Show your photos from a vintage folder

I think we should get some of us, me included, to post what we think are the best of our parents and grandparents pictures from before the '60s when they were using folders and box cameras or whatever.

Okay, I'll start with some photos my father made in the 1930's. The negatives are 6x9 cm, the camera might have been a Bessa (not sure, though). Subtitles are the original notes my father made.

U10398I1338075789.SEQ.0.jpg

"An der Werra"

U10398I1338075791.SEQ.0.jpg

"Zeltlager mit Dampfer"

I think we should get some of us, me included, to post what we think are the best of our parents and grandparents pictures from before the '60s when they were using folders and box cameras or whatever.

But my father had a TLR. Unfortunately, all those old photos I liked to look at as a kid, are long gone. Sigh!

You know, I had not thought about it, but those old photos are part of the reason I have had a life long love of photography. It may also explain why I like old cameras so much, of course, that may just be that I am now old....

U10398I1338163595.SEQ.0.jpg

"Lübeck"

"Lübeck"

Thank you for posting. This pic shows the Marktplatz (market place) and famous gothic Town Hall of the North German town of Lübeck. Something is written on the tents (?) that are put up there, it looks like "Weltfeind" ("enemy of the world") to me. I think the Nazis used that expression when referring to communism. Could it be the 1930s and part of some Nazi propaganda show? The busses in front seem to be unrelated, there is a signpost saying "Lübcker Stadt-Rundfahrten" ("Lübeck City Tours").

Okay, this is becoming interesting, with a quick search I found an article in German newspaper "Westfälische Rundschau" titled "Racist Propaganda and War-mongering" that reports that in 1936 the Nazis started an anti-communist propaganda roadshow titled "Weltfeind Nr. 1 - Der Bolschewismus" ("Enemy of the world no. 1 - Bolshevism"). This is a quote from the mentioned article (translation done by me, sorry for any corrupt English):

The re-militarization of the "Reich" was orchestrated with an anti-bolshevic campaign lanced by the Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda which started with a hate-stirring propaganda exhibition titled Enemy of the World No. 1 - Bolshevism alongside the Nuremberg Rally on Sep. 8, 1936. Two months later a similar propaganda show (only produced on a much bigger scale) started in Munich. Both [exhibitions] toured the country like a traveling circus and were shown in various cities.

[the original quote for German readers: "Die Remilitarisierung des Reiches erfolgte vor dem Hintergrund einer vom Propagandaministerium lancierten, antibolschewistischen Kampagne, deren Auftakt auf dem Nürnberger Parteitag am 8. September 1936 mit der Hetz- und Schandausstellung "Weltfeind Nr. 1 - Der Bolschewismus" begangen wurde. Zwei Monate später eröffnete in München eine vergleichbare, aber weitaus aufwändiger inszenierte Propagandaschau. Beide wurden, einem Wanderzirkus gleich, in verschiedenen Städten gezeigt."]

This is a picture posted in the quoted article that shows the trucks there were used for the roadshow with the "Weltfeind" logo, very similar to the one seen in the picture from Lübeck:
http://www.derwesten.de/img/incoming/origs1349837/1315646559-w300-h2700-/0020067176-0051402318.jpg

Thank you for posting. This pic shows the Marktplatz (market place) and famous gothic Town Hall of the North German town of Lübeck. Something is written on the tents (?) that are put up there, it looks like "Weltfeind" ("enemy of the world") to me. I think the Nazis used that expression when referring to communism. Could it be the 1930s and part of some Nazi propaganda show? The busses in front seem to be unrelated, there is a signpost saying "Lübecker Stadt-Rundfahrten" ("Lübeck City Tours").

Yes, must have been in the late(?) 1930s. It's a pity my father did not note the date in the list of his pics, he just wrote "Lübeck".

Just went through some pages of this old thread - and I'm AGAIN amazed by all those old folders. Quality photos they can deliver, plus pics from them seem to have some other quality. I get this feeling like when I look at the paintings. Not sure how to explain, but it's a very pleasing experience. Thanks for posting, everyone!

Back