Should I go for the Metal 15mm CV finder, or the plastic one?

Rob-F

Likes Leicas
Local time
1:46 AM
So I bought the 15mm CV in bayonet mount. To use on the M8, but now of course I want to use it on the M6 as well. So do I get the more cost-effective plastic one, which Stephen promises won't scratch glasses; or go for the newer metal model? And what, if anything, is better about the metal one? Stronger, I guess.

From what I can see looking at Stephen's site the plastic one is the older one and was replaced with a 21/25 steel one.

I have the 21mm plastic one which actually came with my 15mm Heliar in a kit that was marketed at M8 owners. It seems fine to me and I'm currently using it on my RD-1 ... I don't think I'd be paying the extra for the steel one personally as it seems very well made.

go for the plastic 21mm finder. it's lighter, cheaper, won't scratch glasses, won't have the 25mm frames to bother you. also, the new finder is pretty much impossible to adjust at home if the framelines are rotated since there is no easy access. the plastic one you just unscrew and adjust, much easier. the image on the new finder is better, but since the finder doesn't take pictures, i think it doesn't make such a big difference.

If you are wearing glasses, I will say looking for a decent 15mm finder for M6.

I bought a cv 21mm plastic finder for the very same reason. It is almost impossible to see whole finder (outside of 21mm line) for me, 21mm line was good though.

I recently got the 21/25 mm mtela finder to replace my older 21 mm plastic finder. It's main advantage is: it is just so much more compact. No problem to have it permanently on the camera...

I already have the Zeiss 21mm finder for use on the M8. I'm trying to decide between the 15mm plastic CV vs. the newer metal CV.

I see where the CameraQuest website mentions that the new one has bright-line frames. I can't quite tell from the wording if the plastic finder also has bright-line frames, or if they are a new feature added on the metal one.

go for the plastic 21mm finder. it's lighter, cheaper, won't scratch glasses, won't have the 25mm frames to bother you. also, the new finder is pretty much impossible to adjust at home if the framelines are rotated since there is no easy access. the plastic one you just unscrew and adjust, much easier. the image on the new finder is better, but since the finder doesn't take pictures, i think it doesn't make such a big difference.

I guess that would explain why the framelines on my metal CV 21mm VF seem to be irreversibly rotated. A trip back for repair had little effect. My approach is to level the camera using the built-in VF, then carefully shift to the 21mm VF for framing.

I have asked my family for a 21mm Leitz VF for my birthday. ;-(

Randy

I have both for the 15mm.

I prefer the view a bit more in the plastic, but the metal sits taller on the IIIf and clears the speed dial better, so I use that one.

There have been reports of a foot on the plastic VFs breaking. If you keep the VF on the camera in your bag it could be an issue. I get metal VFs whenever possible.

As Bigeye says, the plastic 15mm blocks the shutter dial, which is a nuisance but for me, no more than that. I looked at the metal one and after I recovered from the price shock I stayed with the plastic one, which came with the lens.

Back