Small flash unit for Retina lllc and lla?

Tim Murphy

Well-known
Local time
6:23 PM
Dear Board,

I have a restored Retina lllc heading back from Oregon now. I'd like some advice and/or recommendations for a small flash unit. I have older manual flashes with sync cords that I can test fire with the camera, but once I know it works properly with a flash, I'd like to get something smaller. A Vivitar 283 or 285 is a bit much on a Retina for me.

New or used will be an option, but I'd like something simple and small that runs on 2AA's. I know that years ago Vivitar and Sunpak both made small flashes like that, but I recall little about those older flashes. Can anyone recommend an older flash to look for? Barring that, has anyone used the Godox Junior on a Retina or similar flash, on a smaller older RF camera.

Just looking for options at this point so nay ideas or suggestions will be welcome.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

Above- an adapter for using hot shoe flashes with PC cord. I have one of these somewhere... Would allow many more choices.

I have one of these, uses 4 'AA' batteries- but the center of gravity is low, towards the camera. The trick is to find one with the PC cord, which will disable the hot-shoe.

As a follow-up, I placed 4 'AA' batteries in the Sunpak 144 flash, and put it on the Retina. In the Retina Fitted case, using the case strap- the camera stays upright with the flash on it. The camera is heavy enough to balance the camera with flash on it.

I use a Nikon SB-30 on an Impact hot-shoe to PC adapter with my Retina IIc/IIIc. It's small, light, and powerful enough; allows four different settings for aperture on Auto mode, and has three different settings for Manual output as well.

Kodak Retina IIc + Nikon SB-30

The Godox Lux Junior looks reasonable. I haven't used one. I have older (period) flashes bulb and electronic. Think OG Godox Lux Senior. On camera weights are broadly similar to the Godox options, but function on the newer flashes is much better. The old electronic flash is 1.5kg/ 3lbs, but most of that is slung over your shoulder. Oh, and the wall power cord (!) is only a few feet long.

I'd grab the Senior to match visually, but reviews and your preferences suggest the Junior. I think it's a good bet.

Back