Seattle or Vancouver?

kxl

Social Documentary
Local time
7:51 PM
I have a business trip to Seattle toward the end of the month. My wife's going to join me so we can spend Labor Day weekend either in Seattle or drive/take the bus or train/fly to Vancouver.

I just got a Fuji XT2 and a 23/2 and 50/2 and would like to do some street photography. Due to mobility constraints, my shooting style is to go to a spot with a lot of foot traffic, find a place to sit and shoot for some time (an hour?) before finding another spot.

It's been a while since we've been to either city (when my mobility wasn't so constrained). So my question - which city and what areas of that city would be more suited for my current shooting style?

Thanks,
Keith

For Vancouver,
Gastown, along Powell or water. More tourists than locals on this strip. Go to side streets to see locals but it’s a bit of a rough trade on the side streets. (Google vancouver downtown east side).

English Bay, Davie at Denman St. Good mix of locals and tourists. Beach, cafes, promenade and the A-maze-ing Laughter statue installation.

Stanley Park is encircled by the Seawall. Along the seawall there are many viewpoints overlooking the inner harbour, Lions Gate bridge (above or below), or English Bay. All are accessible by taxi and well trafficked by locals and tourists.

https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/sites-landmarks-and-totem-poles.aspx

In the downtown there are:
Robson Square/Art Galley plaza
Central Library Plaza

Adjacent to downtown:
Vanier Park
Granville Island Public Market.
Olympic Village (by Tap and Barrel)

Hope this helps.
Let me know if you need some google street view links.

Michael.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Labor Day weekend in Seattle? Surely Bumbershoot would provide enough snapshooting opportunities for anyone wanting to take photos of strangers :)

I live a short ferry ride from Seattle. I can't recommend Seattle for your purposes. It's a traffic mess right now and the forseeable future. And, I'm reluctant to even say this, but the homeless situation is getting out of control and could affect your way of shooting. I still shoot a bit on the street but I'm cautious to the point of not enjoying it. I really can't think of any places in the downtown area where one could sit and shoot a few photos without any potential problems arising.

Another thought, grab the hydrofoil from Seattle to Victoria on Vancouver Island.
It a tourist friendly city with lots of street shooting possibilities. Think the wooden boat festival is happening that weekend in the inner harbour.

Glenn

Just checked Victoria events that might be of interest on Labour day weekend.

Classic boat festival. August 31 - September 2 , Inner harbour, free

Victoria buskers festival. August 30 - September 3, Downtown, free

Glenn

Just checked Victoria events that might be of interest on Labour day weekend.

Classic boat festival. August 31 - September 2 , Inner harbour, free

Victoria buskers festival. August 30 - September 3, Downtown, free

Glenn

Thanks. I'll check them out to find out more info.

Vancouver is a beautiful city. But I second the caution about going anywhere near the Downtown Eastside area. Unfortunately, it probably has the highest concentration of drug addicts/mentally ill folks anywhere in North America. All of these folks seem to be jammed into this area. I was in Vancouver about three years ago and went on a double-decker tour bus through the neighborhood. Had two crazed people try to climb up the back of the bus to steal stuff from the
bus' upper deck and throwing glass bottles at the bus in broad daylight. Definitely would not walk around the area on foot with any valuables (or even without any valuables) and would make sure not to accidentally wander into the neighborhood from surrounding areas (which are pretty safe). I am from NYC and lived through the bad times in the late 1970's through the 1980's when crime was high. It was never like what I saw in Downtown Eastside.

To be fair, I am quite sure that most of the folks living there are merely poor or troubled and are not dangerous. However, there are some folks that definitely can be quite crazed and violent.

Good to know.. it's always important to know places to avoid for safety's sake, especially with my reduced mobility.

kxl, I spent last week in Seattle. It's a city I love to visit. I spent most of my time in Fremont & Ballard. I did go down to the Pioneer square area to visit Jet City Guitars and the area is under total construction...closed & blocked streets....construction everywhere. Made a brief stop in the Pike St market area....clogged with selfie-takers... I concur with Glen and Austin...Victoria is a beautiful small city. I'm thankful that Glazers photo has underground parking now in their new building. That's pretty much a requisite stop in Seattle for a film shooter. Labour Day weekend is bound to be busy...but that's a relative term. Well worth the trip. pop. 368,000. makes it a lovely small city. { Seattle 725,000. Vancouver 610,000 but 2.5million in the area}

Vancouver Island seems to be a wonderful place to visit and unwind there. Seattle is also a beautiful city to visit. Flip a coin.

I will also recommend Victoria. Nice architecture and great food there.

I live in Victoria...so that gets my vote :)

Pagliaccis on Broad has great food. Bard and Banker and the Irish Times are two great pubs on Government street...a street also good for photography...and goes right by the inner harbour.

Camera Shops to visit:

Vancouver:
Leos Camera Supply
Beau Photo

Victoria:
Camera Traders
Kerrisdale Camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably won't go wrong with anywhere in the region. I've lived all around (Seattle and environs, Vancouver and environs, points in between, San Juan Islands. But not Victoria. The tea there is just too expensive :)

But, right now I think I have a bias for Vancouver. Such a cosmopolitan city with a different, more worldly vibe than Seattle. You can have elegant. you can have gritty. you can get mugged (or worse). you can (and will) meet super-friendly people. Excellent food, and the coffee scene is on par with Seattle if that's important. A view of mountains most anywhere in the city! And most important: The spirit of Tom A. lives there!!!

Back