Selling on ebay: pitfalls?

Three little letters: KEH. No, you won't get anywhere near what you might make on eBay, but they are honest and reliable, and totally risk-free. For me, it's worth making less on the sale. What's the price of endless aggravation?
Sorry, but this isn't much help if you're in Oz with DownUnder. But the principle remains the same.

And in the UK - Ffordes or MPB seem fine - plus there’s often a local shop or two and then also Wex and LCE.

I currently have 3 very low value items on the auction site but only because it’s easy

Three little letters: KEH. No, you won't get anywhere near what you might make on eBay, but they are honest and reliable, and totally risk-free. For me, it's worth making less on the sale. What's the price of endless aggravation?
Sorry, but this isn't much help if you're in Oz with DownUnder. But the principle remains the same.

Yeh. It's comforting to know great minds think alike... (y)

Something I intended to mention before, but forgot. When selling photo items worth a reasonable amount on Ebay, take photos of the item and the packing process. They will be useful to you if you ever have to prove a sold item was as you listed it.

A few years ago a buyer bought an old Hasselblad prism with a meter (still working), the metal showing its advanced age but with the glass in fine condition. I packaged it for posting with several layers of bubble wrap and put it in a Ryvita crisp bread box (which fitted it perfectly)I and also bubble wrapped. the outside of the box The item was shipped via Australia Post. Fortunately, I took a series photos of the entire process as well as the item.

The buyer complained to Ebay that the glass had a fine scratch on it. He also whined about the "biscuit box" I used for packing. Didn't bother to mention the several layers of bubble wrap. Made all the predictable threats about negative feedback and wanted a partial refund. Huh huh huh.

As it was, the post office had opened the packet and then sent it on to the buyer with a note saying the item was inspected for damage. Odd of them to do that, I thought. So I queried my local postmaster who opined that the packet had "probably" been damaged during transit or at the mail sorting center. I related all this to the buyer and to Ebay along with several photos. Ebay ruled in my favor, so it ended well for me.

It may have helped my case that he (buyer) was well known for complaining in his feedback about items he bought. Also annoying to me, as he paid the grand sum of AUD $80 for the item...

Anyway, yet another reason for me to avoid Ebay like the plague. Dogs and fleas. Once bitten, forever shy.

Yeh. It's comforting to know great minds think alike... (y)

Something I intended to mention before, but forgot. When selling photo items worth a reasonable amount on Ebay, take photos of the item and the packing process. They will be useful to you if you ever have to prove a sold item was as you listed it.

A few years ago a buyer bought an old Hasselblad prism with a meter (still working), the metal showing its advanced age but with the glass in fine condition. I packaged it for posting with several layers of bubble wrap and put it in a Ryvita crisp bread box (which fitted it perfectly)I and also bubble wrapped. the outside of the box The item was shipped via Australia Post. Fortunately, I took a series photos of the entire process as well as the item.

The buyer complained to Ebay that the glass had a fine scratch on it. He also whined about the "biscuit box" I used for packing. Didn't bother to mention the several layers of bubble wrap. Made all the predictable threats about negative feedback and wanted a partial refund. Huh huh huh.

As it was, the post office had opened the packet and then sent it on to the buyer with a note saying the item was inspected for damage. Odd of them to do that, I thought. So I queried my local postmaster who opined that the packet had "probably" been damaged during transit or at the mail sorting center. I related all this to the buyer and to Ebay along with several photos. Ebay ruled in my favor, so it ended well for me.

It may have helped my case that he (buyer) was well known for complaining in his feedback about items he bought. Also annoying to me, as he paid the grand sum of AUD $80 for the item...

Anyway, yet another reason for me to avoid Ebay like the plague. Dogs and fleas. Once bitten, forever shy.
Also take a photo of the scales at the Post Office and on the stamp/post franking. This helps if they send you back and empty box and claim loss or theft in transit, or send you a different item!

Such a lovely place, eBay.

Yes, for the most part the world is still a lovely place. While it lasts.

As for Ebay, the jury is out. No bets taken on the verdict. This thread says it all...

I cannot repeat myself enough on this, consignment selling with a reputable shop (if you find one close to where you are) is surely the best way. Results +50, reduced aggravation +100. Success rating - well, you decide.

Such a lovely place, the world. A whole universe of rogues and bounders!
One of my favorite Gary Larson's :ROFLMAO:

ee6319aae2924d917414f610879d79dd--alien-nation-the-aliens.jpg

Back