So why not just use film?

even though 'Film' is a complete pain in the A**... I still Love it, Imperfections and All

when I shoot digital the 'Resolution' and 'Instant Viewing' make it Supreme
but I never feel satisfied, Can't get no

The process of Shooting film and home processing gives me a sense of fulfillment ...
A Reward~ Rewarding

That's the Difference for Me

I went back to film because the images look just so much better to my eye, richer and realer, no contest at all. I freely admit that I don’t have the PP skills and eye to make digital images look as good - I know there are a small minority of photographers who have that talent because I have seen their work, but my life is too short, so film.

As for the original question, I think “digital-looking” has over the years come to mean digital artifacts, a bad thing, so that is probably why.

For me at least, it just got a little bit harder. META35 will not be updated to work with 64bit OS's. I learned that after having contacted its author. So, it looks like back to carrying around a notepad for EXIF data. :D :D

Nevertheless, Negative Lab Pro has sure simplified the conversion process. So, while I still shoot digital, NLP has streamlined my workflow. I just now have to take better pictures. LOL

Offering another angle for film vs. digital:

I have a Nikon SP 2005 with beautiful, post year-2000 made 50mm and 35mm lenses, and a Rollei 35 Classic.

These cameras give me everything I could ever want in making a photograph, for what I like to shoot.

I'll never feel like they are made obsolete by a newer model with upgraded technology, because there's nothing intrinsically upgradeable about their designs. They expose light on film, with beautiful construction, ergonomics, and results. That's it.

And somewhat of a more personal reason:

I'm a software engineer working in finance with long hours. I have enough backlit screens and electronics in my life. Walking around the city with only a mechanical camera and an extra roll of film, totally unplugged, is a supremely meditative and wonderful feeling.

I sometimes try to get my film and digital shots to look the same just to see if I can do it. I get pretty close sometimes.

"So why not just shoot film?"

Why should I limit myself that way when I can use both film and digital capture to get the results I want, at my own discretion? Sure they're different: it's up to me to know how to get what I want from both capture mediums.

Which tree do you prefer?

med_U45148I1411882732.SEQ.1.jpg

med_U45148I1552616427.SEQ.0.jpg

med_U45148I1544414354.SEQ.1.jpg

This is a take-home essay question. When you are finished, please mail your answer to:

Santa Claus
North Pole

Maybe he will send you the camera of your dreams! Or maybe he will send you GPS coordinates to a tree worth seeing, and just maybe photographing with the camera you happen to have with you.

haha on ME, new post 6 MONTHS LATER...I shoot Film, I shoot DIGI

Does it really matter anymore what You shoot with
It's the Photo that really counts, whether it draws the Viewer in , makes the viewer react

This is one of my favorite digi shots, leica T.... nothing to do with trying to be filmlike ...who cares about that
just LOVE it's grit and Resolution, blows my mind

wondering
by Helen Hill, on Flickr

Back