"shake it like a polaroid picture"

When flapping a peel apart picture you just catch all the dust in the air. It´s the most silly way to handle a polaroid, but in nearly every movie they abuse the prints like that, both peel aparts and integrals.

When I was working in advertising many years ago, and people used a LOT of peel-apart Polaroid, there were three groups when it came to Polaroid development (not drying). There were the wavers/flappers, the hold still brigade (who might even put the print down on the table), and the Church of the Armpit (kept it nice and warm). I'm reasonably sure I remember a sort of stainless steel shim book-cover being popular with the last: they tucked the Polaroid inside it before sticking it under their arms.

It never seemed to matter much. They were all happy...

Tashi delek,

R.

excellent answers all. seems that there are still varying opinions on if flapping is the way or not... time to call mythbusters ? :)

> I'm reasonably sure I remember a sort of stainless steel shim book-cover being popular
> with the last: they tucked the Polaroid inside it before sticking it under their arms.

This was the Polaroid "Cold-Pack", usually kept in the cover of the camera. Used when the outside temperature was below 65F or so. Development time slowed down tremendously with temperature with the type 108 film. Placing the film in the cold-pack, and then someplace to keep it warm was required for good results. "Under your Arm" was suggested in the manual.

I am in the category of setting the film down on a flat surface, shooting several at a time, placing them in order. Make sure the most recent one gets the suggested developing time. 690 film makes this possible. Older 669 film requires more careful timing.

I thought we were talking about today and not ancient history. Fuji is all that is left. It is self terminating, pull it out, let it sit but don't open too soon. They make it like this so you can open it in a dust free area.

I assumed the title of this thread was referring to yet another expression that young folks wouldn't understand. Sorta like saying, "gee, that was an E-ticket ride!" which refers back to when the best rides at Disneyland required one of the few E-tickets from the ride ticket book you purchased when entering Disneyland - a practice long gone so younger folks have no idea what is being referred to.

I have a case of cold-stored 669 film at my disposal, dated late 2008. I've got another three years at least of the stuff...

I have a case of cold-stored 669 film at my disposal, dated late 2008. I've got another three years at least of the stuff...

Lucky you, I wonder how many packs are left in the world. Still, flapping does nothing, putting under the armpit does something, but big deal. Today shoot, put in your Domke bag and go home to separate.

I thought we were talking about today and not ancient history. Fuji is all that is left. It is self terminating, pull it out, let it sit but don't open too soon. They make it like this so you can open it in a dust free area.

What do you mean by "self terminating"?
Do you mean I can not overdevelop it? So I just pull it out between the rollers of the camera and it has no importance when I separate? This would ofcourse fine, but then why do they indicate the time after you need to separate as a function of enviromental temperature?

Eugen

Fuji film develops to the end point and that is it. You do have, if you want to see the image: now, to wait for the rated time for your temperature. Yes, you can not over- develop. The only thing that I have found is that if you find the edges 'miss' some development is to rub the vertical edges of the pulled film right after pulling it. You will like the Fuji films, they do have a very narrow latitude, so be very careful if you shoot a shaded subject to not get any bright light in the meters area of vision.

I assumed the title of this thread was referring to yet another expression that young folks wouldn't understand. Sorta like saying, "gee, that was an E-ticket ride!" which refers back to when the best rides at Disneyland required one of the few E-tickets from the ride ticket book you purchased when entering Disneyland - a practice long gone so younger folks have no idea what is being referred to.

Heck...try using the word "Clockwise" or the phrase "roll up your window"...
I had to explain the "E-Ticket" thing the other day...

As far as shaking Polaroids...I don't think I did that...it's been a while...:D

Polaroid 690 film cannot be over-developed either. Development times are given on the pack, but they are more "minimum" times than absolute.

Back