Show your photos from a vintage folder

The Solinar on the Super Isolette is probably the best lens ever made by Agfa. I think it is also a class above the Solinars on the ordinary Isolette models.

Way, I also like your bows!

Interesting question. My sense is that the new Fuji/CV folder will produce photos to equal or higher quality to those from the old folders. My Iskra 2 does a beautiful job but the new Fuji/CV folder will be vastly easier to use with a working meter, easier focusing, and a much brighter viewfinder. It will cost 8 times more than my Iskra 2 but ease of use usually means more photos taken and a higher percentage of acceptable shots. A higher percentage of acceptable analog photos means a measurable lower cost per photos. But it would take a lot of acceptable photos to makeup for an 8-fold higher cost of entry.

There is a point at which an old camera's "charm" becomes a "chore." Losing the better part of a roll from a light leak in the Iskra because I did not take enough care when putting the back on...or losing 4 frames with my Balda because of the finicky film advance...those things wiegh pretty heavily on the mind when it comes time to decide which cameras to slip in the bag.
Also, many of my shooting opportunities are grab shot when with the family and they are not patient. Therefore I rush and make more errors, or hesitate to take the extra moments to get out the light meter, etc....
I love my old folders, but I'd buy the 667 in a heartbeat if it would not be such a financially irresponsible thing to do.

I would beg to differ regarding the new Fuji. It all depends on one's idea of a good lens. Judging from the performance of Fuji lenses in their GW6x9 models, one can bet on a very sharp lens with high and contrasty colours.

But there are also those like yours truly who would go for the less contrasty but more shadow details produced by older German lenses. Photographs produced by these lenses may be less sharp, but definitely more creamy, and much less easy to cause eye-fatique when being looked at for a longer time.

I hope I will be able to try the new Fuji soon. And I will reserve my comment after that event. But how I judge len performance would remain the same.

The Fuji 100/3.5 on my GL690 RF camera is very sharp by any standard. It is the only camera lens that has challenged the Planar lens on my Rolleiflex 2.8D TLR.

Andrew - I believe the above photo was taken with Scotty's very own Suzuki PressVan folding camera - a very rare bird.

Yes Solinar it is the Suzuki Press Van camera, Thanks Chippy for posting the picture. I went to my Flickr page, highlighted the link and then pasted it in the message section and you can see that is what it did for me in the reply box above. I don't know why it isn't working for me? I did what Solinar said in the show your folder thread ,but I won't work. Am I supposed to log in first or goto a paticular section on my Flickr Page?

The film that was used was Kodak Ektar 120, had one roll developed at Walmat for only .90.

Another one from my Agfa Super Isolette:

U5622I1237478158.SEQ.0.jpg

Against the sun with my Isolette III with Solinar 4,5/85mm, no lens shade, Fuji Neopan 400/Rodinal.

Attachments

• 120-2009-028.04.jpg
    120-2009-028.04.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 120-2009-028.07.jpg
    120-2009-028.07.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
  • 120-2009-028.09.jpg
    120-2009-028.09.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 0
They look like they would. Doesn't look freakishly big and can't be smaller. A 6x6 is pretty much a 6x6.

Many years ago I bought and sold many folders, some were repaired, some taken apart for parts and some converted to usable cameras with different lenses. I did take an interest in measuring many of their frame sizes. Many 6x6 were in fact 5.6x5.6. The commonly seen range was from 5.2 to 5.6 measuring by opening their backs and measuring the metal frames. I did not measure the actual bellow sizes though. The biggest frame size I came across was a Bessa II which measured 5.6x9.2 and there was really only a thin line between each frame (and one has to make sure when winding the film the frame number is dead centred. Many other Bessa IIs I had only bearly reached 9cm. Many Agfas reached 8.8 only.

it is actually a 6x7 though...

Aw shucks!

not that it matters, new bellows can be had for the old girls if need be from a few different sources (at a cost).....

At a damned high cost. It's amazing how much origami sells for these days.

though apart from say isolettes (agfa) renown for poor bellows and occasionally a few others (mostly low end cameras) it it amazing how often the bellows are still perfectly serviceable on these cameras near 70 years old

Yeah, after the NOS Kodak bellows ran out, I used to use Kodak 66 cameras as cheap bellows donors until I made the mistake of opening my mouth about it and everyone else found out about them. Seems like overnight they went from $5 to sometimes as much as $50 on ebay.

Many years ago I bought and sold many folders, some were repaired, some taken apart for parts and some converted to usable cameras with different lenses. I did take an interest in measuring many of their frame sizes. Many 6x6 were in fact 5.6x5.6. The commonly seen range was from 5.2 to 5.6 measuring by opening their backs and measuring the metal frames. I did not measure the actual bellow sizes though. The biggest frame size I came across was a Bessa II which measured 5.6x9.2 and there was really only a thin line between each frame (and one has to make sure when winding the film the frame number is dead centred. Many other Bessa IIs I had only bearly reached 9cm. Many Agfas reached 8.8 only.

Bellows? You obviously don't need no stinkin' bellows. :D

Well, into Isolettes, I have transplanted bellows from Frankas, Baldas, Kodaks, Nettars, and various NOS 6x6 bellows without a hitch. They all fit without going into the film frame. There must be a lot less variation in 6x6 bellows.

who's origami (sounds like folded paper)?[edit; uh duh i get it now!!!] but yeah they are dammed expensive, but at $2200 for a new folder a think 50 bucks or so is a bargain LOL

told ya you are meant to keep these things secrect :D:p

Well, I guess there is no help for it now -- I'm going to have to start folding my own soon.

Back