Sizzling GSN

Fedzilla_Bob

man with cat
Local time
9:00 AM
I know that denishr just finished his GT (can't wait to see his images from it). But...

My GSN makes a Sizzlin' sound when I am pressing in the shutter release. Its kind of like an arcing sound. I didn't think the battery could have that much juice.

Has anyone identified the source of the sound? I wan't to make it go away.

Last edited:
Bob, in that thread on my repairs, it was suggested that the "sizzling" sound comes from the coils in the lens itself - either dirty contacts or misadjustment of switch position. I left the lens alone - I just replaced the pad and cleaned the contacts along the shutter release shaft - now it does not "sizzle" that often.

I promise to post some shots as soon as possible :)

Denis

Thanks Denis!- didn't mean to usurp your thread. I was hoping that there might be more info out there. It seems like we aren't the only shooters with sizzling electros.

I too had this on a GSN and GTN. The solution for the GTN was to clean the sliding contacts and ensure that the "extra" contact on top of the slider nearest the lens was also making good contact (that may sound a bit odd, but there is a second contact above the pcb that contacts the back of the slider).

The GSN has deeper problems requiring a strip down of the shutter assy and possible replacement of the control circuit - it looks like someone has been inside before me with a 200 watt soldering iron :bang:

greyhoundman said:
The arrows in the pictures below, show the areas that have to be very clean. This keeps resistance from causing the electromagnetic coil to buzz or sizzle.
Thanks g-man! I know I can seem like a bonehead now and then. Pictures really help.

What are you using to clean these contacts? Denatured alchohol or Deoxit?
I did notice once that there was condensation in the camera during our rains here. the ambient humidity in San Diego during january was about 80%. Very unusual for this location- That's when it isn't an EL Nino year, like this one.

Try to chek out this link.

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?manuals.html~mainFrame

Look at the bottom of the GSN-page under "Broken GSN"

My GSN made this hissing sound (from the lightmeter) when I first got it but vent away :) when I started to use it more often

Also my CC Electro needed some "exercise" (to move the shutterbutton slowly up and down a lot of times) before the lightmeters worked well

Greatings AN

Last edited:
Back