edited:
The 303/357 is a silver oxide battery of 1.55V which is not a direct replacement for the original 1.35V mercury cell. Does it matter? Without comparing readings with each, I can't say. But a 1.4V hearing aid battery would be my choice to start with.

Back