Seoul, South Korea

shane_goguen

Established
Local time
2:35 AM
Hi all, I will be traveling to Seoul for business at the end of October. I'll be in Pyeontaek for 5 days working, Then I'll have 2-3 days of personal time where I can stay or travel anywhere I wish.

Any suggestions on areas I should visit? I like historic areas, bright neon (the less western the better)

Downtown Seoul has so much to see. There are 5 palaces within walking distance of one another downtown. And in late October, the foliage should be in peak color and the weather excellent. There is also plentiful nightlife. Just book a room downtown and go out walking each day. You won't be bored.

Downtown Seoul has so much to see. There are 5 palaces within walking distance of one another downtown. And in late October, the foliage should be in peak color and the weather excellent. There is also plentiful nightlife. Just book a room downtown and go out walking each day. You won't be bored.

Thanks Peter, I'll do that!

Was in Seoul last July. A beautiful city, easy to move around in the Metro if you avoid the rush hours.

Besides the palaces, I would recommend the markets. And Myeongdong area, the pedestrian street with food stalls on your way to the Catholic cathedral.

There is excellent tourist information and good maps in the tourism offices downtown.

They eat million dogs per year.

You'd have a difficult time finding a restaurant in Seoul that serves dog. It's more of a rural peasant food. That said, I can remember once, while walking through a traditional market, we passed a vendor with two dressed dog carcasses in her refrigerator case. That was few years ago. It was slightly disturbing to my western sensibilities.

You'd have a difficult time finding a restaurant in Seoul that serves dog. It's more of a rural peasant food. That said, I can remember once, while walking through a traditional market, we passed a vendor with two dressed dog carcasses in her refrigerator case. That was few years ago. It was slightly disturbing to my western sensibilities.

Thanks Peter, I want to avoid seeing that.

Having lived in Seoul for many years here are my 2 cents

Dog meat. It's a cruelty issue that has a lot of attention and action. Its worth remembering that cultures eat what they can grow.

Photography. Take a look at this Flickr group. This will give help you with what is a very target-rich environment. I would visit Insa-dong (Jonggak or Anguk dong subway stations). Garos-gil (Sinsa subway station) These are good for street photography.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/flickrinseoul/

If you can't get away from Pyeontaek try to get to Hwaseong. There's a picturesque fort and military history.

If you need more advice message me.

Mel

Back