Should I get the CLE? And what about Pre-Apsh lenses?

MemphisMonroe

Local time
8:35 AM
Hello there.

two fold question.

I'm currently shooting a M6 TTL 0.58 with a Elmarit-m 28mm V4 Pre-Asph lens. I have been thinking on adding a longer focal plane lens to my setup but I think the 50mm frame lines on the 0.58 is to small to work with, so I have been thinking about getting another body.

So I have been thinking about the CLE. it's small and neat and I can use it together with my M6. However, I know the CLE is also 0.58, but people seem to think the 40mm frame lines works perfect. Or would I be wasting my money on another 0.58 body?

Also I've heard some people say some older lenses won't work on the CLE, anyone know how the Elmarit v4 will fit?

I swapped between both 35mm and 50mm on my M4-P for ages but decided to get an M3 for the 50. Now I got dedicated setups for each focal lengths. Very convenient. The M3 vewfinder magnification is 0.92, ideal really.

Just a thought.

I shouldn't think you'll have a problem with the v4 Elmarit 28mm - I've used the v3 lens on a CLE in the past without issue.

I don’t believe there is a 50mm frameline in a CLE?

Only that v1 28/2.8 is a problem, as is the 21/3.4, due to the large rear end. There are some other minor lens incompatibilities as well, some 35s.

The only thing that got to me with the CLE was the lack of exposure lock via the shutter release, something I make use of a lot on the M7.

Hexar RF might be another option to consider, if the motorized advance isn’t a buzz kill.

Thanks for all reply’s guys

I don’t particularly need the 50, just a longer focal than 28/35 and I do like the idea of a 40. Good news my elmarit works. I just might pick up the CLE.
No one feels like the magnification is to low for the 40 in the CLE?

The CLE was designed with mainly 40mm in mind.
So 40mm lens is the central fit lens, and 28 or 90mm are add-on.

When I used the CLE with Minolta Rokkor 40mm, never had trouble to focus even in dim light and delivered nice crisp photos.

Only by design, the 28mm frame lines are always visible and no left line.
With 28mm mounted on CLE, that's uncluttered VF clear and contrasty more comfortable than Leica M with 0.72 that I used also.

I've used the CLE with the CV 28/3.5, the Elmarit 28/2.8 (second to newest version), Rokkor 40, and a the Minolta 90/4. These small, light lenses work well on the CLE, which has a nice viewfinder that is easy on the eyes. There is at least one thread in the CLE/CL RFF forum reporting user experience with a large number of 28mm lenses on the CLE.

Thanks for all reply’s guys

I don’t particularly need the 50, just a longer focal than 28/35 and I do like the idea of a 40. Good news my elmarit works. I just might pick up the CLE.
No one feels like the magnification is to low for the 40 in the CLE?

Learning to work with the 90/4 on the CLE took me a bit of time, but the focus was excellent once I became accustomed. The .58 finder is nice and bright and works well with a 28 or a 40.

At normal shooting distances, and not at minimum focus distance, the 40mm Minolta Rokkor or 40mm Voigtlander are an excellent match for the area covered by the 35mm framelines of your present M6 TTL 0.58. The lens must be modified to bring up the 35mm framelines, rather than the 50mm ones. But that is easy to do with a file! I'v modified both those lenses, and also a 40mm Summicron, for myself and others. So, you could pick up a 40mm Cv or Minolta and not have to buy another body unless or until you are ready to! But if you do get a second body, and if you bought an M3 (0.91) or an M2 or M4-P (both 0.72), then a 50mm is a better match with those bodies. But for me personally, I like the 40mm field of view better than the 50mm. SO I use my 40mm lenses on my M6, with its 35mm framelines, which are a close match at my usual shooting distances of 6 or 8 feet to infinity.

Back