Sneaky (cat!)

Chriscrawfordphoto

Real Men Shoot Film.
Local time
9:19 AM
Near then end of last year, a cat started coming around my house in the middle of the night. He was very skinny and always hungry, so I started feeding him. He was extremely affectionate, and my son and I.

We thought he was a stray, and named him Sneaky, because he kept trying to slip in the house every time we opened the door, and he became very good at it. He's a very clever kitty.

PB150053.jpg

PB150066.jpg

A couple months ago, I found out that he belongs to someone who lives in the small trailer park across the street from my house in Fort Wayne. Also found out he has fleas. I started flea-treating him, and stopped letting him in my house, but continued feeding him.

P4230002.jpg

P4230010.jpg

He is finally gaining weight. He comes over every day now and spends most of his time sleeping on top of my car or hanging around the yard.

P5090013.jpg

P5090016.jpg

P5190046.jpg

He is trying to get me to come out and feed him in the photo above.

P5220075.jpg

"The Cadillac CTS is the world's finest CAT TREE. Its dual overhead cam V6 and unique styling give your feline master the power he needs and the luxury he DESERVES."

Sneaky often sits or sleeps atop my car while waiting for me to come out with food.

P5220069.jpg

I was grilling some STEAKS, and Sneaky was on the car, waiting for his share! He ate good that night.

A few weeks ago, I went and knocked on the door of the trailer where Sneaky's real owners live. A man and woman live there together. The trailer is crappy and really rundown. The guy answers the door wearing a T-shirt with a big marijuana leaf on it, and he reeked of pot. I told him his cat was starving and had fleas, and he acted like it was no big deal (he was pretty high. I doubt he remembers my visit). I went home and my son says to me: "Dad you smell like you just smoked a ton of weed!" I didn't even go in the damned trailer, I ended up smelling like marijuana from standing outside the trailer talking to the pothead loser who lives there.

So, these idiots can afford drugs, but don't care about feeding their cat or taking care of his health (fleas). They also have at least 6 other cats and a dog in that trailer. That's more than you're legally allowed in Fort Wayne.

My son and I have adopted Sneaky. Once the fleas are all gone, he's staying with us for good.

P5290065.jpg

A couple nights ago, I was outside photographing the sky, while Sneaky sat on my house's AC unit and supervised. After my son came out, Sneaky went and began rubbing his legs.

P5290077.jpg

Yesterday morning, around 6am, I was out playing with Sneaky when he suddenly darted under my car. I heard a loud squeaking, and a shrew ran out. He spent the next half-hour tormenting it until it died. While working on the shrew, he paused for a minute to catch a moth, which he instantly ate! He did NOT eat the shrew, however. It was purely murder for fun :p

P5310143.jpg

P5310146.jpg

P5310150.jpg

P5310133.jpg

He is extremely cuddly and affectionate. He still eats like he's starving. I've never seen a cat attack a food bowl and gulp down food as fast as he does. He's used to going without or competing with 6 other cats for scarce food.

Sneaky adopted you and your son, not you and your son adopted Sneaky. Sometimes cats are smarter than their previous owners. You are lucky to have him (or her ?). By the way, I never saw a mouse in my neighborhood when I had Colby.

Great photos of Sneaky, I could never get a good one of Colby.

Thanks, everyone. Sneaky is a great cat. He's outside now waiting on dinner, We're grilling chicken and he's keeping an eye on the grill!

Sneaky is a smart cat as well as a handsome one. He chose his new servants well!

Nice story and pictures Chris. Thanks for sharing.

The thing about cats (which I love) is that they have a tendency to adopt a person and then stick with them if well cared for. It looks like this cat is a beauty and will do that with you.

I used to live in a small block of townhouses and a neighbor several houses removed, owned a Burmese cat which adopted me after my own cat died. It somehow seemed to have an instinct that I was open to a relationship with the cat. And when I was in the back yard hanging clothes out to dry I would frequently see the cat which had sensed me jump onto the fence top and make its way to me from 30-40 meters away. It thought nothing of approaching me to say hello, then climbing the stairs, wandering into my bedroom and making itself at home on my bed. Which was OK by me as it was pretty, friendly and clean and I was happy that it had the free run of my house. In that case the cat was well cared for by its owners and only stayed with me when it wanted a "holiday" but I was certainly a kind of adoptive / foster parent. In fact I suppose I was a kind of "cat AirB&B".

Many people who have never owned a good cat believe that cats are not people friendly like dogs. I know they are wrong - a good cat is a treasure and there is nothing better than having a cat sit on your lap and purr. Cheaper than a therapist!

My present cat (a Tonkinese) is quite superb - loving, friendly playful and oh so vocal when she wants to communicate, which is often. As I write this she is sitting on my desk beside the computer grumbling that I am not paying her enough attention. Which is one of her other endearing but sometimes slightly annoying habits. Still, far better this than a cat which avoids contact with its human family.

Chris, if you can give the cat a bath, Dawn Ultra is death to fleas! My vet uses it for washing all the animals. Near as we can figure, the Dawn strips the flea's exoschelton of it's oils and the fleas dehydrate and die.

Chris, if you can give the cat a bath, Dawn Ultra is death to fleas! My vet uses it for washing all the animals. Near as we can figure, the Dawn strips the flea's exoschelton of it's oils and the fleas dehydrate and die.

I've heard that. Problem is that Sneaky has LONG SHARP CLAWS and my experiences with cats show that bathing them qualifies as a suicide attempt. :p

Good story... We've found that there IS a way, Chris, and it involves trust and a hand-held shower head up-close and personal!

I've heard that. Problem is that Sneaky has LONG SHARP CLAWS and my experiences with cats show that bathing them qualifies as a suicide attempt. :p

I would use the cowards way out. That is, a systemic anti flea liquid, a few drops of which is applied to the back of the cat's neck where it cannot be licked off and is absorbed into the cat's system.

As for washing the cat. I tried that once but got fur all over my tongue. :) (Thank you Steve Martin)

Seriously though, unless the cat is filthy I wonder if washing is necessary if you follow the above route for dealing with the fleas. On the other hand most cats I have met adore being brushed which is a way of helping them groom themselves especially long haired cats like upir adoptee.

I would use the cowards way out. That is, a systemic anti flea liquid, a few drops of which is applied to the back of the cat's neck where it cannot be licked off and is absorbed into the cat's system.

As for washing the cat. I tried that once but got fur all over my tongue. :) (Thank you Steve Martin)

Seriously though, unless the cat is filthy I wonder if washing is necessary if you follow the above route for dealing with the fleas. On the other hand most cats I have met adore being brushed which is a way of helping them groom themselves especially long haired cats like upir adoptee.

I'm using the flea medicine that goes on the cat's neck. The veterinarian told me that it takes three months of treatment to completely break the flea's life cycle. Even if I kill adults on the cat, there are still eggs that will hatch later.

I have a weakened immune system so I have to be careful about disease. I don't want fleas in my house; I can't afford to get rid of them if I get my house infested, and I can't afford anymore medical bills or getting severely ill again. Last year, I almost died from a lung infection.

Back