So, who's happy with the X-Pro1?

Well the fact that the XPro1 does not allow you to control shutter, goes a long way against the full manual control in video that I would need.

Video? Really?!

Purpose-built video equipment is about the same price and far more functional (only the NEX series seems to do even halfway well with it out-of-the box). The video capability built into mirrorless cameras is more of a fun addition. Though video on a compact still camera really serves no serious purpose, it probably does not take much more engineering to add - and JCII probably requires it to be added to all Japanese cameras (ok, kidding... JCII doesn't exist anymore).

The X-Pro1 has many things that could be better implemented (primarily in firmware), but video is not even near the top of the list of fix-it items.

Dante

Perhaps the wrong camera for the task? :rolleyes:

Well, I wasn't going to buy the XPro1 for its video. I was saying that if it had shutter control, it would be a pretty big step closer to making my purchasing decisions a harder one. Its other features are just right though.

The future is already here. The Canon 5D Mk II, the newer Nikons, and everything after that, included that amalgamation that you talk about.

Not quite yet, almost, sort of, but not quite yet. By that I mean a system that can do both stills and motion-capture equally well in one simple package. By that I mean for example raw/dng capture in both stills and motion, full frame for both stills and motion, form factor for both stills and motion.

The DSLRs are still predominantly still photography cameras that can do video really well. On the other hand, the Red cameras are predominantly cinematic cameras that can do still photography very well. So we're almost there in terms of a single camera that can do both equally well.

Put it this way; they can put all the bells and whistles into an iPhone (music player, camera, calendar, gaming platform, GPS, video camera etc. etc. etc. ) I'm still only going to use it as a phone

I feel the same way with regards to my phone.

Similarly, while I have the video functionality (and have had it) in the X-Pro1, the x10 and the Ricoh GRD II (and III), I still only use the camera as a camera and not as a video camera.

Yeah I can totally understand that because I assume it's safe to say that you come from a still photography background and have little interest in video.

So that's why I would say, that unless Fuji decides to really focus (pardon the pun) on making the X-Pro1's video functionality a main selling feature, then you're likely going to have to either "wait" for the right video/still camera for yourself or buy that Canon 5D MK III :)

I know :rolleyes: But still, as I explained in my previous post though, the XPro1 is almost there with a decent video function.

Yes I am one of the happy ones with my Fuji, despite it's flaws, and limits, the results are very much to my liking.

The X-Pro 1 has exceeded my expectations and I am glad to not have to carry around a large, cumbersome DSLR any more! It takes some time to learn the peculiarities of the camera but, when you do, it is a very simple shooting experience. Fuji got this mostly right, in my opinion.

I love my X-Pro1 after a week of shooting, and with all the negative reviews and whatever I finally decided to just try it for myself. Like others, it has exceeded my expectations in every department. Maybe it was the firmware update, or all the big wig reviewers tested pre-production models, but my experience hasn't been anything other than fantastic.

I made a review on my blog with my findings, I owned an M8, I tried an NEX-7 and wholeheartedly wanted to avoid an dSLR system again.
http://lamlux.net/review-the-fujifilm-x-pro1-and-the-digital-conundrum/

Back