Several new cheap LF cameras

HHPhoto

Well-known
Local time
5:19 PM
Hi,

looks like there is a new and strong momentum in establishing new but cheap Large Format cameras:
First has been the Intrepid project:
https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/intrepid-camera

Then the Chroma Camera was introduced:
http://chroma.camera/

Just recently the Standard 3D printed camera was successfully financed on Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...d-4x5-a-3d-printed-4x5-view-camera?ref=4utxpj

And another 3D printed cheap LF camera:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/416154634/cameradactyl-4x5-field-camera

Cheers, Jan

Hideous hipster gear.

I'll happily eat ramen for a year to afford me a sturdy and genuinely beautiful mahogany-and-brass camera.

been following this modern day Ansel Adams on youtube. he uses large format, intrepid among other gear.

large format lens prices no doubt will jump, as the medium becomes more popular.

I'm a cynical old fogey and always get suspicious when bandwagons spring up. Seems that "Kickstarters" have realized they can rake in the bucks by creating new Large Format Camera Projects.

Wouldn't be so suspicious if they were actually selling cameras, but creating these fund raising "projects" always seems like a scam to me.

But again, I'm just an old fogey.

Best,
-Tim

I have a studio basement in my home filled with Sinar Norma and Plaubel LF cameras. They were not THAT expensive, I have bought them for good prices over time.

If these are truly sturdy (and hold up well) they might be viable. But eek they are hideous! :)

I'm a cynical old fogey and always get suspicious when bandwagons spring up. Seems that "Kickstarters" have realized they can rake in the bucks by creating new Large Format Camera Projects.

Wouldn't be so suspicious if they were actually selling cameras, but creating these fund raising "projects" always seems like a scam to me.

But again, I'm just an old fogey.

Best,
-Tim

I really don't think these are scams Tim, (even though they may not be a wise purchase considering available used gear). Most seem to be over enthusiastic young folks who really believe they have a great idea and that other folks might feel the same. I also don't think they 'rake in the bucks' as you say. I would not be surprised if most creators have to spend a considerable amount of their own funds to start or especially, to complete a project.
Again, my comment is not about the wisdom of backing these projects.
That decision, yes or no, is the responsibility of the backers themselves.

Oh, by the way, I'm an old fogey myself, staring down 70 now.

I opened all four links. Only one of them has price tag clearly visible and normal shop page.
Another three is too new way of buying to me. I was not able to find the price.
OP is superior on skills to determine that all four are cheap.

Too many of these nowadays, not sure how many the market really needs. Obviously they are super easy and relatively cheap to make so I guess I see the draw but it is like they are unaware of how much competition there is.

I like the idea of cheep plastic 3D printed cams..
Always wanted a Walker 8x10..
Waterproof..
If you break it..just do another part yourself..or order direct..
Now for the film holders..
And an 11x14 and 7x17 and up..would really be something!

The Intrepid cameras are very well made, high quality birch plywood and properly made bellows. I have an 8x10 camera, it weighs only 2.15 kg and that matters out in the field. 400 others also bought an 8x10 camera from Intrepid; yes that's right, four hundred. And they have also sold several hundred of their 4x5 camera which is now available in a Mk 3 version. These people might be young, but they are serious people that love large format.

Are hipsters even a thing anymore... and what is wrong with people making new cameras?

Exactly.
No one is forced to buy these. They are additional supply and choices photographers can choose from. Nothing wrong at all with that.

And there is demand:
Intrepid has already built and sold several hundred units. They currently have already 7 fulltime workers producing the cameras.
Have a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLHX_zmEMMw

The other three are already successfully funded with often more than double amount of funding as to what was needed. So enough photographers there who want such kind of cameras.

And I think about it also from another point of view: Small scale parts manufacturing and 3D printing: The experiences made in camera construction here in such projects can diffuse / can be transferred into other camera making and camera repair projects or companies in the future.
I would not be surprised if we see repair companies making spare parts for certain cameras in future with technologies like 3D printing.

Last edited:
They're still too expensive for what you get, but it's a step in the right direction. Always thought that LF cameras were absurdly overpriced, considering that you had to also purchase a lens and shutter, along w/ a ground glass. I mean, looki at a bike.....there are a heck of a lot of parts there, and some of them have to be made to close tolerances, but you can buy a decent one for $250 to $300. I just don't see why the cameras cost so much because there is little in the way of materials and they are very simply built. Their build tolerances are really not super tight either.

The last link with the colourful cameras made me smile, but they may be difficult to sell.

They need to get the 4x5 cameras down to a price point that is below a used Crown Graflex for me to be interested, or as interested as I get about LF. Once went landscape shooting w/ a neighbor that shot LF and took along a 4x5 camera, along with a TLR and MF folder to shoot comparison shots. Ended up preferring the MF photos when it was all said and done. They were sharper, and I could handhold the cameras and shoot a whole roll of film before I got the LF camera ready to shoot one shot on it's tripod.

They're still too expensive for what you get, but it's a step in the right direction. Always thought that LF cameras were absurdly overpriced, considering that you had to also purchase a lens and shutter, along w/ a ground glass. I mean, looki at a bike.....there are a heck of a lot of parts there, and some of them have to be made to close tolerances, but you can buy a decent one for $250 to $300. I just don't see why the cameras cost so much because there is little in the way of materials and they are very simply built. Their build tolerances are really not super tight either.

The last link with the colourful cameras made me smile, but they may be difficult to sell.

They need to get the 4x5 cameras down to a price point that is below a used Crown Graflex for me to be interested, or as interested as I get about LF. Once went landscape shooting w/ a neighbor that shot LF and took along a 4x5 camera, along with a TLR and MF folder to shoot comparison shots. Ended up preferring the MF photos when it was all said and done. They were sharper, and I could handhold the cameras and shoot a whole roll of film before I got the LF camera ready to shoot one shot on it's tripod.
Dear Steve,

Bicycles are made in very much larger numbers, for a vastly bigger market, with numerous bought-in parts. Most parts on most LF cameras are specific to those cameras, though there are exceptions: Cambo backs on Gandolfi Variant cameras, for example.

I fully take your point about medium format. I feel somewhat the same way myself: a 3x enlargement off Linhof 56x72mm "6x7" is the same size as a whole-plate contact print; often sharper; and tonally can be just as good. On the other hand, if you want an 8x10 inch negative for contact printing with alternative processes, you're going to need an 8x10 inch camera, or a reducing back on something even bigger.

Cheers,

R.

i’m hoping for cheap ultra large format cameras: 7x17, 11x14, 16x20, 20x24. throw in whole plate while we’re at it. now that would be exciting.

Back