Silly question - OK to change SP lenses out in the field?

rob.nyc1

Established
Local time
4:31 PM
Last week I changed lenses mid roll in a bright snowy scene, with the sun to my back. Got an SP 05 with a cloth shutter.

I thought nothing of it, I’ve done it a million times with my other cameras with no issues.

However … I was reading the SP manual and it says to avoid changing lenses in bright light. Logically I don’t understand this - lens off is almost like walking around with my 50mm 1.4 open wide.

It is nevertheless concerning. Is the film fried? Did I ruin any shots? I know this seems silly but just thought I’d ask to be safe.

Thanks!

Most likely you will see two parallel light leaks on the top and bottom of your film. This has happened to me before. Dont take my word on this but I suspect that the two black velvet strips that lays behind the shutter ribbons are what allows for stray light to get through. Its likely much worse now given how old the velvet material is. I remember reading somewhere that Nikon was figuring out the best way to improve light baffels in their cameras well into the 1970s so i guess it was a ongoing issue in their rangefinder days.

Attachments

• Scan 147.jpeg
    Scan 147.jpeg
    349.7 KB · Views: 11
This is a recently made 2005 camera though. I doubt he'll have any issues. I'm having plenty of problems with my S2's shutter right now - slow speeds not working and the highest are capping but no light leaks.

OP: don't go nuts but don't be paranoid either.

Most likely you will see two parallel light leaks on the top and bottom of your film. This has happened to me before. Dont take my word on this but I suspect that the two black velvet strips that lays behind the shutter ribbons are what allows for stray light to get through. Its likely much worse now given how old the velvet material is. I remember reading somewhere that Nikon was figuring out the best way to improve light baffels in their cameras well into the 1970s so i guess it was a ongoing issue in their rangefinder days.

This would only happen on one frame, right? So worst case, I fried only a couple of shots on the roll.

Re. other reply, I do hope the vintage of the camera will help mitigate any potential issues … I guess I’ll have to wait to find out when I get home from traveling and develop the roll.

This would only happen on one frame, right? So worst case, I fried only a couple of shots on the roll.

Re. other reply, I do hope the vintage of the camera will help mitigate any potential issues … I guess I’ll have to wait to find out when I get home from traveling and develop the roll.
Only one frame. I never had repeated frames when that type of light leak happens to me. And honestly, that light leak happened when I was charging a lens and the camera, without a lens, was pointed up getting direct afternoon sunlight. Just like what the other comment says, Dont get paranoid about it.

I change lenses on the fly plenty of times on my S2/SP and never had problems with light leaks or similar. Since I often go from the 50 to 35 or 28 this means juggling rear caps etc. which does mean it's not the quickest operation, but I try to be reasonably quick about it. (Read 10-20 seconds) I also try to do it in the shade when possible, but I would not go indoors or do anything extra just to change lenses.

No issues,

For the few moments it takes to change a lens, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if you can, maybe turn away from the direct sunlight. Common sense stuff.

I've changed lenses on my SP and never had a problem with light leaks. I suspect in the past somebody's failing light seals have become another rangefinder myth.

Back