seeing+process=workflow

fotographz

Established
Local time
2:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jukka:
Frank, I appreciate your stuff, especially the mood of it. Could you sometime maybe, if you have the time, enlighten us in regard to your workflow, post processing, or whatever you do between the clicking of the shutter and posting online. Unless of course there is some esoteric aspects involved.

And I say this with not any intentions to imitate, but out of general interest. I feel that I struggle in consistency in this department resulting in random end products.
Jukka
Photography is an art and a science, if you don't do the science right there can be very little to create photographic art with.

Style equals mood...mood sets the tone and by tone, I refer to the feeling of the image. Many don't remember what they saw...but everyone remembers how something can make them feel.

What makes me photograph anything is the light I see...at that moment I don't think about it, I shoot it. There is often no time to think...you shoot maybe get one or two images then it's gone.
I often don't know what I have until I'm looking at negative proof sheets or the raw files on my computer..AND at times not in-love with what I photographed that day...(I do keep them like I keep my negatives)

I worked very hard to understand whatever lighting situation I was photographing in and to maintain control regardless of that light..learning to properly expose and develop the negatives from a broad range of daytime, night time, and studio light with very consistent results. This was and is my wet darkroom workflow, if you can print from a great negative there is less work producing a great print. (...also If you are able to produce properly exposed digital files you won't spend a lot of time in a fix-it post-processing hell)

I have applied this workflow practice to my digital photography...All raw files are post-processed through Lightroom and Nik Silver EFX 2 which gives me an analog film black and white look.

So this really all comes down to being able to produce exceptional prints...a photograph that only gets seen as a proof or on a computer screen isn't real until you are looking at a finished print with your eyes. Learning how to produce good prints in the darkroom helped me develop my style (my look). I then went back through digital hell while learning to produce both color and black and white prints that would be able to stand along side my wet darkroom prints.

Theory:
thinking (but not too much)
Practice:
refining your own process (putting the work in)

I have spent a lot of time (and still do) to get exactly what I see through my camera out of my head and into a finished photograph...(then to print).

tumblr_nuclhmVftC1r1rytko1_1280.jpg

we all struggle to reach the same goal

Back