Sell second R-D1 or keep for parts?

alexfilm

Local time
9:07 AM
A few years back I ended up with two R-D1 bodies, both of which work and have the original Epson chargers. The only difference is that the needles on one do not move.

Prices for these have reached a level of something insane from listings that I've seen – approaching the cost of a used M8 or even an M9 on a cheap day – but I assume working on one would also be tricky if I ever need repairs done to the body I have that is fully functional.

So the first world problem to solve is – keep the second body, or sell it? Or do I get the needle response repaired now on the body that still captures fine and whose LCD works for who knows what sort of cost?

I just started to shoot with these again, which is why I find myself wondering if I need two.

What you have now are two cameras that, if they break, may cost more than it's worth to have them fixed, assuming they even could be fixed. Might not be able to be fixed, there's few parts available, and even fewer people that work on these cameras. No parts, no fix.

Old electronic cameras can and do develop gremlins doing nothing. One day you turn it on and it doesn't turn on, that sort of thing. So simply holding onto one is a risk in itself. If you hang onto two you double your risk.

I would keep one, sell the other, and if you wanted you could stash the money for when/if your remaining camera breaks. You're not gonna do that of course, but you could. Better to have one working camera and money to replace it than to have two working cameras that could quite possibly become two non working cameras through no fault of your own.

If you don't particularly need the money I'd be keeping both. First point being if prices are rising they will continue to rise .... and I guess the reason for that being no other digital camera is ever likely to develop a cult following/status in the way the RD1 appears to be doing ... and for good reasons I'll add. It's totally unique ... which a digital M, in my opinion, isn't!

Point two ... technology is changing rapidly as is the ability to repair things that have been deemed irreparable ... currently the world is full of geeks who are working out how to keep stuff alive from the digital era and after all these things aren't made from pixie dust ... they are hardware and software. Twenty years from now someone will be repairing an RD1 ... I don't doubt this!

I have one that I snapped up in our classifieds several years ago for $600 ... if someone wants it they will have to take it from my cold dead hands! :D

I took some shots today at f/11 with the body that works fine – if nothing else, those shots demonstrate that it's time for a sensor cleaning to remove some dust that doesn't show at f/8. And probably get the other sensor checked as well ;)

Steve – I take your point about hardware that goes wonky because something fails – things work until they don't.

Remember that, unlike most digital cameras, the R-D1 can easily be dismantled and worked on, being based on a Bessa film body. If you don't feel you up to that, you can always print out the "tear down" instructions and give them to someone who can.

When I used to own an R-D1 (15 years ago - time flies!) I kept a website, and eventually I gave the content to Cameraquest. See https://cameraquest.com/Epson-R-D1/_r-d1/r-d1_18a.htm - menu at foot of page.

Non-working dials have been noted before - unfortunately, I can't recall why. I've a vague recollection that poor/broken electrical connection was the culprit. Anyway, easy enough to take the top off and check the wiring and strip connectors. Incidentally, the dials are adapted Seiko watch parts, Seiko being the parent company of Epson!

Back