Second travel with my M2... India!

Dear Vin,

Oh, dear! Thanks for the warning!

A story:

Like most Celts, and of course most Southern Europeans, I tend to gesticulate a lot when I am talking.

When I was a boy, my mother used to say, "Now sit on your hands and say that."

Last time we were in Italy (near Venice), on a company trip to a restaurant in a bus, the driver was talking enthusiastically -- mouth and gestures.

My wife muttered to me, gesturing towards him, "Try saying that with your hands on the steering wheel."

Cheers,

Roger

:Dthat's pretty common, with the crazy italian drivers! and you were lucky enough that he kept an eye on the road!
so... probably driving in delhi would be like a walk in the park for many italian taxi drivers!:D

:Dthat's pretty common, with the crazy italian drivers! and you were lucky enough that he kept an eye on the road!
so... probably driving in delhi would be like a walk in the park for many italian taxi drivers!:D

Sorry; did I give the impression he had an eye on the road?

He was paying more attention to the GPS, the atlas spread out on the steering wheel, and his girlfriend on the mobile 'phone.

Fortunately, by the standards of mountain roads (we we well north of Venice) the roads were quite wide...

Cheers.

R.

Of all the big cities in India, Dehli or more precisely New Dehli, is the least hair raising. The roads are wide and all the vehicles have to run on LPG so the pollution levels are low. Old Dehli, however is a different story!

If I remember correctly the Tourist ticket office in Dehli is above the New Dehli station. Trains are incredibly busy in India ( an understatement) so for each train there is a tourist quota - a number of tickets set aside for tourists. It's usually a part of one carriage which puts the tourists all together, which is a good way to meet people and share experiences. Go for three tier sleeper class. Although air conditioning may sound attractive, when I travelled in it on one occasion it was actually very cold at night and also when you eventually step out, when you reach your destination, the temperature difference is huge and that doesn't help you to acclimatize.
Try and get an upper bunk as you can then stretch out whenever you want. (The lower bunk and the middle form the seating until night time) I take it you are flying to Dehli for the beginning of your journey? There is a bus that you can get on that takes you to the centre or alternatively get a cab. Backpackers tend to stay in Paraganj. Countless hotels so check out a few rooms before you commit yourself. I stayed in one which was down one of the lanes to the left of the main street, which was perfectly adequate for the price.

Last edited:
Of all the big cities in India, Dehli or more precisely New Dehli, is the least hair raising. The roads are wide and all the vehicles have to run on LPG so the pollution levels are low. Old Dehli, however is a different story!

If I remember correctly the Tourist ticket office in Dehli is above the New Dehli station. Trains are incredibly busy in India ( an understatement) so for each train there is a tourist quota - a number of tickets set aside for tourists. It's usually a part of one carriage which puts the tourists all together, which is a good way to meet people and share experiences. Go for three tier sleeper class. Although air conditioning may sound attractive, when I travelled in it on one occasion it was actually very cold at night and also when you eventually step out, when you reach your destination, the temperature difference is huge and that doesn't help you to acclimatize.
Try and get an upper bunk as you can then stretch out whenever you want. (The lower bunk and the middle form the seating until night time) I take it you are flying to Dehli for the beginning of your journey? There is a bus that you can get on that takes you to the centre or alternatively get a cab. Backpackers tend to stay in Paraganj. Countless hotels so check out a few rooms before you commit yourself. I stayed in one which was down one of the lanes to the left of the main street, which was perfectly adequate for the price.

Hi, Nigel, and thank you for these suggestions!
Everybody adviced me about asking for AC. Which will be the weather like in August, in the North of India? I assume it will rain every day, but the temperatures?

I'll fly to Mumbay, then probably go directly to Delhi to take a flight to Ladakh, or maybe I'll travel to Gujarat and then Delhi...

Hi
It is Paharganj, not Paraganj.

:)
Sudeep

Back