Sell 35mm Summicron ASPH II for v3?

Thanks Doug. 'Appreciate your clarification.

I love many types of photography, including uncensored artistic nudes. And most of the major museums around the world seem to share that perspective. But of course on the internet there's always someone willing to complain about almost anything. Hence, my self censorship.

Thanks Doug. I understand of course that if everything is allowed, there will be soon only photos here with a different intention than an artistic one.

Erik.

I should probably add that any nudity makes that bit of RFF "not safe for work". Or even some off-work environments. I don't know how many (or how few) members browse RFF where others (at work, say) may look over their shoulders at RFF content... Something to consider.

I for one appreciate that.

I guess it's obvious I feel the same way or I wouldn't have made the original image and posted it on my Flickr account. But because I rarely see any nudes on this forum, I wanted to be considerate of other peoples' sensibilities.

Hello all,

I'm thinking of selling my Summicron ASPH II for a v3 or v4. I've found a v3 version that has just been CLA'ed for about half the price I think I can get for my ASPH II.

My thinking is that a smaller lens might be nice, and that I typically prefer the lower contrast look of the older lenses.

Anyone have experience with shooting BW film with both? Do you see noticeable differences?

I've used (briefly) Summicron 35s v.II and IV and extensively Summicron-C 40 (some say it's similar to 35/2 v. III) and Summicron 35 Asph. The Asph is much better for colour, I'll even say a bit special. If you use your lenses in bad/low light the Asph also delivers oodles of contrast -- the kind which helps define contours and details of objects. I guess you know all that since you have one, I am just reminding the strenghts of the Asph. Older Summicron versions are more compact and light and have more straightforward distortion (the 35/2 Asph has a little pincushion which is harder to correct in post, although I don't other at all) but in my experience they suffer in low light. Don't judge wide open performance by photos taken at f/2 in good light. I love my 40/2 C, for its compactness and the peculiar focal length, but I don't really use it below f/2.8 at night, for example. (OK, sometimes I do. But I avoid it if I can.) They are all very good lenses closed down but if you prefer descriptive rather than dreamy rendition wide open, the Asph is still the way to go. Just my 2 eurocents, obviously.

I find the lens too soft in the important regions :D:angel:

I went from a cron40 to 35 V4 to ASPH (v1) and back to a minolta 40 (I like the 40mm just better) of the two 35s I had I would pick the V4 even tho I had a Canadian one. I just liked it better on film.
All those lenses are great tho.

If it's a monetary decision I'd go for a V3 in your case (around here V3s are quite expensive too). Or maybe even a voigt 35/2 (duck and cover)

I had a V3 and sold it to help purchase a MP in 2003. The lens is well built. It has just as nice OOF blur as a v4. It is a tiny lens and changing the aperture may not be to your liking. I currently have the v2 with the aperture stick. You can immediately see why the designer included the aperture aid.

One last comment. I have a color print using the v3 lens and its far nicer than any other color print I have…vibrant but still natural colors.

My own ranking of all the summicrons:
V1: You must own at least three and use them all, and ask your wife to tuck one into your dead body for the burrial.

V4 a clear economic version but now with 7 elements. All the flaws and imperfections add up to very pleasing images. Great colors.

V2 a drop from 8 to 6 elements. Unexcusable. But yet, very badass aperture design, very small, ok optics.

V3 getting fatter. Still 6 elements, you know Leica were looking to save.

V6, hyped up run of the mill suuuper boring V5.

V5, suuuuper boring. Reminds me of a kit lens. Refined, and boring. I don’t see extraordinary colors.

NO sell
my taste prefers
the asph
richer inkier Blacks, , edgier in look

though v3 is Beautiful
‘classic’ in rendering

have had
have used BOTH
can’t ever go wrong w/ either

I've had a 35mm v3 for 50 years and just love it. The rest of my Leica glass is new (28mm, 50mm, 90mm), but I don't need a new 35mm. The old one's fine. I'm about 1/2 colour and 1/2 B&W, on an M4, M6 and M11.

..Avery

Back