Should I buy a Widelux F7?

Local time
8:24 PM
Should I buy a Widelux F7?

I had an xpan but sold it, since I hate the built in meter, the quality and the price! Now someone offered me a widelux f7 for 460US with shipping. I'll be studying in the UK soon, so there will be more landscapes than street :) thanks

Attachments

• received_10206859273680216.jpg
    received_10206859273680216.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 0
  • received_10206859273800219.jpg
    received_10206859273800219.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 0
  • received_10206859274400234.jpg
    received_10206859274400234.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
The problem with a used Widelux is that you won't know if it has a banding problem (common) until you run a roll of film through it. I have two and they both have a slight banding problem that can only be fixed with an overhaul of the turret mechanism gears.

If it bands to the point where it is noticeably affecting the images be prepared to spend $300 to remedy it. I would also suggest checking out the Widelux rescue page on Jeff Bridges' photo site. LINK

That link ^ gives a pretty good explanation of what to expect from one of these amazing cameras including the banding issue. Before you jump into buying one I'd be sure to do some serious googling because as much as they take amazing images they are pretty quirky to use because of the swing lens exposure system.

I don't think it is better (it is a Lomo product), but they are available for much less brand new. They seem decent but nowhere like an xpan or a widelux in terms of pure quality. Maybe more fun though?

One was is in the classifieds a couple weeks a go for $99US. I missed it! It was a 202

Swinglens cameras are like a virus. Get close to it and you might catch it...... unless you have immunity. ;)
Check out Jeff Bridges excellent images and other widelux images online.
The images make people want these cameras.
If you catch it you'll buy it. If not forget about it at any price.
It's not like a rangefinder/viewfinder or even like an xpan...

Can you scan in sufficient quality or print from that format? I think you need to consider that first..

The Widelux effectively uses two normal sized 135 frames at a time and has a very sharp lens so there is a fair amount of negative real estate. I scanned my negs with my V700 and was impressed with the results.

I had an F8 for several years, and it was a fun FUN camera. But in the end I sold it in a bid to downsize and simplify my gear selection because those swing-lens pano cameras are quite limited, particularly in urban environments where any straight lines will have the signature bulging-out distortion. But for nature, lanscapes, etc. it was wonderful. I particularly loved it in FORESTS, and some of my favorite pictures were taken wit that Widelux F8.

Also good for people in nature.

If you find one in good working condition, it can be a very intersting camera to try.

Some Widelux F8 photos for your entertainment:

U2246I1491210206.SEQ.0.jpg

U2246I1491210209.SEQ.1.jpg

U2246I1491210256.SEQ.0.jpg

Should I buy a Widelux F7? . . .
No.

And the Horizont is worse. Years ago friend ordered a case of new ones (a dozen cameras) in order to get one that worked. He could do that because he was the Official Photographer to the Supreme Soviet. It worked most of the time but when he lent it to me in Moscow in 1990 he advised me to take several pictures of each subject because of the risk of banding. They are unlikely to have improved with keeping.

As a matter of interest, what will you be studying in the UK?

Cheers,

R.

And interestingly if you hold a Widelux the wrong way you'll have your fingers in the frame ... I have images that confirm this! lol :p

Back