So ... why does the fiteeen year old Epson RD1 capture colours so well?

I dunno. I only look at raw files and never saw much different about the R-D1 raw files compared to other cameras of its resolution and time period. The little I looked at JPEG out of the camera didn't hold a candle to what comes out of my Olympus E-1.

I won't try to compare it with my Leica SL or CL, the differences there are so great it would be unkind to the Epson R-D1.

G

I'd forgotten my old D70 struggled with reds. These look great. Obviously a well designed sensor and processing chip behind it.

This post illustrates the problem with digital stuff. What one person sees on their monitor is not what someone else sees, especially w/ colour.

It should be the same, if the monitor is calibrated and the image is in published as sRGB. Without a calibrated monitor, how would you edit or PP any color images?

M9 certainly has issues with red, as does the M10, to a lesser extent. I have often wondered why as well, especially when futzing around with the red hue and saturation sliders.

In part it is due to weak IR filtration on the Leica sensors. Using a UV+IR cut filter helped tame the blown red channels on my M 262, although at the expense of increased flare when shooting in to the sun. Our Olympus cameras seem to do the same as well.

I have been shocked by both the M9 and the Fuji scanner they use to scan my negatives. But the M9 dose sometimes produce beautiful reds. I even find it varies with lenses. The DR Summicron is my best lens for photographing red roses. The Elmar M 50 sometimes produces unrescuable pictures of red roses.

This Falcon has a lovely red I agree, but I also see something that Ko.Fe sees: a certain flatness overall which might be part of the post-processing.

M9: not what I saw at all -

with Elmar M 50

med_U28906I1366868478.SEQ.0.jpg

This is (probably C Biogon 35) -

med_U28906I1371261468.SEQ.0.jpg

And this also the M9 and Elmar M 50 and this is exactly what I saw. Raw file, minimal pp -

med_U28906I1382739207.SEQ.0.jpg

Aside from the CCD vs CMOS differences, the R-D1 was meant to be a limited-production showpiece for Seiko-Epson technological prowess circa 2004.

Consequently, I would assume that the designers took very special care to distinguish the 'look' of the color output from that of contemporary offerings from Nikon, Canon et al.

The oft-stated perception that the colors still look very pleasing compared to modern cameras is a testament to the choices made by the Epson engineers more than 15 years ago.

The only fault I ever found with the R-D1 color was a slight purple tinge in some black fabrics which was completely cured by the addition of external IR/UV filters.

That Falcon is definitely RED. I love it.

People often rave about the Fuji color palette but I really dislike Fuji's rendering of red. It's either orange or magenta but never a true red. I love my Fuji cameras but I'm mostly a B&W Raw shooter so the color palette doesn't really bother me. As others have stated, colors are subjective so maybe it's as much my color vision as the sensor/processor/optics/software mix that affects how I see various shades of colors.

But, yeah. I love that red car.

That Falcon is definitely RED. I love it.

People often rave about the Fuji color palette but I really dislike Fuji's rendering of red. It's either orange or magenta but never a true red. I love my Fuji cameras but I'm mostly a B&W Raw shooter so the color palette doesn't really bother me. As others have stated, colors are subjective so maybe it's as much my color vision as the sensor/processor/optics/software mix that affects how I see various shades of colors.

But, yeah. I love that red car.

I fell in love with it the moment I laid eyes on it ... then remembered I had my camera with me. :)

I love the colors I get from these old 6 MPix CCDs. I think the Pentax *ist D has the same Sony sensor (these are straight out of camera JPEG experiments taken with an old Trioplan lens quite a while ago):

Cheers!

Abbazz

Those are nice colors all right. And another old camera that has similar beautiful images is my old Panasonic Lumix L1. Mine is slowly dying (it often gives exposure errors when shot in program or aperture mode) but works still on full manual. But by gosh are its images nice!

Hi Willie 901, I don't have a tech background but appreciate your explanations as to why this sensor is giving this great color rendering. Many thanks, Peter

I've nothing to add to the color thread, but that Falcon really brings back memories. That year model was my first car as a teen ager. It was in great condition, but the engine was well past its prime when I bought it. Had to get a running start to get up a steep hill! Same red color, though not a convertible. Thanks for the memory.

Back