New York September NYC Meet-Up/Photoville

Smut: It is rumored (we know that rumors tend to be true from past experience) that the new M10M will have a 41-42 MP sensor.

A step towards medium format for sure. Crazy resolution due to no Bayer filter array.

I hope this rumor is true.

Cal

No way, all you need to do is get a Sony A7 mark 4 and slap a Leica lens
on that bad boy and your all set! 60 or so megapixels!

Bob,

For B&W I think a M10M with only 41-42 Mp would win. Not having a Bayer Filter Array is a bigger deal to add resolution.

Also the user experience is worth the Leica Premium.

What about using Leica wides on an A7? Not so great.

Leica profiles are a good thing if you shoot Leica glass. E-Z-P-Z to make "clean" files.

Cal

For pure resolution that is the way to go, but the ergonomics are really not so great. I use manual lenses on the a7r, and as you can see clearly when you miss focus, I zoom in each time to nail it. It is slow, so I just don’t use that camera for moving subjects. The question is, do you really need 60mp for action anyway?
The files I get when I scan 645 are 60mp also, but are not bitingly sharp thanks to the AF, or “arbitrary focus” as I call it.

Parcels still get delivered, and we haven't run out of hangars yet. It is "Fashion Month" but for "Maggie" lots of the glam and excitment is gone. I told Maggie to keep it fun. Last night she re-luck-tent-lee went to a dinner, but was glad she went because she met some interesting people.

Meanwhile there are Kate ***** ads that feature Maggie spackled and billboarded all over NYC and L.A. just in time for Fashion Month.

Also some of Maggie's writing was solicited by Maria Schriver for some online platform. Only 500-600 words. This guest invite is like a test where she might be invited to be a regular featured writer.

I'm glad Maggie canned the trip to London. The British Pound dropped below 120 earlier in the week. Expect anarchy, chaos, and unstability. Some expect the Pound to hit "parity" with the U.S. Dollar. Ouch. Just imaging if the U.S. Dollar dropping 20% in value. Typically the Pound is worth 1.25 U.S. Dollars.

I have been running on Randall's Island. Call me antisocial, but Central Park has too many crowds of people to negociate around.

It was reported that a cyclist on an electric bike hit a 74 year old man on the west side in Central Park near 74th Street. Guess who died? The cyclist was in a coma and died two days later. The 74 year old suffered only mild injuries.

Separately police are looking for a cyclist that hit a man in Chelsea and left the scene. The pedestrian later died.

Did you see the footage of the cyclist who was pancaked by a Jeep? The killing was performed on purpose.

Cal

After seeing that obliterated bike, I realize that all those black SUV’s that keep trying to run me off the road are just joking around. If they were serious, I wouldn’t be here typing this. I’ll tell myself that that should be a comforting thought, but I’m not sure it is.

After seeing that obliterated bike, I realize that all those black SUV’s that keep trying to run me off the road are just joking around. If they were serious, I wouldn’t be here typing this. I’ll tell myself that that should be a comforting thought, but I’m not sure it is.

Christian,

Seems like a few of the incidents of killed cyclists there remains a question of whether they were all "accidents."

I have had cars aggressively try to run me down when walking.

Road rage is no joke.

Also know I punched a delivery guy riding his electric bike on the sidewalk (in the arm/shoulder) because he got too close. It was just a "love-tap."

DeBlasio's "Zero Vision" has increased congestion and incidents of road rage. Instead of lowering fatalities the unintended consequence has been increased fatalities.

Also it is at a point where there are not only too many cars, but also too many bikes, and too many pedestrians. At least in Madhattan there is. Also people texting while walking is a problem.

Cal

Parcels still get delivered, and we haven't run out of hangars yet. It is "Fashion Month" but for "Maggie" lots of the glam and excitment is gone. I told Maggie to keep it fun. Last night she re-luck-tent-lee went to a dinner, but was glad she went because she met some interesting people.

Meanwhile there are Kate ***** ads that feature Maggie spackled and billboarded all over NYC and L.A. just in time for Fashion Month.

Also some of Maggie's writing was solicited by Maria Schriver for some online platform. Only 500-600 words. This guest invite is like a test where she might be invited to be a regular featured writer.

I'm glad Maggie canned the trip to London. The British Pound dropped below 120 earlier in the week. Expect anarchy, chaos, and unstability. Some expect the Pound to hit "parity" with the U.S. Dollar. Ouch. Just imaging if the U.S. Dollar dropping 20% in value. Typically the Pound is worth 1.25 U.S. Dollars.

I have been running on Randall's Island. Call me antisocial, but Central Park has too many crowds of people to negociate around.

It was reported that a cyclist on an electric bike hit a 74 year old man on the west side in Central Park near 74th Street. Guess who died? The cyclist was in a coma and died two days later. The 74 year old suffered only mild injuries.

Separately police are looking for a cyclist that hit a man in Chelsea and left the scene. The pedestrian later died.

Did you see the footage of the cyclist who was pancaked by a Jeep? The killing was performed on purpose.

Cal

I saw the cyclist going across a four lane street getting smacked by a
truck, that was pretty lame to do that.

September NYC Meet-Up/Photoville

Texters are annoying when they are sleep walking in the crosswalk. Im much more concerned by people driving with their phone up in front of their face. One of my least favorite things is the surprised look I get when some driver looks up from his phone and notices me.

I today watched some cool dude in a convertible cruising with his dog in his lap enjoying life. At some point he leaned his phone out the window and took a selfie. While doing this he veered totally into the oncoming lane. People do dumb things all the time.

The problem with road rage is that if you actually sandwich someone into a parked truck, and flip over your own car, you get arrested, but if you only threaten to do it, it is totally legal. NYPD will refuse to take an incidence rapport if there was no physical contact. Ask me how I know...
So you can run people off the road if you arent too reckless about it.

Texters are annoying when they are sleep walking in the crosswalk. Im much more concerned by people driving with their phone up in front of their face. One of my least favorite things is the surprised look I get when some driver looks up from his phone and notices me.

I today watched some cool dude in a convertible cruising with his dog in his lap enjoying life. At some point he leaned his phone out the window and took a selfie. While doing this he veered totally into the oncoming lane. People do dumb things all the time.

The problem with road rage is that if you actually sandwich someone into a parked truck, and flip over your own car, you get arrested, but if you only threaten to do it, it is totally legal. NYPD will refuse to take an incidence rapport if there was no physical contact. Ask me how I know...

Christian,

I recognize that unless someone is injured or bleeding pretty much nothing happens.

I like to tell the story of my friend Iron Mike's brother "Brian" (every person I ever met named Brian was a hell raiser when younger, except one who says he wasn't).

Some car did something dumb or dangerous and Brian had a fit of "bike rage" he caught up with the car and sacrificed his bike using it as a weapon to break the windshield and dent panels all over the car basically trashing both the car and his bike.

Pretty much he made his bike into a weapon. Of course the guy stayed in his car. People get scared when aggression at this level is released.

Another New York story involved this guy I knew at Grumman who was mucho muscular because he was a gymnast. He told me a story that involved a girlfriend he had who was mucho hot. Guys would do or say something and it would esculate into a fight.

So this one time he is driving and this hard core biker on a Harley at a stoplight says something to his girl and he says F-U. The light changes and at the next stoplight the biker takes the opportunity to get off his bike and stick his head into my friend's car saying, "What did you say to me?"

My friend pushed the guys helmet against the "A" pillar and the windshield, hit the gas, and blew though the light with the guy in tow. Wound the speedometer up to 55 MPH (80 feet per second) and then let the guy go.

Moral of the story: better to act first rather than talk.

Today I said, "Excuse me," to a bigger younger guy who was texting on his cell phone who was going to walk right into me. I also raised my forearm to brace myself for impact, but we did not collide.

This self involved culture I see in younger generations is not cool. Also because of age and size differences I take this as a serious threat to my safety which means I don't have a problem if I have to take someone out who might injure me.

Saying you're sorry I feel has no meaning. "Oh-well," I say if we are going to be casual about safety and reckless behavior.

Cal

"Maggie" is also being "billboarded" in London as well as NYC and L.A.

She learned about this yesterday at a "fitting." Kinda funny how it "slipped out" in conversation. Maggie was told the champaign was NYC and L.A., but evidently they expanded it to London without telling anyone.

Kinda funny how this was not in the contract. Hmmm...

Of course Maggie told her agent.

Cal

"Maggie" is also being "billboarded" in London as well as NYC and L.A.

She learned about this yesterday at a "fitting." Kinda funny how it "slipped out" in conversation. Maggie was told the champaign was NYC and L.A., but evidently they expanded it to London without telling anyone.

Kinda funny how this was not in the contract. Hmmm...

Of course Maggie told her agent.

Cal

Good going Maggie!

I placed the following ad in the classifieds:

FOR PICK UP ONLY IN LOWER MANHATTAN

Because of relocation I'm letting go of these at bargain price.
But pls read carefully as these items are incomplete.

• OPEMUS 5 Enlarger . 1982. First owner. 150W bulb stuck in place, can probably be dislodged with lubricant. 220V plug but dual voltage so works in U.S. Will include France->USA adapter plug. Beat up but works fine. NO LENS AND NO LENS BOARD INCLUDED. .... $5

• EPSON V700 SCANNER with none of the original film holders but with the BetterScanning Dual MF Film Holder and one 120/220 Anti-Newton Ring (ANR) glass insert (caution: 1 insert only, you will need to order a second one or scan one strip at a time) ... $100

• Fuji GS645S Wide 60 . For parts only . ... $0 . Will give to the first person to pick up either the enlarger or the scanner.

I may have more giveaways as I go through my stuff.

Leica Rumors has some leaked photo's of the SL2. 47 MP, a smaller grip, and the rubberized covering wraps around the front. On the back only three buttons so it resembles and matches my CL.

Perhaps I will start a wine-ING champaign to encourage "Maggie" to buy me one. Did you know that a researcher found out that people from Long Island are the worse wine-ers and quantitatively they found out that Long Islanders whine 5 times more than the national average.

Saturday I had to wake up early because Maggie was part of a Kate Sp_de (if I spell it out it gets sensored) show where she was a runway model. The event was held in some garden on Elizabeth Street. Maggie was a bit of a wreck because it was not a straight runway and was on a gravel path that wandered through the garden.

Maggie's place in the line up was right before the encore who was some big famous super model. Because Maggie is only 5'2" she kinda had to double step to keep up with the much taller models. LOL.

Despite all the nervousness Maggie did a reasonable job curbing the amount of events she attended and did not get raging crazy like she normally gets during NYC Fashion Week. This is a good thing.

Meanwhile I'm on the sidelines relaxing, somewhat removed from the world of fashion. This is good for me.

Cal

Here in Philly, it's a little more like the wild west. There are a lot of hardcore cyclists that wear their Kryptonite New York locks (hardened steel chain plus very small U lock) bandoleer style. Some wear a medium U lock stuffed in their belt on their back (this risks spinal injury though.) Anyway, if there is a belligerent car that strikes the cyclist and the biker is still on two wheels upright, maybe the car loses a window because a U lock hit it.
A decade ago, I was riding from Temple U back home to west Philly. I was riding up Vine St and an ay-whole with four people in his car moved over three lanes to the right and scrubbed me right up against the curb at 15mph in this dude's right side blind spot. Since I was cyclocross racing at the time, I was good in weird situations so I was riding one handed and pounding on the rear passenger A glass. Just as I was about to smash the window (an injure the passenger) the person on the other side of the glass looked at me and started yelling at the driver. Of course the driver over-compensated, slowed too fast, pulled his car to the left and the back of the car pivoted over the rear wheels and kicked me off my bike. I was fine and on my feet but I was yelling with that bike lock in hand. Driver apologized and drove off.
One other time I was hit by a drunk driver at maybe 3mph. I rolled over this guy's hood and scratched the ESS out of his car with my shoes and bike. He complained and apologized at the same time. People in cars are idiots down here. I can't stand driving, it makes me a worse person, intensely angry. I may sell Trudy, my beloved 72 Benz, as a matter of fact.
::END RANT

Phil Forrest

Here in Philly, it's a little more like the wild west. There are a lot of hardcore cyclists that wear their Kryptonite New York locks (hardened steel chain plus very small U lock) bandoleer style. Some wear a medium U lock stuffed in their belt on their back (this risks spinal injury though.) Anyway, if there is a belligerent car that strikes the cyclist and the biker is still on two wheels upright, maybe the car loses a window because a U lock hit it.
A decade ago, I was riding from Temple U back home to west Philly. I was riding up Vine St and an ay-whole with four people in his car moved over three lanes to the right and scrubbed me right up against the curb at 15mph in this dude's right side blind spot. Since I was cyclocross racing at the time, I was good in weird situations so I was riding one handed and pounding on the rear passenger A glass. Just as I was about to smash the window (an injure the passenger) the person on the other side of the glass looked at me and started yelling at the driver. Of course the driver over-compensated, slowed too fast, pulled his car to the left and the back of the car pivoted over the rear wheels and kicked me off my bike. I was fine and on my feet but I was yelling with that bike lock in hand. Driver apologized and drove off.
One other time I was hit by a drunk driver at maybe 3mph. I rolled over this guy's hood and scratched the ESS out of his car with my shoes and bike. He complained and apologized at the same time. People in cars are idiots down here. I can't stand driving, it makes me a worse person, intensely angry. I may sell Trudy, my beloved 72 Benz, as a matter of fact.
::END RANT

Phil Forrest

Phil,

Too much congestion to enjoy riding. Hard enough just trying to walk. Too many fools. Too much entitlement. Too many clueless people.

I played Lacross. Our team sucked because it was the first year we assembled a team to play. We always got killed, but our coach once played Lacross for the Marines.

When he taught us the game he said, "There are only two rules you need to know: one is you can't hit an opponent in the head with your stick; and two you can't hit him from behind. Everything else kinda goes."

So we played Lacross like Burt in the film "The Longest Yard." So basically walking, running, biking or driving is kinda like one big "free for all" today in NYC.

Central Park is so over run and crowded that unless you go really early it kinda sucks.

Almost got in a fist fight by Bloomingdales a while back because this guy was going to walk right into me. I pushed him with my open palms on both shoulders because he was texting and walking on a rather crowded Third Avenue.

Then he gets aggressive. He's about 4 inches taller than me and perhaps in his late 20's. From his dress and manner I'd even say he went to Grad school, and we are standing toe to toe.

So I warn him that if he wants to fight that he's picking one with a 60 year old man and that win or loose that eventually either he will get his ass kicked in a blink of an eye 1970's style, or he will ruin his life because he assaulted a 60 year old man.

"Your move. You get to throw the first punch, but I don't think you'll like the response. I'm ready are you?" I said.

He walked away and then I called him an A-hole.

BTW I was really good at man-ball drills where you learned to flip the switch to use pure aggression for combat. No rules...

Cal

Cal, you're living in an area where my first theorem gets proven every day. "Stupid people are never infertile"

Their kids are clogging the streets and sidewalks of NYC.

Cal, you're living in an area where my first theorem gets proven every day. "Stupid people are never infertile"

MFM,

This guy at least had the intelligence to understand where things were going. I basically gave him a choice.

It is interesting to note that as I get older I seem to revert back to when I was a kid myself and had little to loose.

Also another 70's NYC story I saw on Canal Street or perhaps Houston Street. I saw this 18-20 year old hassling an older man who was perhaps of retirement age. The youngster was thin and athletic, and the old man sported a belly.

I saw the old man turn his back on the kid in an attempt to just walk away, but the kid kept at it and grabbed the older man by the shoulders to turn him around. It seemed like a cue for the old man that enough was enough, and as he was being turned he took the step to launch a powerful uppercut that lifted the kid off the ground.

The kid kinda fell to the ground like a tossed newspaper but then there was this sound of the back of that kid's skull against the sidewalk. I was driving my car or maybe a cab and drove on. It all happened in a blink of an eye.

I figure that that old man likely swung a 20 ounce hammer for 40 years, or perhaps he did some other type of heavy construction. I never saw anyone get hit so hard like that. That kid will never be the same.

That old man "flipped the switch." He did everything right. Good fights end quickly.

Cal

I used to live in that area several years back. Didn't think there was anything wrong with the area. Just jerks like you with your theorems

Back