Show your photos from a vintage folder

I experience the same problems with my Super Ikonas and Moskwa 5 when using them vertically. My strongest concern is how to hold the camera steady at long shutter speeds like 1/50 or even 1/25 s.
What is your technique?

I don't think I've standardized a technique yet. One thing I do consistently is focus with the camera in landscape orientation, then turn it. (This of course precludes photographing any fast action, but I am never using the Ikonta for that anyway.) I then proceed to fumble around with different ways to try to get a grip on the camera, since the usual "eating a sandwich" grip with the left hand does not work well in portrait orientation. I find that I often come close to gripping it in some way that accidentally trips the shutter release! So I'm still trying to find a good, repeatable way to hold it. The obvious answer is, put it on a tripod and turn the tripod head, and use a cable release. But that does not always work of course, if you didn't bring a tripod or, as in the case of this picture, cannot use it. (There was a low fence in the way exactly at the distance where I needed to set the tripod. So instead I leaned on it.)

--Dave

I agree that there is a real challenge to holding a 6x9 folder steady for a vertical shot.

I shot this at 1/5, and if you look closely, you can see that I was unsteay. Oh well, no second chances for reshooting this.

Super Ikonta with Tessar:

oldhorse.jpg

This is my first foray into medium format. These were taken with a No 1 Autographic Kodak Jr circa 1920. I think it belonged to my parents although I never saw them use it. It has been lying in a box of bits and pieces I took with me when I left home over 40 years ago. I recently had it CLA'd including re-gluing some of the cover and polishing it up. I'm very pleased with the results from such an old camera although there is a light leak I will have to track down. Any suggestions as to where to start looking?

med_U38643I1367492417.SEQ.0.jpg

med_U38643I1367492418.SEQ.1.jpg

med_U38643I1367492419.SEQ.2.jpg

cheers,
clay

For the light leak, use one of those new super small light weight led flash lights. Put it inside the camera w/ the bellows unfolded and the rear film swing door close... Find a dark room any light leak should show up.

Gary

Chiesetta con nebbia in Perchia, Umbria Italia

Chiesetta con nebbia in Perchia, Umbria Italia

Zeiss Super Ikonta 533/16 Kodak 160

Attachments

• chiesetta nebbia.jpg
    chiesetta nebbia.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 0
Zeiss Ikon Ikonta 523/16 with Opton Tessar, Arista Edu 100, Caffenol CM
I shot most of these around f4-5.6

I was pretty happy about the tones coming off the foliage

8827887968_20eb976329_c.jpg

8827876050_1018624117_c.jpg

8782088037_6d1749d13b_c.jpg

8828461188_76541d619f_c.jpg

This one came out of Kathmandu, and is one of my more favorite pictures of mine. From an Agfa Isolette III with the Apotar 4.5/85, on Velvia 50.

Back