Slightly Used Black SP on Ebay

I presumed the "slightly used" part was ironic (before looking at the camera), but, man, that thing has been through the wars, literally.

It's probably worth something, but $870 with eight bids (as I write this)? No, no, no...

Edit: Of course, at least the seller's being straight-up regarding the camera's condition, complete with decent photos...not exactly common practice on the 'Bay.

- Barrett

Last edited:
I saw item 200366646454 before this thread was posted and wondered what could have happened to give that cam such "character". Has it gone through a fire? Spent the last ten years on the bottom of the ocean? Meanwhile, at the opposite end of the spectrum, look at eBay item 270423395990. Can some of the experts in the house please tell me what makes this unit worth its asking price? No serial numbers are provided, but what, apart from its "character", makes it so "super rare"?

I saw item 200366646454 before this thread was posted and wondered what could have happened to give that cam such "character". Has it gone through a fire? Spent the last ten years on the bottom of the ocean?
Merely a really hard life on the front lines of PJ work, most likely. I've seen Leica Ms (not to mention plenty of Nikon Fs, Canon F-1s et al) that looked that bad and worse.

Meanwhile, at the opposite end of the spectrum, look at eBay item 270423395990. Can some of the experts in the house please tell me what makes this unit worth its asking price? No serial numbers are provided, but what, apart from its "character", makes it so "super rare"?
Other than it being a really nice example of an original SP, beats me. (Over to you, Fred, and the Bartender, on this one.)

- Barrett

RE: Ebay item 270423395990 referred to in my above post; Fred, from the Nikon HS, you are saying this item is an "obvious repaint," right? What do you see that makes this repaint job so "obvious"? I looked at this listing this a.m. and it is still there at the original price. So, if it is a fake job and you, of the Nikon HS, have notified of them this, your "opinion" has apparently had no impact. But as you say of yourself, "I've been told my opinions are rubbish". Regards, CF

This supposedly original black SP, in almost the same condition as the one on Ebay, just showed up on the Yahoo Japan auctions here (link). The seller has listed it at 850,000 yen. Probably would have been a hard sell at this price even back in the days of irrational exuberance. He's got buckleys of getting that much for it now. What say you, Fred? Is it original?

astonmartin_db_5-img600x450-12488318063mkwjx24490.jpg

astonmartin_db_5-img600x450-1248831806rxtdee24490.jpg

astonmartin_db_5-img600x450-12488318077iasqh24490.jpg

Back