Show your pictures made with Damaged Glass

Sonnar Brian

Product of the Fifties
Staff member
Local time
7:07 PM
Canon 50/1.8 Black, originally bought for parts. Etched glass behind the aperture, common on the Black Canons. I used a 3M Polishing Sheet and took some of the damage off. You can still see residual damage shining a light into it, but was too good to scrap.

On the M8, 40->43 Step Up ring, B&W IR/UV, and 43mm vented hood.

At F1.8:
picture.php

F4:
picture.php

At F1.8, and close-up (focus on the blade run across the front):
picture.php

100% crop:
picture.php

At F4:

picture.php

100% crop:

picture.php

Some Color:
F1.8
picture.php

F4:
picture.php

I've come to the conclusion that etched glass on a Leica M8 is about the same as an Anti-Aliasing filter on a DSLR. No Moire!

This shot was taken with a Summar that had a badly scratched front element. Glass looked as though it had been cleaned with sandpaper.

p535671285-5.jpg

I think Rommel must have owned the LTM Sonnar that was used for this picture:
at F1.5:
picture.php

I cleaned a lot of sand and grit from the helical. And it went across the front element before getting to it!

I have an ueberscratched J8 and it delivered very sharp pictures. I thought it was luck or something.
Now seeing all your pics and can't see a flaw in them.
Now I am almost sure I can buy badly damaged lens without fear, the only thing is that it should operate correctly :D

I finally received my m42 screw mount adapter for this Super Tac with the bug in it....

P2122640.jpg

and my first shots with it...

_3020214.jpg

_3020231.jpg

Actually the little bug fell off the lens after I chiseled on the beauty ring in an desperate and futile attempt to get it past the damaged filter threads. Poor beauty ring.
But I like the Super Tacumar 50mm 1.4.

I just wish I could find a 21mm lens that was as sharp and had nice bokeh for $10 like I got the tac for.

Here's one from an Ikoflex with Opton Tessar that has a front element that is horribly etched from some fungus that apparently was growing on it (partly in it, I guess) before I bought it.

I kind of like the effect.

A Jupiter 3 with a big chunk of glass (well, bigger than the head of a pin) gouged out of the front element:

3219420868_7a9ef67849.jpg

I've got some more images to upload, including a Rigid Summicron with chunks missing from the middle group, painted black.
The lenses produce must better images than you would think. Flare is the worst problem, using a hood is made even more important. Thet make great portrait lenses.

The following was shot with a Canon LTM 50mm f1.2 wide open. The front element looks as if it was cleaned with glass paper and has some nasty gouges but so long as there is no back-lighting it shoots pretty well - if low in contrast.

F1000015.jpg

Stopped down a tad it does even better

F1000017.jpg

Back