Shops and shop windows

Dried shrimp in Ba Chieu Market, Saigon. Epson R-D1x - Zeiss Distagon 4/18 ZM. Not a great combination since the lens is too close to the sensor but I like the effect in this picture.

Michael Kors

Arcadia Mall, Arcadia, Los Angeles County, California - USoA

Image by Taipei-metro

Panasonic G6,
Zuiko 14-42 by Olympus Japan

CE3K - II

Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind - II

Arcadia Mall, Arcadia, Los Angeles County

Image by Taipei-metro

Lumix G6,
14-42 Olympus Zuiko

Havana - The Cuban government is promoting small and medium privately owned businesses, well "sort of". A lack of capital causes many of these to be micro sized retail operations. Here is a collection of some of them I photographed one day for a series "for sale in the street". I was also trying out my new Fuji 14mm lens by shooting with it for a day.

Coffee shop where a cup of coffee is 1 peso (then 4 cents).

DSCF1451.jpg

Sunglass vendors. The story is they all work for the same owner and none are disabled.

DSCF1483.jpg

This guy is in the same place every day selling individual disposable razors, super glue, and ball point pens. This is common all over the country.

DSCF1522.jpg

Vendors with temporary stands selling bootleg CDs are common. The concept of intellectual property does not exist in a Communist environment, so everything is dirt cheap including Lightroom, Photoshop, MS Office.

DSCF1543.jpg

Local private store. Total inventory is 2 packages of cigarettes, 2 boxes of matches, 5 cigars, 2 packages of cookies and some hot coffee.

DSCF1544.jpg

This vegetable stand is the only thing here that is owned by the government.

DSCF1552.jpg

One of many Cubans that fly to Moscow or Guyana to buy merchandise that they resell clandestinely as such is not available elsewhere in Cuba. This woman has no fixed location and simply carries all her inventory in two suitcases as she walks the streets.

DSCF1576.jpg

My friend and neighbor, Flaca, who deals in a niche of the male tourist market, out marketing in late afternoon. You cannot buy her but her services are available for rent overnight if she likes you.

DSCF1603.jpg

Marks, Mississippi - 2015 This retail casket store was the only commercial business remaining on the main street running through downtown Marks, a dying delta town.

casket store Marks MS.jpg

Back