Show us your SLR ..... WHAT?

Unfortunately all I have right now is a really poor phone cam for the digital thing :bang: :bang: :bang:

NTL, here's my 99.999% of the time SLR. A T90 with a 50/1.4 (and the 300TL flash) is a combination that is just about as good as it gets. I got this one silly cheap ($99) due to a very easy to fix issue with the DOF preview... :cool: There are only a small handful of cameras that I feel are on this level and even then it's so subjective that it's painful. Still, I love it and wish it had stayed in production much longer rather than serve as the non-AF prototype of the EOS cameras.

William
Oh. My. How funny to see this now. It was a very good camera till I started listening to the siren call of Brian and Nikon ... ;)

IMG_20230807_174457038.jpg

No pics, but here's all my stuff until Amazon kills the site:

Reports of the death of DPR have been greatly exaggerated... ;)

The company was sold to Gear Patrol earlier this year, and is still going strong!

Reports of the death of DPR have been greatly exaggerated... ;)

The company was sold to Gear Patrol earlier this year, and is still going strong!
"Gear Patrol". Hmmm. With a name like that, I worry the site will attract people who focus on equipment. I worry there will be bickering and sniping at each other over choice of camera, lens, mirrorless vs DSLR, or even sensor format. Lost will be the calm and inspiring discussions over images and technique which has been dpreview's legacy. At least we still have RFF.

"Gear Patrol". Hmmm. With a name like that, I worry the site will attract people who focus on equipment. I worry there will be bickering and sniping at each other over choice of camera, lens, mirrorless vs DSLR, or even sensor format. Lost will be the calm and inspiring discussions over images and technique which has been dpreview's legacy. At least we still have RFF.
Dear Pal,

Actually, it can still be of value if you ask specific questions on the various brand forums or search their reviews. As a used buyer I've made a lot of use of their camera review section.

I still visit DPReview on a regular basis. The activity level is nowhere near as active as it used to be. Time will tell if it actually picks up. But I can report that if you ask specific questions about older digital products, you now tend to receive answers from actual users of the product and not from the shills who question who anyone would ever want to use a 3- or 4-year-old camera. I count that as a positive change.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

Dear Pal,

Actually, it can still be of value if you ask specific questions on the various brand forums or search their reviews. As a used buyer I've made a lot of use of their camera review section.

My previous post was a bit sarcastic; some of the dpreview forums have always been crazy with tribal attitudes. It has been "gear patrol" for a long time.

;)

However, their reviews have always been excellent and thorough - perhaps reaching a peak of excellence five or so years ago (they seem to have consolidated the extensiveness of their reviews simply because of how much effort was required). So, you're correct, the dpreview camera and equipment reviews have been their most valuable legacy.

Last edited:
Arca Swiss Stovepipe 4x5 A S 9x12cm Film Holder SK Grimes 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

S K Grimes manufactured this 4x5 Graphic Film Holder, it's a new and different design, for Plaubel Makiflexes. Here is Makiflex Auto #3 with the Schneider barrel 270mm Tele-Xenar. The Film holder is Arca Swiss 9x12cm Film Holder, you cannot remove the darkslide until it is on the camera. The S K Grimes Adapter is solid and virtually light leak proof. The Stovepipe is also 4x5 Arca Swiss, the Monocular Eyepiece swivels up or back. Very High Eyepoint view with a nice black border. So for 9x9cm images on 9x12cm sheet film, this will be one of my main go-to setups. And as Plaubel used to say "Every Studio Needs a Reflex Camera".

K. Shapero: Butkas says he tested the FE shutter in Auto and found in the right light the top speed of 1/4000 though the camera shows 1/1000 as the top in manual.

Modern Photography reported the same thing with the Chinon Memotron in 1975.

The Minolta XD-7 can reach the 1/2000 speed though but only in one occasion. The newer versions of the XD-7 have a shutter speed dial with the 1/125 speed painted in green. If you set the speed dial to 1/125, select speed priority and set the lens to its minimum (e.g. f/22), the XD-7 offers a sort of a primitive programme mode where the camera will change the aperture/speed combination to match the exposure. In cases of hi-speed film being used in very bright scenes, the camera can reach up to 1/2000. In every other case, the shutter is limited to the top speed of 1/1000.

Back